IGNORED

Max O'LEARY - what a performance

bristolcitysweden

5 minutes ago, BS3City said:

Well chuffed for Max! Any idea why no keeper on the bench tonight?

Tactical rather than enforced by all accounts.

Been very dependable when called upon. No reason he can't make himself a hero between now and the end of the season.

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

Well chuffed for Max! Any idea why no keeper on the bench tonight?

Me too.  He’s 22, will fill out, and is getting experience in a promotion chasing team.  Think his emergence as a genuine no2 to Mäenpää is really positive (I’m assuming Frankie will be off).

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Tactical rather than enforced by all accounts.

Been very dependable when called upon. No reason he can't make himself a hero between now and the end of the season.

Had LJ not wasted a sub with Korey (tongue in cheek), we could’ve conceivably had a back 8 of:

Pisano, Hunt, Kalas, Wright, Webster, Baker, Kelly and Dasilva.

That is really taking the piss out of Pulis!

Really glad to see he's being given the chance rather than us using an emergency loan as we have done in previous years. Sure, we've seen Ben Foster and John Ruddy come here and then end up in the Premier League a short while later but it's great to see a Goalkeeper finally come through our system and look like he might be the real deal... and the results keep on rolling in too! Could tie down a #1 spot next season at this rate.

Games like last nights and Saturdays will do Max’s confidence a lot of good. He seems to be used only when we have to and then replaced as soon as we can loan someone in. Maybe he has been good enough all along? Ok, he’s not going to oust our first choice keepers when they are fit but I don’t think we have to dismiss him and automatically reach for a loan, especially when you consider what is actually available to bring in. 

Yes it could have gone horribly wrong but over the past couple of years Max has stepped up when called upon. I remember in the cup at WBA he came on at HT and did well, that’s a couple of years ago now and each game is development for him. He has a fantastic defence in front of him now who can protect him. He certainly doesn’t feel me with nerves when he plays.

Well done Max, you were part of the result last night as much as anyone.

MAx has rarely let us down, but he's yet to be seriously tested under pressure,

I hope he does become a long term number one for us, but people heaping praise on him now, remember it when he makes a mistake or kicks a few into touch, ie give him a bit of time to develop further

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He played earlier this season at home (can't remember the opponent) and pulled off an outstanding save in the first few minutes.

But a crucial part is how confident the keeper makes the defense feel - I think he is way behind Frank, Nikki and other Championship keepers here (at the moment)

Did the same away to Brentford.

34 minutes ago, Riaz said:

As a very young goal-keeper, he would be forgiven for making a few mistakes. But isnt making any. Which is great. Has a big future.

He did a ‘ Frankie ‘ two or three times , he nearly lost possession when he took too long to kick out and kicked once straight to a Boro player so let’s not pretend we have the academy’s answer to Gordon Banks just yet.

Max is a great young keeper and has a lot of room to improve which I don’t doubt he will.

He needs to ‘fill out ‘ and be more dominant in his area . That will come with age and experience.

Keep it up Max .

:clap:

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He did a ‘ Frankie ‘ two or three times , he nearly lost possession when he took too long to kick out and kicked once straight to a Boro player so let’s not pretend we have the academy’s answer to Gordon Banks just yet.

Max is a great young keeper and has a lot of room to improve which I don’t doubt he will.

He needs to ‘fill out ‘ and be more dominant in his area . That will come with age and experience.

Keep it up Max .

:clap:

Okay, i'll correct myself. He made no major mistakes. Which for such a young age and lack of experience is fantastic.

No way do i think he's the next Gordon Banks. But he's certainly alot better than a certain Marinovic!

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

As a very young goal-keeper, he would be forgiven for making a few mistakes. But isnt making any. Which is great. Has a big future.

He's young, but let's not oversell just how young he us.

For keepers, he's young, but we're not talking about a U18 player. Good keepers play at a high level regardless of age, and by the time Courtois was MOL's age he was in goal for the Champions League final against Real Madrid, with several years of first-team football behind him.

Frankly, I think MOL has been patient enough with us this season, and we need to repay him by either making him our first-choice keeper, or letting him go out on loan for next season at a Championship or League 1 club, with his place at the club reviewed on his return.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

He's young, but let's not oversell just how young he us.

For keepers, he's young, but we're not talking about a U18 player. Good keepers play at a high level regardless of age, and by the time Courtois was MOL's age he was in goal for the Champions League final against Real Madrid, with several years of first-team football behind him.

Frankly, I think MOL has been patient enough with us this season, and we need to repay him by either making him our first-choice keeper, or letting him go out on loan for next season at a Championship or League 1 club, with his place at the club reviewed on his return.

Not really a fair comparison, we aren't ever going to have youngsters like Courtois or De Gea at our academy, both were at the academies of European giants. 

Whats next? We are overselling how young Semenyo is because Mbappe won the world cup at his age?

Give it a few years when LJ takes us to Europe, then we can start making these comparisons!

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Not really a fair comparison, we aren't ever going to have youngsters like Courtois or De Gea at our academy, both were at the academies of European giants. 

Whats next? We are overselling how young Semenyo is because Mbappe won the world cup at his age?

Give it a few years when LJ takes us to Europe, then we can start making these comparisons!

It's totally fair.

The level is irrelevant. What matters is that a player at that age had several years of first-team football behind themselves. MOL is (obviously) no De Gea or Courtois, but many keepers play first-team football from an early age.

41 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It's totally fair.

The level is irrelevant. What matters is that a player at that age had several years of first-team football behind themselves. MOL is (obviously) no De Gea or Courtois, but many keepers play first-team football from an early age.

I'm struggling to see it, how many keepers under 22 do you see regularly playing in the Prem and Championship? Only one who immediately springs to mind was Dean Henderson who is now also 22?

Just had a look on Whoscored.com, there is one goalie for Leeds who is 20 who has made ONE appearance all season (think maybe against us?) and nobody else under 22 has made a single appearance in the Championship, there are three or four who are 22, Max being one of them.

In the Prem there are also apparently no players under the age of 22 who have made an appearance. Angus Gunn at 23 is the youngest making 6 appearances. 

So to say his youth is overlooked, when there is nobody of a younger age making appearances in the Championship or Prem is very very harsh. 

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I'm struggling to see it, how many keepers under 22 do you see regularly playing in the Prem and Championship? Only one who immediately springs to mind was Dean Henderson who is now also 22?

Just had a look on Whoscored.com, there is one goalie for Leeds who is 20 who has made ONE appearance all season (think maybe against us?) and nobody else under 22 has made a single appearance in the Championship, there are three or four who are 22, Max being one of them.

In the Prem there are also apparently no players under the age of 22 who have made an appearance. Angus Gunn at 23 is the youngest making 6 appearances. 

So to say his youth is overlooked, when there is nobody of a younger age making appearances in the Championship or Prem is very very harsh. 

Yes, exactly.  Not the finished article.  Not fully developed physically, but at 6’2 / 6’3, he will fill out (didn’t harm Van der Sar though!).  Look at the picture of Mäenpää at Lens (below)....does not look the beast he is now!  He now has half a dozen or so games at Champ level too and has proved he has ability at this level.  Plenty of years of development / experience in him too.  It wouldn’t worry me if Frankie moved on and Max becomes no2 to Niki.  I hope we keep Niki.

44859211-C585-443F-98FD-8AABA469B4A0.jpeg.4f5b347abe7056f765d40dc7264d01ec.jpeg

Archived