IGNORED

Hunting the Towel

Gazred

Sure others must of seen Jack Hunt searching for the towel that had been used for long throws in the 1st half, much to Pulis' frustration, only for the ref to order a towel sent down the touch line for him.

Hunt then gets the towel, dries the ball off and takes a short throw. Love it.

1 minute ago, BCFC11 said:

Always bugs me this, especially when the home side only allow it for themselves, imo it is an unfair advantage no matter how small which the FA should look into and ban them.

Rules are....towel for both sides or no sides.  I think the rule was actually introduced to stop Pulis back in his Stoke days.

18 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

We are getting damn good at gamesmanship. Always used to be our weak point by far but now we've shown that nasty, annoying side that drives teams and opposing fans up the wall. Long may it continue

Exactly this. 

It’s about time we started to play the game like others. 

I don’t condone cheating, but gamesmanship is all part of “fine margins”  margins we always used to lose out by. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rules are....towel for both sides or no sides.  I think the rule was actually introduced to stop Pulis back in his Stoke days.

Indeed.

By all means do what you can to try and gain a home advantage (think John Beck, Cambridge and the long grass at corners of the pitch), but once the players are on the pitch the conditions have to be the same for both teams.

6 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

We are getting damn good at gamesmanship. Always used to be our weak point by far but now we've shown that nasty, annoying side that drives teams and opposing fans up the wall. Long may it continue

Too right, I thought we were lucky to get away with only 5 mins added. The ball barely seemed to be in play in the second half. Very unlike us in the past.

2 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Love Jack for stuff like this. Proper wind up merchant whilst (usually) staying within the laws of the game.

Carvalhal's Wednesday year two were the absolute masters of dark arts, proper horrible wind up merchants and knew how to get results. Hunt's brought it here with him, he's one of my favourite players in the side. Best right back we've had for 10 year.

From the get go last night Shotton took an age at every attacking throw in on the right side of the pitch, assiduously drying on a towel, every square centimetre of the ball. Having gone through this palaver on 4-5 occasions, which must have taken 20-30 seconds each time, on one occasion he threw it short whilst on others he then bounced the ball on the wet ground before throwing it! It looked for all the world as though his team was a goal up and he was "managing the game" - a phrase which I hate with a vengeance.

In the second half, the ball went off of the pitch for a City throw and landed on the floor of the front row of the stand. Hunt called for a towel, which by now was on the opposite side of the pitch, and all bell broke loose with the Boro bench claiming he was wasting time (he probably was!). Holden and Macca fronted up, as is their wont, the ref got involved and a towel was eventually flung from the Boro bench. The incident took more than twice as long because of Boro's complaints.

The use of towels should be banned imo as it's completely unnecessary but if it's going to be used by one team then it must be available for both.

48 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Carvalhal's Wednesday year two were the absolute masters of dark arts, proper horrible wind up merchants and knew how to get results. Hunt's brought it here with him, he's one of my favourite players in the side. Best right back we've had for 10 year.

Glad to see someone say this, I've not seen many games this season but I've really rated Hunt every time i've seen him and couldn't understand the criticism he was getting. His dark-arts style only adds to that

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Another one pretty clever at this stuff is Weimann, sometimes you got it give it back if you are getting it.

Several players had it in them last night, Bailey Wright winning a free kick from an underhit back pass by making the striker run into him (I think it was Fletcher? Who struck me as lacking intelligence most of the night tbh) Lloyd Kelly won a free kick from nothing shortly after coming on when he looked like he might have been in trouble, by getting his body across in front of the ball. Wiemann and Fammy won a couple of clever free kicks too

I thought the ref was pretty good for once, though a little in our favour if anything? We got away with a few "in the back" type fouls whereas they tended to get pulled up on them. I havent looked but i imagine Boro fans will be moaning about the ref?

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Several players had it in them last night, Bailey Wright winning a free kick from an underhit back pass by making the striker run into him (I think it was Fletcher? Who struck me as lacking intelligence most of the night tbh) Lloyd Kelly won a free kick from nothing shortly after coming on when he looked like he might have been in trouble, by getting his body across in front of the ball. Wiemann and Fammy won a couple of clever free kicks too

I thought the ref was pretty good for once, though a little in our favour if anything? We got away with a few "in the back" type fouls whereas they tended to get pulled up on them. I havent looked but i imagine Boro fans will be moaning about the ref?

The Boro fans are moaning about everything!

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

From the get go last night Shotton took an age at every attacking throw in on the right side of the pitch, assiduously drying on a towel, every square centimetre of the ball. Having gone through this palaver on 4-5 occasions, which must have taken 20-30 seconds each time, on one occasion he threw it short whilst on others he then bounced the ball on the wet ground before throwing it! It looked for all the world as though his team was a goal up and he was "managing the game" - a phrase which I hate with a vengeance.

In the second half, the ball went off of the pitch for a City throw and landed on the floor of the front row of the stand. Hunt called for a towel, which by now was on the opposite side of the pitch, and all bell broke loose with the Boro bench claiming he was wasting time (he probably was!). Holden and Macca fronted up, as is their wont, the ref got involved and a towel was eventually flung from the Boro bench. The incident took more than twice as long because of Boro's complaints.

The use of towels should be banned imo as it's completely unnecessary but if it's going to be used by one team then it must be available for both.

Thought the ref got that absolutely spot on, wouldn't restart the game until Hunt got the towel. Obviously knew he was playing for time, but the amount Boro had done the same it was only fair that we were allowed the same.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think he booked a Pack for putting his arms on a player when Boro did similar before and after without getting booked. But yes no complaints about the Ref on the whole.

Archived