IGNORED

Webster > Flint

Port Said Red

I wonder what odds you would have got on Webster outscoring Flint this season? I was given short shrift a couple of times at the start of the season, when I said that selling Aden was good business and that we had seen the best of his career. I continue to stand by that statement.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wonder what odds you would have got on Webster outscoring Flint this season? I was given short shrift a couple of times at the start of the season, when I said that selling Aden was good business and that we had seen the best of his career. I continue to stand by that statement.

Don't think you were alone in thinking or saying that PSR, although looking back it's difficult to imagine how many felt we were almost doomed at losing Flint in particular.

I've said before that Webster reminds me so much of Gary Collier from our 1st division team,  and he was just about the best centre back Ive seen in a City shirt. A strong defender, but with that extra bit of class on the ball and bringing the ball out of defence.

Perhaps we've been lucky in having Kalas alongside him to help him settle in quickly and form such a strong partnership, but Webster has the ability to make it on his own.

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You certainly weren’t alone in that thinking and I’m sure that plenty voiced agreement with you back then. 

People weren’t too concerned about Bryan, because of Kelly and pre Dasilva. 

Bobby was the big miss, but our improved defence has made that less of an issue. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Surely he’d have been (very shortly) after the Ape..?

I reckon the gorilla's at bristol zoo would be better defenders than him. 

That graph is incredibly harsh on Fontaine, who despite being crap for the majority of his spell here was nowhere near as crap as El-Abd... 

Just now, Greedo said:

little known fact, but El-Abd is Egyptian for ‘the ape’

I didn’t know that. I stopped my research after discovering that in some parts of Asia, “Darrell Clarke” translated to “Dog manual manipulator” 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

That graph is incredibly harsh on Fontaine, who despite being crap for the majority of his spell here was nowhere near as crap as El-Abd... 

It was more a representative time-line, rather than defensive capabilities per se.  There was no similar picture of McManus so went for Fontaine (who I liked until his catastrophic dip in form).

Just now, Davefevs said:

It was more a representative time-line, rather than defensive capabilities per se.  There was no similar picture of McManus so went for Fontaine (who I liked until his catastrophic dip in form).

Is the 2nd guy mcmanus? I honestly have no recollection of who it might be

Ok, I liked Flint and thought we would miss his goals. But on the flip side I thought we had got far too predictable at set pieces and corners, everything was always aimed at him and he would tend to strop if it didn’t. Often we would be caught out as he then had to hurry to get back in position as teams swiftly got the ball upfield to take advantage of this.

I also thought he had too much say in the dressing room at times. Until the rebuild he centred himself in the room so he was seen and heard by all, overpowering lots of players. Yes we needed strong leaders but when it was his way or he would be moody that isn’t good.

I guess until I saw the class of Webster I didn’t really appreciate the weaknesses Flint has. 

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Fontaine certainly wasn’t crap for the “majority”. Lost his form and became the scapegoat

7 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Just think that our starting centre back partnership used to be Lewin Nyatanga and Liam Fontaine....

Last time I heard Nyatanga was working as a personal trainer whilst still being at prime centre back age! 

Such an amazing athlete, terrible concentration and reading of the game.

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ok, I liked Flint and thought we would miss his goals. But on the flip side I thought we had got far too predictable at set pieces and corners, everything was always aimed at him and he would tend to strop if it didn’t. Often we would be caught out as he then had to hurry to get back in position as teams swiftly got the ball upfield to take advantage of this.

I also thought he had too much say in the dressing room at times. Until the rebuild he centred himself in the room so he was seen and heard by all, overpowering lots of players. Yes we needed strong leaders but when it was his way or he would be moody that isn’t good.

I guess until I saw the class of Webster I didn’t really appreciate the weaknesses Flint has. 

Interesting angle. Was he that domineering? I thought him and Marlon were a double act?

The Flint out, Webster in deal has to be the apogee of the Bristol Sport 5 pillars this-is-how-we-do-it-now buy-young-sell-at-max-value-replace-repeat thing/dream thus far? Buying and selling Kodjia for a tidy profit in such a short space of time probably was previously but that was Cotts, so doesn't count really.

It's difficult to see Flint improving now, whereas Webster has time to do so.

Prepare for more wailing and gnashing of teeth this summer as Webster is sold this summer to .... the highest bidder....

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The Flint out, Webster in deal has to be the apogee of the Bristol Sport 5 pillars this-is-how-we-do-it-now buy-young-sell-at-max-value-replace-repeat thing/dream thus far? Buying and selling Kodjia for a tidy profit in such a short space of time probably was previously but that was Cotts, so doesn't count really.

It's difficult to see Flint improving now, whereas Webster has time to do so.

Prepare for more wailing and gnashing of teeth this summer as Webster is sold this summer to .... the highest bidder....

and if he is sold, it would be for three times the amount we paid for him, he's a better player the flint and has age on his side, he'll be in the prem before long, reminds me of Jagielka when he was at sheffield united 

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Fontaine was excellent for the majority of his career here , let’s not rewrite history.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Fontaine was excellent for the majority of his career here , let’s not rewrite history.

He was here 2006-2014. 

It was around 09-10 season that he started to drop off. That's certainly not the majority of his time here... 

Archived