IGNORED

We can't compete with Middlesbrough

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Im still not ljs biggest fan due to the streaks of losing runs, but ive said all along that this year hes been let down on recruitment of a top forward. Being in 5th place with this squad at this point is remarkable!

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think the vast majority of the credit for this season's showing (so far!) has to go to the head coach, not the owner.

He lost his best three players and was not given the same resources to replace them. That point is indisputable. But the job he's done (so far!) has been just magnificent - and beyond realistic expectation.

Much of this is down to man management imo. All the players clearly like him and they are prepared to put a shift in for him. Sounds simple but some of the best tactical managers often lose the dressing room and have egos. LJ has everybody on board and in game like today that shows. 

12 minutes ago, dereks no1 said:

Much of this is down to man management imo. All the players clearly like him and they are prepared to put a shift in for him. Sounds simple but some of the best tactical managers often lose the dressing room and have egos. LJ has everybody on board and in game like today that shows. 

Could of sworn I read on here by quite a few that were adamant that LJ had lost the dressing room only 2months or so ago?

Perhaps he found it again? 

9 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think the vast majority of the credit for this season's showing (so far!) has to go to the head coach, not the owner.

He lost his best three players and was not given the same resources to replace them. That point is indisputable. But the job he's done (so far!) has been just magnificent - and beyond realistic expectation.

My point is not about "credit" and where it is due, it is about "expectation." 

For us, competing with parachute payment clubs and one day winning promotion from this division is our "Everest," our sub four minute mile. All require going beyond what might "realistically" be expected, or asked for. 

I believe that our head coach is not wanting for unrealistic expectations himself; you've got to have a dream....

36 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

My point is not about "credit" and where it is due, it is about "expectation." 

For us, competing with parachute payment clubs and one day winning promotion from this division is our "Everest," our sub four minute mile. All require going beyond what might "realistically" be expected, or asked for. 

I believe that our head coach is not wanting for unrealistic expectations himself; you've got to have a dream....

That’s just happy talk .

10 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Surely credit must also go to the owner for standing by his head coach when many on here were calling for his head.

How do you know that he was not given the same resources to replace them?

He's proved that he didn't need the same resources to obtain better replacements.

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Except that if it wasn't for the owner the head coach wouldn't be here (and would probably have been sacked last season)

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Except that if it wasn't for the owner the head coach wouldn't be here (and would probably have been sacked last season)

Last season?

Could have made a case for it 2 seasons ago, could have made a case for it after the run of losses in late Autumn of 2018, but last season?

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Last season?

Could have made a case for it 2 seasons ago, could have made a case for it after the run of losses in late Autumn of 2018, but last season?

Yes, following our poor finish to the season, I think it was the right decision to keep LJ but a lot of owners would have switched to try and get into the play-offs so credit to SL again!

LJ was backed with

Webster

kalas (do you honestly believe he is free except wages!!!?)

Desilva (as above)

elliason

moore

engval

weimann

The list is effing endless.

For anyone to say he was not backed is nuts. The club has invested millions in the development and training facilities and stadium to the tune of well of a couple of hundred million. We just don’t pay big checks to asombalongas etc. that’s the way we do it. And guess what it is working. 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We are about the sum of the parts.  We have good players, but no magic spark player (possibly Palmer, possibly Paterson).  Our players need to be at or near the top of their game.

We have often bemoaned teams like Preston and Brentford (for different reasons) as over-achieving, punching above their weight, and that we should be doing as well, if not better than them.  This season, we have become that sort of side, especially away from home.

Johnson has been a bit cavalier at times, and maybe that’s why he will have streaks.  Maybe we have to accept it.

Its a real conundrum trying to understand which team will turn up. 

I'm not being negative, but we could easily arrive at AG on Saturday to watch our beloved team struggle to string 3 passes together with Fammy playing on his own up front. 

On 02/04/2019 at 23:01, Kodjias Wrist said:

LJ has done very well and many acknowledge this. But regardless of how we are doing our fans and even other clubs fans cannot stand him! 

I'm sure this would change if we made the playoffs but even if we just miss out, IMO we have made a bloody good go against some clubs spend way more than us!

Many fans of other clubs are saying he's done a very good job here.

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Plummeting from 2nd to 11th?

Was more of a slow, fairly drawn out decline really wasn't it?

Yeah he made mistakes, mismanaged certain players- no doubt. However we were only 2nd for one game I believe.

Should we have made the playoffs? Probably. However the Cup run, the high injuries- would have all counted in his favour.

11th at the start of the season thinking back to Summer 2017, probably would have been quite acceptable to the board. Some memorable and notable results too!

We have raised our expectations now as to who we can compete with.  Years gone by, we used to concede we were a small club, always up against it in this league.

Now, I'm not so sure.  I feel we can call ourselves one of the bigger clubs in the Championship, which is remarkable when you reflect that we've never had the top flight riches to fuel our growth.

We can compete with anyone in the top 8 of this league, and hopefully will continue to grow.

On 02/04/2019 at 22:16, The Journalist said:

You may all want to sit down whilst I say this, as it may shock everyone...but

.....I agree 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What has ‘whether you like the bloke or not’ got to do with anything? 

Whether we like it or not, fans' preconceptions of managers, coaches and players have a huge impact on their subsequent opinions.

In Lee's case, he started with a bigger handicap than most, as you, more than most, will understand that the Johnson family connection is not viewed positively by all our fans! Many fans didn't like Lee as a player and thought he only played because his Dad  was manager and that he kept better and more skilful players out of the team.

Fast forward to the time of LJ's appointment as head coach and once again many thought he was only appointed because of SL's 's connection with the Johnson family,  and especially as it appeared that there was little selection process, despite SL saying the contrary was going to be the case. 

With all this background, it would not be a surprise that some fans were never enamoured with LJ and this would only have been reinforced when we went through the dire slump a couple of seasons ago, when those fans would have probably been livid that he was not sacked - aggravating feelings that LJ is metaphorically SL's favoured "son".

The nature of internet forums seems to be that some posters are loath to give up long held opinions, even when evidence seems to disprove them, preferring to persist with their initial views in the hope that it will be proved right eventually. This might be the case with LJ, although it does seem that more fans are coming round to see that he might not be all bad. 

P.S. As to "what has whether you like the bloke or not got to do with anything" -  see the classic thread re Gary Johnson for reference purposes!

11 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Because some fans fail to acknowledge what a good job he's done even now just because they have a vendetta against him.

Simple point I was trying to make.

Vendetta?   

What on earth for? 

Personally Ive never had real issue with LJ as Head Coach. I didn’t rate him as a player and it seems only his dad did........:cool2:

Early in his job and that run of dismal results I was able to pretty much see what he was trying to do and was willing to be patient and never once called for his head - particularly as SL had said that LJ was the man to implement his long term strategy and wouldn’t be going anywhere.

At times with LJ in charge I’ve been :dunno: with him but in recent times we’re reaping the benefits of what he’s done so far.

5th in the Championship with 8 games to go and a realistic chance of reaching the pray offs. Who’d have thought it eh?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Vendetta?   

What on earth for? 

Personally Ive never had real issue with LJ as Head Coach. I didn’t rate him as a player and it seems only his dad did........:cool2:

Early in his job and that run of dismal results I was able to pretty much see what he was trying to do and was willing to be patient and never once called for his head - particularly as SL had said that LJ was the man to implement his long term strategy and wouldn’t be going anywhere.

At times with LJ in charge I’ve been :dunno: with him but in recent times we’re reaping the benefits of what he’s done so far.

5th in the Championship with 8 games to go and a realistic chance of reaching the pray offs. Who’d have thought it eh?

we were 1 point off the play-offs with 61 points this time last season, we picked up 6 points from the remaining 8 games

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we were 1 point off the play-offs with 61 points this time last season, we picked up 6 points from the remaining 8 games

Yeah we were but this is a different and stronger team. No reason to assume City will implode again.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yeah we were but this is a different and stronger team. No reason to assume City will implode again.

No reason to assume but we've seen it happen (under the same manager and similar team). I'm trying my best to stay grounded but things are looking so good 

Archived