IGNORED

3-5-2 worked, but I think LJ may switch back to 1 up top tomorrow

The Exiled Robin

Good read. 

I really hope LJ sticks to the 3-5-2 but I can't see him trusting walsh or Morrell to do the same role korey did on Saturday, nor can I see korey being able to play two games in such quick succession after 8 months out. 

So I can also see him reversing back to the 4-1-4-1 formation again... 

I think LJ only likes 352 as a tactical variation when he needs to match up formations. I don't think he trusts it as a default. We'll presumably want to keep things tight early on v Boro and build the pressure on them so I reckon we'll be 451 for the first half.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Boro play 3 at the back and seem to do worse against teams that do the same so expect us to have same formation as Saturday 

I withdraw my earlier comment and agree with you then!

Yea agree we should match but someone like Pato or Palmer will need to play as I am not willing to risk Korey for the rest of the season and half of next season just for a strong 60 min. I probably would not even tempt playing him and wouldn’t even have him on bench. 

Maybe play Baker instead of Wright for the height but again that is a maybe. Stick with wingbacks, strikers and Pack/Brownhill plus Max. Would only make a couple changes. 

1 hour ago, Angmering Red said:

I didnt see much of the 'Boro game on SKY on Saturday, but it looked like during the bit I did see they were playing 3CB's, so maybe we might well match them, particularly as it worked so well on Saturday.

Except that we were 2-1 down playing three at the back. It was only when Wright went off and Pato and Palmer (for Smith) came on that we dominated going forward, and scored twice.

I like the 3-5-2 with this squad and think we’ll give it another go tomorrow night to match boro.

I’m not too sure that we’ll use it for all the games left though purely due to the wing back situation. We only have one natural LWB (Dasilva) and one natural RWB (Hunt) and with it being the most physically demanding role in football I don’t think we’ll be able to keep it up especially because we’re playing Saturday - Tuesday for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Except that we were 2-1 down playing three at the back. It was only when Wright went off and Pato and Palmer (for Smith) came on that we dominated going forward, and scored twice.

Ok, I stand corrected,?? I wasnt at the game, however it seemed to me listening to Gary Owers comments that we were the better side until a period just before they scored (appreciate that is not the same as being at the game!!) then LJ made the changes and we went for it and got the win.

2 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

I didnt see much of the 'Boro game on SKY on Saturday, but it looked like during the bit I did see they were playing 3CB's, so maybe we might well match them, particularly as it worked so well on Saturday.

I agree, I believe our wing backs are more attack minded and can push them back and with Weimann we have the idea forward to dart inbetween there 3 CBs

If we can keep a clean sheet then I fancy us to Nick it and get 3 points

Hopefully Weimann plays up top with Fam as his movement could cause Boro’s big back 3 problems. I think Fam on his own would be meat and drink for Flint and co. If Korey isn’t ready to play again, I would play Walsh if he is fit 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I might be tempted to play him for 55 minutes on adrenaline alone tomorrow night. Then unleash Palmer or Paterson. 

Very tempted to swap Wright for Kelly, and shift the other two across. 

But I do think we will go 352 (3421).

I'd like to see Kelly start but Wright is our only natural leader so can't see him being rested. 

Would like to see walsh come in to add some attacking threat to be honest

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

We barely dominate teams for the whole 90mins, apart from the first 6mins on Saturday we were the much better side, bar a couple of 5mins spells here and there from Sheff Utd.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to Sound of the City, bit of preview from BBC Middlesbrough or whatever it's called journo.

As I thought likely, first goal very important tomorrow. Middlesbrough don't react well to conceding first- their games seem very dependent on this, for better and worse.

A Tiny Penis side shutting up shop after going 1-0 up?? Your having me on mate, I always thought his sides play lovely attacking football.

I think it’s interesting that in all the excitement that people almost seemed to miss Bakers reappearance. People seem to keen to right players off or suggest conspiracy theories when players don’t make the squad, but LJ does seem to like using horses for courses.

14 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

A Tiny Penis side shutting up shop after going 1-0 up?? Your having me on mate, I always thought his sides play lovely attacking football.

Indeed, wise guy.

My main point being, should we go a bit more cautiously than Saturday from the off- perhaps even try to draw them on a bit to maybe nick the first goal?

Or maybe go at it from the off and then look to counter and control if we score first, especially fairly early- all about risk and reward.

50 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'd like to see Kelly start but Wright is our only natural leader so can't see him being rested. 

Would like to see walsh come in to add some attacking threat to be honest

Nor me, just tempted....possibly Saturday the better time.

Good read @The Exiled Robin, my fear is that LJ will fall into an old trap of over thinking it. I think it makes sense to keep the same shape, but I do think he might swap back, hope I'm wrong. 
If he feels no effect , a fit Korey might swing it for the "new" formation . Another reason I'd like to see us stick to this shape, both Morrell and Walsh could step in and add an attacking eye the the MF3. You could even push Josh to RWB and Palmer into CMF for the Wigan game.  The set up from Saturday , IMO, answers questions of our MF and attack , while still being solid. Fingers crossed he sticks with it. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed, wise guy.

My main point being, should we go a bit more cautiously than Saturday from the off- perhaps even try to draw them on a bit to maybe nick the first goal?

Or maybe go at it from the off and then look to counter and control if we score first, especially fairly early- all about risk and reward.

If it were down to me I’d stick with Saturdays line up and tactics if indeed Boro do play with 3 at the back, but I think that will all depend on how Korey is feeling/recovered, even if he could only give us 60mins I’d go with it. Also Boro’s CB’s don’t like coming up against abit of pace especially Flint as we all know (his only flaw imo) so if we did go with the 2 upfront I’d stick with Fammy and Wiemann, FD will more than likely be used to take two of them away and will no doubt take a bit of a battering but think this will leave the space for Wiemann and Brownhill to hopefully do the damage, who IMO thought looked back to his normal self again on saturday due to Smith being back and letting him get forward, but it’s not down to me, so don’t be suprised if there’s a kiwi in goal, Weimann back on the wing and Pisano back from oblivion at RB ?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it’s interesting that in all the excitement that people almost seemed to miss Bakers reappearance. People seem to keen to right players off or suggest conspiracy theories when players don’t make the squad, but LJ does seem to like using horses for courses.

Don’t think I’ve seen many writing Baker off, injuries haven’t been too kind to him this season. A fit Nathan Baker would be fighting with Kelly for a LCB starting position in a back 3 if it was my choice. Hopefully he’ll have a decent rest over the and gets a good pre season under his belt and he’ll be ready to go, or he’ll be off and none of that will matter!

49 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

If it were down to me I’d stick with Saturdays line up and tactics if indeed Boro do play with 3 at the back, but I think that will all depend on how Korey is feeling/recovered, even if he could only give us 60mins I’d go with it. Also Boro’s CB’s don’t like coming up against abit of pace especially Flint as we all know (his only flaw imo) so if we did go with the 2 upfront I’d stick with Fammy and Wiemann, FD will more than likely be used to take two of them away and will no doubt take a bit of a battering but think this will leave the space for Wiemann and Brownhill to hopefully do the damage, who IMO thought looked back to his normal self again on saturday due to Smith being back and letting him get forward, but it’s not down to me, so don’t be suprised if there’s a kiwi in goal, Weimann back on the wing and Pisano back from oblivion at RB ?

I'd go with that too I think.

Confidence, good balance- again up against a back 3. Question marks about Smith's fitness notwithstanding, why change a winning formula..let's hope LJ just sticks with and makes the relevant in-game changes if required.

Archived