IGNORED

The run in (Merged)

BessexRED

Always interesting to keep an eye on once we get to this stage of the year, so conjured this up...

106 - Highest Champions Points Total

93 - Average Needed for Champions Highest 2nd Place Points Total
89 - Highest 3rd Place Points Total
87 - Average Needed For 2nd
81 - Lowest Champions Points Total
79 - Lowest 2nd Place Total
78 - Highest 7th Place Points Total
74 - Average Needed for Play-Offs
68 - Lowest Play-off Position Total
62 - Average Needed for Top Half
57.....Norwich, Leeds
54 - Highest Points Still Relegated.....Sheffield United
50.....West Brom, Middlesbrough
49 - Average Needed for Survival
47.....Bristol City, Derby
43 - Lowest Points Total Survived.....Birmingham, Villa, Hull, Blackburn
42.....Forest
41.....Swansea
39.....QPR
38.....Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday
37.....Brentford, Preston
32.....Wigan
30.....Millwall
26.....Rotherham
25.....Reading
23.....Bolton
18.....Ipswich

Key —

Blue - Champions
Green - 2nd Place
Purple - Playoffs
Orange - Top Half
Red - Relegation

Pin and keep updated please!

Have you used the amount of points achieved or the amount that would get you that spot?

For example, if the average number of points that 7th place gets is 68 then you actually only need 69 to secure a playoff spot. This is true regardless of whether the actual average for a playoff spot is 74.

56 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pin and keep updated please!

Have you used the amount of points achieved or the amount that would get you that spot?

For example, if the average number of points that 7th place gets is 68 then you actually only need 69 to secure a playoff spot. This is true regardless of whether the actual average for a playoff spot is 74.

Happy to keep updating it weekly mate and yeah, can figure that out as well.

4 hours ago, clunes said:

That points total of 54 and still getting relegated just shows why the Championship is such a competitive league. The equivalent of 18 wins and still not being good enough to survive...

Looking at the size, standard and state of teams at the bottom thus season, doubt I'll be anything like that this year.

A very competitive League though for sure.

6 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Happy to keep updating it weekly mate and yeah, can figure that out as well.

If you want to make it really interesting... it would be great to know what those achieved targets were at, at the same games played/points won at each stage of the season were. 

For instance.. after 30 games, what were those that achieved play offs on & what were those that finished 2nd on..?

Were they ahead or behind where teams are now..? 

Probably far too complex to work out and calculate, but would be very interesting. 

9 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

@BessexRED

How many years did you look back mate?

Sorry should’ve clarified, I’ll add it to the OP. Went from 05/06 to 17/18 for seasons and totals. @phantom @TomF @RedM could I have permissions to edit the OP whenever please? The option seems to have disappeared.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If you want to make it really interesting... it would be great to know what those achieved targets were at, at the same games played/points won at each stage of the season were. 

For instance.. after 30 games, what were those that achieved play offs on & what were those that finished 2nd on..?

Were they ahead or behind where teams are now..? 

Probably far too complex to work out and calculate, but would be very interesting. 

There’s a website that you can have a look at standings at a certain stage, I’ll have a look later on.

3 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

Leeds and Norwich are both heading for around 87 / 88 points at the moment. I reckon 2nd will require at least 87 points but the champions will get 90 or less.

Leeds have lost 4 of their last 6 games.

Could be a blip or maybe, hopdfully,  the start of a slide down.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

54 points and still get relegated must hurt....ouch

Peterborough in 2012-13 achieved that, when we were relegated too on a lot less. That's despite 13 goals each from Dwight Gayle and some bloke called Lee Tomlin. I wonder what happened to those 2 players?!!!

• Admin
2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Sorry should’ve clarified, I’ll add it to the OP. Went from 05/06 to 17/18 for seasons and totals. @phantom @TomF @RedM could I have permissions to edit the OP whenever please? The option seems to have disappeared.

Hi @BessexRED hate to say there isn't a facility that is available to no admin / moderators

5 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

Leeds and Norwich are both heading for around 87 / 88 points at the moment. I reckon 2nd will require at least 87 points but the champions will get 90 or less.

That’s a relatively low target, isn’t it..? 

I suppose it’s swings & roundabouts though, in so much as the lower the points won by the champions, the more there are to be shared out amongst the other teams, whereas Wolves getting 100 points would have meant less available to other teams last season. 

98 is the maximum possible total we could finish on (17 more wins)

Who we drop points too is almost as important as how many we actually drop. Likewise, who other teams drop points too.

Losing a “6 pointer” is far more damaging than losing a game to a team in the bottom half, as the season gets to the business end.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Who we drop points too is almost as important as how many we actually drop. Likewise, who other teams drop points too.

Losing a “6 pointer” is far more damaging than losing a game to a team in the bottom half, as the season gets to the business end.

Totally agree...but somehow those 3 home games versus Ipswich (follows Leeds home), Wigan (follows Sheffield Utd away), and Reading (follows Aston Villa away) could be vitally important if not for momentum / regained momentum alone.

77AB86BD-BCE4-4479-8887-B3DBA213C0C9.thumb.jpeg.339cd00cbbb515af29dce75508c48474.jpeg

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

A fantastic record away to midtable, pushing for play off, teams. Be afraid Villa and Wednesday

Away to those types of sides, it suits us quite well.

Would though they are top 6, add Middlesbrough to that too because of their style of play. We can capitalise on their mistakes somewhat more as we are the away side, some of these sides are quite naturally counterattacking yet with an expectation to attack at home- had a good feeling about the games at Birmingham, Stoke, Nottingham Forest and I guess Blackburn for that reason.

Still one game at a time though.

Edit- Would also add Preston to my list as they're only 10 points off and in good form again- seem to be playing a bit more football which will open up good chances for us on the break and perhaps the best chance yet to end our dreadful record against them!

Updated table:

106 - Highest Champions Points Total

93 - Average Needed for Champions Highest 2nd Place Points Total
89 - Highest 3rd Place Points Total
87 - Average Needed For 2nd
81 - Lowest Champions Points Total
79 - Lowest 2nd Place Total
78 - Highest 7th Place Points Total
74 - Average Needed for Play-Offs
68 - Lowest Play-off Position Total
62 - Average Needed for Top Half
60......Norwich
58.....Leeds
55.....Sheffield United
54 - Highest Points Still Relegated
53.....West Brom
51.....Middlesbrough
50.....Bristol City, Derby
49 - Average Needed for Survival
46.....Birmingham
45.....Forest
44.....Villa, Swansea
43 - Lowest Points Total Survived.....Hull, Blackburn
40.....Preston
39.....QPR, Sheffield Wednesday
38.....Stoke
37.....Brentford
33.....Wigan
30.....Millwall
27.....Rotherham
26.....Reading
23.....Bolton
18.....Ipswich

Key:
Blue - Champions
Green - 2nd Place
Purple - Playoffs
Orange - Top Half
Red - Relegation

I would be quite surprised if Reading or Rotherham reach the  lowest points survived total to be honest, It would require an improvement in form that would be far above anything else they have achieved this season. it could be a record breaking season at both ends of the table.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would be quite surprised if Reading or Rotherham reach the  lowest points survived total to be honest, It would require an improvement in form that would be far above anything else they have achieved this season. it could be a record breaking season at both ends of the table.

I think though the Championship usually - more than most - gets topsy turvy in the end where with 10 games to go the bottom teams seem to go on unspeakable runs. 

Archived