IGNORED

Season Reignited?

Robin101

A long 18 day break... it almost felt like the season had ended. Waking up this morning I'll admit I wasn't overly enthused by the thought of City at Brammal Lane, but winning in the greatest of fashions (behind twice; hat-trick hero; sell-out home crowd) has renewed my interest to say the least! Previously it felt as if we were happily continuing on with a familiar late-season slide down the league, with ten opportunities to be let down laying out in front of us. But now it feels like our dodgy patch is a distant memory, at least for now...

Is our striker finding form at the most crucial of times? Will we challenge right to the end? Are we going to attack teams throughout? Nine games to write our season's end! I can't be the only one already counting down the minutes to Middlesbrough.

Completely agree. I expected us to lose today and get a point at best at Boro and for the season to fizzle out.

But not only the result today but the performance suggests we could be in for a very exciting season's finale. 

Middlesbrough are beatable for sure, they've lost four on the trot and our away record is absolutely fantastic. 

It's still going to be very tough to make the top 6 - realistically we are playing for 5th and 6th - but today's result gives us a shout for sure. 

The test will be maintaining sharpness going Sat-Tues, Sat-Tues for the rest of the season pretty much.

For those that were there what were the good and bad things about going 352 (532) today.  The radio commentary seemed to mention the following a lot:

- Hunt getting forward and passing / crossing well

- Dasilva advanced (they said he had a heavy touch, once.  I don’t believe them!)

- Wright a bit exposed (I might prefer Kelly at LCB, and Kalas RCB)

- Brownhill driving forward in space

- Smith lots of neat touches / passes

- Pack Several underhit passes almost putting us in the shit

- Weimann - the best striker performance Owers has seen in years (he was glowing before any goals too)

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The test will be maintaining sharpness going Sat-Tues, Sat-Tues for the rest of the season pretty much.

For those that were there what were the good and bad things about going 352 (532) today.  The radio commentary seemed to mention the following a lot:

- Dasilva advanced (they said he had a heavy touch, once.  I don’t believe them!)

- Weimann - the best striker performance Owers has seen in years (he was glowing before any goals too)

Agree about a back three of Kalas, Webster and Kelly. That role would seem to suit Kelly perfectly. 

Regarding Brownhill, I like the idea that he can act as the attacking midfielder with the protection offered by Smith and Pack. Brownhill in the final third can be a real threat and he is one of our best shooters from outside the box. 

I’m starting to think that 3-5-2 might be the way forward. It prevents us from being overrun in midfield and allows for two up front. 

Let’s hope that City can take advantage of Boro’s poor form - lost the last four I think and they got booed off today so their confidence will be low. An early City goal would be a prefect start.

They pressed Norwich well at times but that left  gaps when they didn’t win the ball and that won’t be lost on LJ.Im sure he’ll have a game plan.

Nows the time to on another run of wins...........:fingerscrossed:

1 minute ago, Offside said:

Agree about a back three of Kalas, Webster and Kelly. That role would seem to suit Kelly perfectly. 

Regarding Brownhill, I like the idea that he can act as the attacking midfielder with the protection offered by Smith and Pack. Brownhill in the final third can be a real threat and he is one of our best shooters from outside the box. 

I’m starting to think that 3-5-2 might be the way forward. It prevents us from being overrun in midfield and allows for two up front. 

I posted in the week that I think our squad is pretty well set for it....if O’Dowda goes, no need to replace him, unless we see him on the left side of a midfield 3 (like a Hourihane with legs).

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dasilva was real class going forward. Crossing still suspect. Korey off the pace but flashes of his energy and quick passing. Brownhill e everywhere and a close 2nd to Weimann for MoM. Pack composed. Essentially LJ got it spot on and we look composed part from the 2 times they got behind us on the far post. 3 5 2 then 4 3 3 then 352 worked well. Palmer changed the game when he came on. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I suspect 2 games in 4 days will probably be too much for Korey at this stage.

This is where he should’ve kept Morrell (and Walsh) in the squad and given him a few more minutes here and there.  O’Dowda’s injury is probably poor timing because he could play in the three to provide rotation.  He might be back Tuesday, more likely Saturday.

edit: of course Pato and Palmer haven’t done themselves any harm with their cameos today.

Archived