IGNORED

Away Form

Sparkz 76

I can’t remember any season where our away form has been so good not sure about our promotion season from LG 1 but definitely championship best I can remember. It shows how confident on the road we are which is a big testament to the team if only our home form was as good as our away form god knows where would we be now.

any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

I can’t remember any season where our away form has been so good not sure about our promotion season from LG 1 but definitely championship best I can remember. It shows how confident on the road we are which is a big testament to the team if only our home form was as good as our away form god knows where would we be now.

any thoughts?

Play in purple at home it's that simple.

Our or LJ’s only flaw at the moment is trying to play this way at home, and recently it’s not been working, IF we can manage to turn this home form around we could well be ‘that’ team who’s in form going into the play offs...... :pray:

4 hours ago, mozo said:

It just baffles me. It's completely atypical and I can only assume it's because we're better on the break.

All our stats show we are a team that thrives on the break away system. It’s no real shock. 

Our turn around in away form/results had been incedible. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Our or LJ’s only flaw at the moment is trying to play this way at home, and recently it’s not been working, IF we can manage to turn this home form around we could well be ‘that’ team who’s in form going into the play offs...... :pray:

You can’t always play this way at home, if teams aren’t coming at you! 

5 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

It's Johnson's "Achilles heel".

Either he doesn't know how to coach us to break down a massed defence by away side's, or he doesn't have the players suitable to unlock them at home.

I suspect that we'll not be in the Prem next season, so if he and his coaching team, can find the solution before August, it could mean that we will be leading the chasers all next season.

58 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

The total number of fans that have sulked home after watching their team lose at home to the City this season! Obviously you'd need to remove away support from that total, but it gives you some idea of the number of weekends we've ruined! :D

And a few ruined weekends/weekdays from Ashton Gate for our own fans after performances of dross against Sheffield Wednesday, Preston, Birmingham, Leeds & Ipswich. If we do miss out on the playoffs then it's those games that will come back to haunt us. 

Also it's a bit of a shame that most supporters have missed many of our best performances this season as they have been away from home. Considering the away games coming up though I hope the away form lasts until the end of the season and beyond!

2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Screenshot_20190403-000342~2.png

Considering how we struggled at home against 4 of the bottom 5 in that list, and 2 of our remaining home games are against the teams above and below that 4, I am taking nothing for granted for those matches.

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Considering how we struggled at home against 4 of the bottom 5 in that list, and 2 of our remaining home games are against the teams above and below that 4, I am taking nothing for granted for those matches.

I think that can go down to exception both from the fans and players, both guilty of thinking we have to turn up thats it, away from home we are nearly always up against it, which puts less pressure on the team,

As the team gets older that will go, 

I wonder whether us fans have a part to play too. I have always found fans to be more positive - they appear to stay behind the team for longer and are more patient - when we are away. I have heard our fans continue to sing and chant when we are losing away from home; less so when we are at home - sometimes you ever hear boos! It may be down to fans higher expectations at home. Just a thought, although I think it will help in the run-in if we stay positive in our home matches even if, say. we are losing at half time. Pressure and negativity from the crowd will not help us.

Plus we should play two up front of course! 

31 minutes ago, eardun said:

I wonder whether us fans have a part to play too. I have always found fans to be more positive - they appear to stay behind the team for longer and are more patient - when we are away. I have heard our fans continue to sing and chant when we are losing away from home; less so when we are at home - sometimes you ever hear boos! It may be down to fans higher expectations at home. Just a thought, although I think it will help in the run-in if we stay positive in our home matches even if, say. we are losing at half time. Pressure and negativity from the crowd will not help us.

I also think "we" as fans have some blame to shoulder for home performances..... often it feels like a lot of our home crowd sit back, fold their arms and say "entertain us" then moan and target certain players or LJ if we are not 3 up in 20mins .... I for one, am certainly enjoying away days more than the home games at the moment...

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Margins are much smaller the higher up the league you go . In the lower leagues we could often brush teams aside and dominate a game.

We as fans need to appreciate that we don’t have the right to beat anyone and need to win the mental battle which is as important or more so than the physical.

We need to be confident in our team and sing them home when we’re under the cosh.

I’m sure our nerves are transmitted to the players.

We have a team to be proud of , whatever happens between now and the end of the season they have all been magnificent and deserve our support.

15 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

any thoughts?

Was saying exactly the same in the pub last night after the game. In 25 years watching City it's definitely my best ever season for away performances, considering the sorts of places we have picked up big results this season, how frequently we have done so, and the standard/value of opposition.

I said last night that it wasn't long ago that scraping a 4-4 draw at Notts County or nicking a 5-4 win at Mansfield was the rarity that constituted an amazing, go-home happy away day. The change in standards is lightyears apart. And winning over half your away games is unthinkable in any division.

Johnson has done some remarkable things away from home. Last season for instance he went 11 unbeaten away from home over four and a half months (6 wins and 5 draws) only to then (Villa onwards) not win another game away (13 without win - 7 defeats 6 draws) over 4 months subsequently.

By comparison this season's away form has been consistently good (more so than home) with perhaps only Reading away being abjectly bad. I don't know how he does it but it's the area of LJ's coaching that most impresses me. Being hard to beat away from home is some skill when he gets it right.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Was saying exactly the same in the pub last night after the game. In 25 years watching City it's definitely my best ever season for away performances, considering the sorts of places we have picked up big results this season, how frequently we have done so, and the standard/value of opposition.

I said last night that it wasn't long ago that scraping a 4-4 draw at Notts County or nicking a 5-4 win at Mansfield was the rarity that constituted an amazing, go-home happy away day. The change in standards is lightyears apart. And winning over half your away games is unthinkable in any division.

Johnson has done some remarkable things away from home. Last season for instance he went 11 unbeaten away from home over four and a half months (6 wins and 5 draws) only to then (Villa onwards) not win another game away (13 without win - 7 defeats 6 draws) over 4 months subsequently.

By comparison this season's away form has been consistently good (more so than home) with perhaps only Reading away being abjectly bad. I don't know how he does it but it's the area of LJ's coaching that most impresses me. Being hard to beat away from home is some skill when he gets it right.

I'm happy to say I was at both those games!

Sadly not at the two just gone.

Archived