IGNORED

Steward Headlock

The Original OTIB

2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Strangely that day I didn’t go on the pitch, just watched from the back of the East End!

You were the 1% ? It was very emotional and something I will never forget, along with all the shops and houses along the Wells Road draped in flags. 

It was a 'happy' pitch invasion, as was the lads on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Not quite sure why your making this out to be something that it clearly wasn't, so next time your out and about and happen walk past someone, be sure to post it on OTIB and tell us all how this person 'could' of assaulted you, afterall you never know.

Why would I do that if person wasnt breaking the law whilst this person clearly was? 

Not quite sure why your making this out to be something that it clearly wasn't, so next time your out and about and happen walk past someone, be sure to post it on OTIB and tell us all how this person 'could' of assaulted you, afterall you never know.

Why would I do that if person wasnt breaking the law whilst this person clearly was? 

23 hours ago, JulieH said:

You are correct we do not get taught headlocks as part of our restraint techniques. 

We have fed back on the day to Sheffield safety team regarding this incident as we had 2 football officers present. 

How many Birmingham fans were ejected / arrested / banned the season they stayed up at our place when there were quite a few of them on the pitch at various times. Genuine question. Presume it was quite a few given they were doing excactly the same as the blokes here on Saturday? 

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

I've not disputed that the person on the pitch hadn't broken the law as he quite clearly did, you are the one strangely pointing out what else he could POSSIBLY do, really don't get what your trying to get at, the possibilities are endless, hell he could of even turned one out on the Penalty spot if he wished! Everyone it seems except you know exactly what his intentions were even though it was wrong.

8 hours ago, matalan12 said:

does no one see the difference in offence to running on celebrating a goal, and running on to assault a player. clearly the intentions are quite different, so does the punishment really need to be the same? little bit of common sense is all thats needed...

The offence is exactly the same though...

15 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I've not disputed that the person on the pitch hadn't broken the law as he quite clearly did, you are the one strangely pointing out what else he could POSSIBLY do, really don't get what your trying to get at, the possibilities are endless, hell he could of even turned one out on the Penalty spot if he wished! Everyone it seems except you know exactly what his intentions were even though it was wrong.

I’m just pointing out what reasoning the stewards/police have less than a month after two high profile incidents of players being assaulted by fans that invaded the pitch

On 30/03/2019 at 17:36, WessexPest said:

Indeed - end of debate.

NO.  Absolutely not.  Running on the pitch is obviously an offence, but it doesn't give some thug in a uniform, whichever unform that is, the justification for an assault.

End of debate..

On 31/03/2019 at 11:08, BCFC101 said:

I tried to show the whole thing but GIPHY limited me to a 6 second clip, the full thing is on here at 3:49 (not my video btw)

What about the way Paterson takes down Weimann in the celebrations of the winner? 4mins 43 in the video. Disgraceful

one thing I noticed here though, apart from how shit the camera man is at capturing our goals, is how far the steward comes from to take down the fan. There was already a few stewards on hand and he’s sprinted over from the corner

10 minutes ago, Big C said:

I’m just pointing out what reasoning the stewards/police have less than a month after two high profile incidents of players being assaulted by fans that invaded the pitch

It’s not their fault these idiots run onto the pitch and it’s nigh on impossible to stop them doing it, no one wants to see fences being brought back in, the only solution I can think of to try and stop it is clubs being forced to close of (where possible) the first 2/3 rows of seating, would have to be something better than the netting that is currently used.

48 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

It’s not their fault these idiots run onto the pitch and it’s nigh on impossible to stop them doing it, no one wants to see fences being brought back in, the only solution I can think of to try and stop it is clubs being forced to close of (where possible) the first 2/3 rows of seating, would have to be something better than the netting that is currently used.

The first couple of rows were netted on Saturday..

2 hours ago, lenred said:

How many Birmingham fans were ejected / arrested / banned the season they stayed up at our place when there were quite a few of them on the pitch at various times. Genuine question. Presume it was quite a few given they were doing excactly the same as the blokes here on Saturday? 

I can answer that question once I check the records, can I confirm it was season 2016-2017 ? Game ended in a win to Birmingham? 

Just want to make sure I have the correct game before I check figures 

16 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I can answer that question once I check the records, can I confirm it was season 2016-2017 ? Game ended in a win to Birmingham? 

Just want to make sure I have the correct game before I check figures 

That’s the one, where they won last day of the season to stay up. From memory there were encroachments on the pitch galore so I’m guessing I’m just interested as to if it’s a fair playing field.  If it’ll take valuable time up not to worry though - just thought you may recall. Cheers.    

Here's another angle too.

FSF Faircop is quite big on this view.

Not all pitch invaders are one and the same- the few on Saturday, a few who spilt over from Wolves last season, the aforementioned Birmingham ones in May 2017- exuberance spilling over when stands close to pitch.

@FSF_faircop perhaps even advocates stopping a minute, standing back and ushering, sending them back to the stands those who spill over in the moment- does @JulieH have a stance on this? I'll try and dig out some tweets later.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's another angle too.

FSF Faircop is quite big on this view.

Not all pitch invaders are one and the same- the few on Saturday, a few who spilt over from Wolves last season, the aforementioned Birmingham ones in May 2017- exuberance spilling over when stands close to pitch.

@FSF_faircop perhaps even advocates stopping a minute, standing back and ushering, sending them back to the stands those who spill over in the moment- does @JulieH have a stance on this? I'll try and dig out some tweets later.

My stance is as it stands the law is such that to encroach onto the playing surface is an offence and that is what I work to.

not everyone gets charged , and some are dealt with in such a way as to educate and not criminalise on first offence but nevertheless it is still an offence as the legislation currently stands. 

2 hours ago, lenred said:

That’s the one, where they won last day of the season to stay up. From memory there were encroachments on the pitch galore so I’m guessing I’m just interested as to if it’s a fair playing field.  If it’ll take valuable time up not to worry though - just thought you may recall. Cheers.    

Should only take a couple of minutes I wil look on the main football officers site tomorrow and get the figures. 

My memory of it is different to yours however so I will definitely check 

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The offence is exactly the same though...

Pitch encroachment vs an assault on a individual is not the same offence though.

The lad was guilty of the former, the steward was guilty of the latter.

It's all on the video.

The trigger point was when we scored, the motivation was joy, not willful intent to do harm.

14 minutes ago, JulieH said:

My stance is as it stands the law is such that to encroach onto the playing surface is an offence and that is what I work to.

not everyone gets charged , and some are dealt with in such a way as to educate and not criminalise on first offence but nevertheless it is still an offence as the legislation currently stands. 

But like most things there are mitigating circumstances, as you say. Not sure just how a 'joyus' pitch invasion of 100's of fans would be dealt with, in truth it would not be feasible  to charge en mass, somethings should be left to common sense.

However the issue remains that the way the steward reacted really usurps any such action the lad did. 

This should be the focus, but somehow I reckon it won't be. 

What disturbs me is that some on here despite the evidence before them still believe  the lad was the real problem in the aftermath, I thought I was pretty hard line but this really tests reasoning in some, of our own fans, how ironic that Sheffield the city that witnessed many innocent deaths at a Football match we still are quick to condemn the innocent and not hold those that are charged with public safety to accountability at the time.

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

Agree with most of that- also yeah got to apply, adhere to the law as it stands. That is to say offence but education etc also possible.

Still maintain the two are pretty different though- ie a few spilling over to celebrate quite a bit less dangerous than the Grealish or Smalling incidents e.g.

10 hours ago, JulieH said:

Should only take a couple of minutes I wil look on the main football officers site tomorrow and get the figures. 

My memory of it is different to yours however so I will definitely check 

I have checked the report from the game and can quote the following:

‘just prior to final whistle police and stewards stood in front of away supporters in an attempt to prevent a pitch incursion. A blue smoke grenade was lit on final whistle and a crowd surge towards the front of the stand occurred as the Birmingham players came over. This led to the led boards partially collapsing which led to several supporters entering the pitch but a mass invasion was prevented . ‘

There were 2 ejections on the day and no arrests. 

19 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Pitch encroachment vs an assault on a individual is not the same offence though.

The lad was guilty of the former, the steward was guilty of the latter.

It's all on the video.

The trigger point was when we scored, the motivation was joy, not willful intent to do harm.

The post I was quoting was comparing two reasons for running onto the pitch, both of which are the same offence regardless of the “motivation”.

the lad wouldn’t have been assaulted if he hadn’t ran onto the pitch, not excusing it (as I said above my opinions on the stewards action have changed a little since watching the footage) but facts are facts. No encroachment, no assault

19 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

But like most things there are mitigating circumstances, as you say. Not sure just how a 'joyus' pitch invasion of 100's of fans would be dealt with, in truth it would not be feasible  to charge en mass, somethings should be left to common sense.

However the issue remains that the way the steward reacted really usurps any such action the lad did. 

This should be the focus, but somehow I reckon it won't be. 

What disturbs me is that some on here despite the evidence before them still believe  the lad was the real problem in the aftermath, I thought I was pretty hard line but this really tests reasoning in some, of our own fans, how ironic that Sheffield the city that witnessed many innocent deaths at a Football match we still are quick to condemn the innocent and not hold those that are charged with public safety to accountability at the time.

How is the lad not the real problem? He along with a few other idiots caused the whole situation.

As for “using common sense” sorry you appear to be excusing him being on the pitch because it was a “joyous” moment. You excuse one and you’ll suddenly have hundreds of people doing it, any fan on the pitch during a game should have an example made of them.

pitch invasions after big wins are still unnecessary in my opinion, but seem to be some kind of “tradition” amongst fans

Archived