IGNORED

Fammy

Olé

Just watched the highlights again and as I remembered it, his physicality and hold up was absolutely vital to all three goals.

Now I've defended him more than most, but even I thought he was well off the boil against Leeds and Ipswich, as if his touch and self-belief had deserted him. And when he's not playing well, because of the odd role he fulfills, it feels like some fans are never far off turning on him.

So I hope those that don't rate his use of size or his contribution to the team took notice of the improvement and impact yesterday. I'm sure we're always working on how he shields the ball and brings others in, not his natural game as a striker in France, but it is having an effect.

An on-form Fam leading the line was a massive part of our long winning run and many of the smash and grab wins on the road, often feeding off scraps. He is a long way off being our best player but you could certainly make a case that he will be our most pivotal one for the run in.

One other observation (okay, starry eyed praise) - in many ways he is not the archetypal striker many expect a player of his appearance to be. He is not nasty, he is not ruthless, he is not selfish. But when you see how much he celebrates OTHERS scoring, his role all makes sense.

It's consistency that you want. If he played like yesterday on a regular basis we would be pushing top 2.

He's a likeable player, and we all want him to do well...however...his poor games this season have been too many.

Imagine our goals scored rate if he had played regularly like yesterday....bringing in other players.

Maybe next season he will be the real deal...fingers crossed.

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's consistency that you want. If he played like yesterday on a regular basis we would be pushing top 2.

He's a likeable player, and we all want him to do well...however...his poor games this season have been too many.

Imagine our goals scored rate if he had played regularly like yesterday....bringing in other players.

Maybe next season he will be the real deal...fingers crossed.

Don’t think he will get too much game time next season in the PL ?

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

What really gets my goat is the fouls he just doesn’t get . 

I think refs see his frame and assume it’s him doing the roughhousing.

It has to be said that his attitude is 100% spot on . Top bloke . 

That is fair comment Major - I would like him to actually ‘ put himself about’ a bit more but he is just not that type of character.

Maybe if he had played in the EFLat a younger age that may have been different.

51 minutes ago, Olé said:

Just watched the highlights again and as I remembered it, his physicality and hold up was absolutely vital to all three goals.

Now I've defended him more than most, but even I thought he was well off the boil against Leeds and Ipswich, as if his touch and self-belief had deserted him. And when he's not playing well, because of the odd role he fulfills, it feels like some fans are never far off turning on him.

So I hope those that don't rate his use of size or his contribution to the team took notice of the improvement and impact yesterday. I'm sure we're always working on how he shields the ball and brings others in, not his natural game as a striker in France, but it is having an effect.

An on-form Fam leading the line was a massive part of our long winning run and many of the smash and grab wins on the road, often feeding off scraps. He is a long way off being our best player but you could certainly make a case that he will be our most pivotal one for the run in.

One other observation (okay, starry eyed praise) - in many ways he is not the archetypal striker many expect a player of his appearance to be. He is not nasty, he is not ruthless, he is not selfish. But when you see how much he celebrates OTHERS scoring, his role all makes sense.

He's a good lad,cracking bloke...but he won't get you promoted..

18 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

He's a good lad,cracking bloke...but he won't get you promoted..

I agree. His first touch is shit. He likes to have a go at a bicycle kick but not launch himself at a cross that’s crying out for it.

But then yesterday with AW with him it seems to have paid dividends.

I’ve been quick to criticise him but perhaps he’s not been supported well enough. Perhaps, just perhaps he ain’t good enough (yet or at all) to play without someone truly alongside him.

Top 6 and promoted through the play offs. This year.

Make a big difference having someone along side him. Having Weimann running off/supporting him makes his life a lot easier.
Previously he'd have to try and hold the ball until the MF slowly gets to him, yesterday he had the chance to flick the ball on , or lay the ball off. Makes a difference to how he's marked too, more to come in the run in I hope.

Great post

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Post of the week. More love for Fam from all til the end of the season plz, and I'm totally in.

All sing..  Fam aaaaara wooah Was great yesterday, the unsung hero

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve had a pop at him plenty of times . His hold up play, first touch and general reading of the game is very poor at times. 

Yesterday though I thought he was superb , his all round game was excellent 

Me too.....I’ve been very critical of him, and not without reason, he has been appalling at times....but he held the ball up very well yesterday and made a difference....first time in a long time - really hope he can keep it up and improve from here....

Fam's talent is unfortunately quite limited, but of late he his movement has improved somewhat and he is helping out in defence for set pieces too.

It does annoy me when he doesn't chase a long ball he could possibly get to and his timing is poor as well often jumping much to late when a high ball comes his way.  He rarely wins anything in the box and it seems strange that he can win more high balls when he comes back to defend.

Probably only a L1 striker for me.

Olé, you are spot with everything you say.

His hold up play and control does let him down a bit but he always work hard and is never going to be a lone striker, to get the best out of him he needs others to play along side of him, that's when he finds the space to do the damage and create things for himself and others.

He has been asked to play a role all season for which he is not suited, please can all the negative remarks stop.

The fact that players sometimes perform badly is not always their fault, sometimes it is because of the role they are being asked to play for the benefit of the team and this is the case with Fammy. 

I hope he gets a bit more support from now on so he can show us what his real game is like.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I wouldn’t say he was off the boil persay more isolated and lacked support

Top post, Ole but not sure if Wendy has seen his away performances this season!   L.1-really?

She should watch some current L.1stuff or Scottish top teams to appreciate just how good Fam is. When he has a teammate close by, rather than wide as Weimann has played quite often this season, he is a very good link man. 

Can't help thinking those two and Bobby up front would have transformed our home results and I suppose Lj thought maybe Pato or CoD or now, Palmer, could play that Bobby role. 

To be sure, Fam has been variable this season but yesterday he was superb in all aspects of his game. He has had several MoM games away from home this season

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Make a big difference having someone along side him. Having Weimann running off/supporting him makes his life a lot easier.
Previously he'd have to try and hold the ball until the MF slowly gets to him, yesterday he had the chance to flick the ball on , or lay the ball off. Makes a difference to how he's marked too, more to come in the run in I hope.

1 hour ago, rogerf said:

His hold up play and control does let him down a bit but he always work hard and is never going to be a lone striker, to get the best out of him he needs others to play along side of him, that's when he finds the space to do the damage and create things for himself and others.

He has been asked to play a role all season for which he is not suited, please can all the negative remarks stop.

The fact that players sometimes perform badly is not always their fault, sometimes it is because of the role they are being asked to play for the benefit of the team and this is the case with Fammy. 

I hope he gets a bit more support from now on so he can show us what his real game is like.

Both, spot on.

Pre-season, some of us thought this had the makings of being a partnership in the Benteke / Weimann mould that worked well for 18 months at Villa.

Fam’s suspension, whilst Weimann went 5 from 5 in the league, had us eagerly awaiting them coming together.  For whatever reason it didn’t quite pan out and Fam ended up on his own with Andi stuck out side, and his goals dried up.

Yesterday, may be a case of “one swallow doesn’t make a summer”, but it’s whetted the appetite again that there could be a partnership already there.

3 hours ago, rogerf said:

your not related are you, joking aside he has been truly terrible in some games and criticism has been justified, but when he's good he's vv good, and as they say when he's bad he's horrid. 

13 hours ago, Olé said:

Pointed this out in the "highlights up" thread on Saturday, he was involved in all 3 goals, Weimann even made the point that he knew he could rely on Fammy to hold off the defender on the third goal one -two, shows the players appreciate his strengths too.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Both, spot on.

Pre-season, some of us thought this had the makings of being a partnership in the Benteke / Weimann mould that worked well for 18 months at Villa.

Fam’s suspension, whilst Weimann went 5 from 5 in the league, had us eagerly awaiting them coming together.  For whatever reason it didn’t quite pan out and Fam ended up on his own with Andi stuck out side, and his goals dried up.

Yesterday, may be a case of “one swallow doesn’t make a summer”, but it’s whetted the appetite again that there could be a partnership already there.

One swallow makes a damn good night out.

16 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I agree. His first touch is shit. He likes to have a go at a bicycle kick but not launch himself at a cross that’s crying out for it.

But then yesterday with AW with him it seems to have paid dividends.

I’ve been quick to criticise him but perhaps he’s not been supported well enough. Perhaps, just perhaps he ain’t good enough (yet or at all) to play without someone truly alongside him.

Top 6 and promoted through the play offs. This year.

Just a question why has it taken johnson so long to realise he needed help upfront?

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Just watched the highlights. Was Fammy tripped up by an off the ball foul, a split second before the ball reached Sharp to head in the first goal of the game?

Any slow motion or frame by frame experts who could clarify?

He pushed him clean in the back cheating scummer he is.......

Ask any centre half he has played against and they will probably tell you about the 90 mins he gave them.

He must be a defenders nightmare, he is a big unpredictable unit.  His first touch makes him that, which in turn makes him hard to handle as he is so unorthodox.

He makes every single defender he has played against honest.  Because despite his at times poor first touch, he has a good finish.

You cant give him a yard because he will be on you, in your face and his battle level will be a constant threat throughout the game.

Perhaps his price tag goes against him as perhaps we expected more.  But what if he cost 1m or 2m....good player at that value?

He is improving and that's there for all to see.  So fair play to the bloke.  Much more to come from Fam.

Stevo

A forward who is Isolated and lonely upfront can not do so mutch. His back on the goal, two defenders climbing at you. If you are Famara or Zlatan doesnt matter. Vs SU Famara had own players around him who was moving, then its mutch easier for him. Think Famara have been good and he is our fw who fights for top six in the table. Sometimes his touch can be wrong but still think he is a good player.

Archived