IGNORED

Steward Headlock

The Original OTIB

17 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Nope, sorry but I’m not having that in the slightest.

You encroach on the playing surface in light of recent events at games and you deserve everything you get. I understand how elated you might be but you simply cannot go on the pitch. It really is as simple as that. Those fans have ruined what should’ve been a memorable away day for themselves.

So,dragging someone to the ground in this way,in these circumstances justifies the possibility of serious life changing injury and believe it or not even death??

If a tragic outcome had resulted here you believe it would have been deserved?? ..

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Thought Patterson’s headlock on Weimann looked more dangerous! ?

at 4:07 / 4:08 he even applies more force whilst dragging. Such an abrupt motion could break his neck. Yes: should not be on the pitch. Excessive force? Hell yes. A complaint should be made. That idiot should not be involved in stewarding. Most of the others were cleared without too much fuss.

No need for a headlock in this instance whatsoever. Dangerous, excessive use of force- could have killed the guy!

*Gets on soapbox*

Don't know how Sheffield United deal with their stewarding, especially of away fans but increasingly commonplace is the use of nightclub bouncers etc as stewards. Sounds like it may have been in this case? 

Bad stewarding is bad stewarding whoever does it, but nightclub bouncers as stewards is worse from 2 angles.

Firstly, bouncers can be prone to use of excessive force, secondly it can very easily incite the crowd if handled badly. Nightclubs and football stadia are vastly different environments.

*Gets off soapbox*

JOB ADVERT:

Events & SIA Staff
Sheffield United Football Club - Sheffield S2
£7.84 - £9.40 an hour - Part-time

Job Description

Are you looking for a bit of extra money on a Saturday afternoon?

Are you an outgoing person who enjoys football and meeting people?

Then why not come and join our Security and Stewarding team here at PREMIER SECURITY AND EVENTS.

Based at Sheffield United for over 10 years, our Stewards are guaranteed every home game, cup game and any other events that may take place at the stadium.

RESPONSIBILITIES

• Monitor movements of crowds in and out of stadium
  • Be calm and rational in all situations
  • Contribute to the match day experience for fans, home and away
  • Pat down and bag searching

IDEAL CANDIDATE

• Good verbal communication skills
  • Smart and presentable
  • Five year checkable work/education history in line with BS7858
  • Good time keeping and flexibility
  • Must be eligible to work in the UK and have a National Insurance Number

Salary: £7.84 to £9.40 per hour

Job Type: Part-time

27 days ago

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

That is only part of it, it does not show the original contact from behind. It is far more effective to take the hand and bring it up behind the back and then move the person away. Also, it is dangerous:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/31/policed-football-fans-enemy-manchester-city-bournemouth-police-stewards

As @JulieH wil confirm, the Police do not specifically teach headlocks in training. Indeed, they are taught the dangers of restraining around the neck.

Excellent, I was just about to post the exact same article, to try to inject some sanity into some of the extreme views expressed on here.  This is from the horses mouth, and is logical and considered, unlike some of the posts on here.  Fans pour time and large amounts of money into the game...........and yet are treated like the enemy, the issue needs to be seriously looked at.

38 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

at 4:07 / 4:08 he even applies more force whilst dragging. Such an abrupt motion could break his neck. Yes: should not be on the pitch. Excessive force? Hell yes. A complaint should be made. That idiot should not be involved in stewarding. Most of the others were cleared without too much fuss.

I like how the steward is getting all the blame and not this so called fan?

27 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:
JOB ADVERT:

Events & SIA Staff
Sheffield United Football Club - Sheffield S2
£7.84 - £9.40 an hour - Part-time

Job Description

Are you looking for a bit of extra money on a Saturday afternoon?

Are you an outgoing person who enjoys football and meeting people?

Then why not come and join our Security and Stewarding team here at PREMIER SECURITY AND EVENTS.

Based at Sheffield United for over 10 years, our Stewards are guaranteed every home game, cup game and any other events that may take place at the stadium.

RESPONSIBILITIES

• Monitor movements of crowds in and out of stadium
  • Be calm and rational in all situations
  • Contribute to the match day experience for fans, home and away
  • Pat down and bag searching

IDEAL CANDIDATE

• Good verbal communication skills
  • Smart and presentable
  • Five year checkable work/education history in line with BS7858
  • Good time keeping and flexibility
  • Must be eligible to work in the UK and have a National Insurance Number

Salary: £7.84 to £9.40 per hour

27 days ago

As I thought...security as stewards, or elements of this at least.

Asking for problems IMO. Or at least can make it more likely they will occur.

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

There was little to no force in that headlock but from the angle it is performed and the way the guy is walking, it looks odd. 

Not really worthy of a three page thread.

I totally disagree, in fact it's an extremely important issue.  Please read the article by the retired senior police officer that appears on this thread, if you wish to know just how important?  The club badge thread managed to get 14 pages.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I totally disagree, in fact it's an extremely important issue.  Please read the article by the retired senior police officer that appears on this thread, if you wish to know just how important?  The club badge thread managed to get 14 pages.

Please read my follow up reply and I have no interest what a retired police officer thinks.

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

What’s all this he could have been killed rubbish? How many people are killed in headlocks a year? Why are there no charities supporting this? Disband save the children and start save the headlockee 

Evidently you have never heard of such things as carotid artery compression and choke holds. The two carotid arteries lie in the front of the neck on either side of the trachea (windpipe) and carry blood from the heart to the brain. They supply 90% or so of the brain’s blood, with the rest coming from the two small vertebral arteries that travel along the spine and over the back-most portion of the brain. The carotids are interconnected in the brain so that in a normal individual compressing a single carotid artery will have little effect. Compressing both can cause a loss of consciousness in 15 to 20 seconds and death in 2 to 4 minutes. There are many injuries that can arise from headlocks. That is why it is seen as a very last resort in restraining somebody where other options are exhausted. This clearly was not applicable in this instance.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

So, dragging someone to the ground in this way,in these circumstances justifies the possibility of serious life changing injury and believe it or not even death??

If a tragic outcome had resulted here you believe it would have been deserved?? .. 

..of course, the loony lad unlawfully runs onto sacred hallowed turf wearing inappropriate foot wear, how injurious to the green stuff is that?  As a clear and present danger he had to be grabbed and incapacitated asap by whatever means necessary disrespecting the grass like that, whatever next? … not just any old patch of grass either, a field occupied by twenty five super fit, fast, strong and capable adult males. That stupid little boy could have caused untold damage had he not been stopped.

Luckily the hallowed turf survived before a single blade of grass was harmed, thanks to the quick thinking tough guy in the high-vis, if the steward had continued and finished the job off by permanently eliminating the offender, who could have blamed him?  He would have been safeguarding hallowed grass everywhere from this dangerous out of control individual …. Death would have been too good for him..

The sooner encroachment of playing surfaces by unauthorised persons is made punishable by capital punishment the better, it has to be done for the benefit of the game... More power to the elbows of those in High Vis - protect the grass at all costs. Hopefully the affected area recovered quickly under intensive care from the groundsman and his team, thankfully a good sprinkling of water and the irrigation squad would have done the trick, -thank heavens.

The high vis hero who showed great self restraint in such difficult circumstances surely deserves a medal of some sort?  What a wonderful fella hope your family are suitably prowed of you, look kids what your big brave daddy did at work today...

The kid doesn't deserve everything he gets for one moment of madness, a good telling off would probably curtail any future over exuberance of the kind and he certainly didn't need to be grabbed around the neck! ….

Perhaps a return to allowing a little parental and in school physical discipline is what should be allowed again, teach the world a little bit of the respect before it's too late,  because that, respect, is what's  lacking everywhere nowadays, maybe a good old 'clip around the ear' from a neighbourhood copper wouldn't go amiss occasionally again too? 

BUT 'SAFETY STEWARDS' at sports venues should NEVER be permitted to use excessive force, and what we've witnessed here is CLEARLY EXCESSIVE from the 'tough guy in High Vis'.

If the kids mum or dad or a teacher dealing with unruly behaviour in the classroom man-handled a kid in such a way they would find themselves in court Monday morning, the family home would be teeming in social workers and the teacher would be jobless.  

Oh yeah, by the way, Mr Steward even if the had got away from you he wouldn't and couldn't have got far could he? with dozens of colleagues, police and officials on hand, loads of camera evidence(unlucky for you mate!) and hundreds of eye witnesses … was your actions worth it?  did you really protect valuable hallowed turf a very important area of a football pitch?  Did the kid think he would really put his 'neck on the line'' when he foolishly ran on to celebrate  a goal? Was he even thinking?

That is no way to generate respect for law and order. You Mr Steward were bang out of order, you did your fellow stewards and sport in this country no favours at all by behaving like that... Your mate did it the right way!             

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Please read my follow up reply and I have no interest what a retired police officer thinks.

Quite right too...........how refreshing. What could a Police Game Commander with over 20 years experience of controlling top flight football matches possibly have to contribute? He's probably a Bleedin Know All anyhow!

5 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Watched the whole thing now and yes there was excessive force considering he wasn’t a danger.

I don’t have any sympathy for the guys on the pitch though and hope they all get banned for life.....and the steward should be sacked.

Crumbs, my 3 boys are panicking now following promotion under Cotterill.

But you’re probably fair and right in your assessment.

7 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

That is only part of it, it does not show the original contact from behind. It is far more effective to take the hand and bring it up behind the back and then move the person away. Also, it is dangerous:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/31/policed-football-fans-enemy-manchester-city-bournemouth-police-stewards

As @JulieH wil confirm, the Police do not specifically teach headlocks in training. Indeed, they are taught the dangers of restraining around the neck.

You are correct we do not get taught headlocks as part of our restraint techniques. 

We have fed back on the day to Sheffield safety team regarding this incident as we had 2 football officers present. 

9 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I think we knew his intentions, a city fan is hardly going to run towards where his own team are celebrating and try and attack them after having joined in with the celebrations is he? 

Yes, he needed to be taken off. But being dragged by his neck off the pitch isn't the way to do it... 

Tbf having now seen it I change my mind a little, but I still think you’re asking for trouble by stepping on the pitch.

i do also see the point that stewards aren’t supposed to drag someone like that

6 hours ago, Super said:

I like how the steward is getting all the blame and not this so called fan?

Glad you like something that clearly is not happening!  Everyone, and I think I do mean EVERYONE has condemned the idiot going onto the pitch, but there is no escaping the fact that the way he restrained the knob was excessive and downright dangerous.  Neither of them came out of that situation covered in glory.

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Glad you like something that clearly is not happening!  Everyone, and I think I do mean EVERYONE has condemned the idiot going onto the pitch, but there is no escaping the fact that the way he restrained the knob was excessive and downright dangerous.  Neither of them came out of that situation covered in glory.

I dont think it was dangerous.

Yet again all winging about a fan being dragged of the pitch.but when it kicked off in our ground with swansea you all asking for bans.put their pictures in paper etc.and all happy that one of our fans was jailed!!!! What exactly do you want ??! So this fan/ fans running on pitch was ok.but do it at the gate and you all winging big time .make your minds up.

Archived