IGNORED

Can we hold onto LJ

Bourne End Red

It seems he loves the club and is desperate to get us into the prem.

However his stock keeps climbing and think SL needs to fully back him financially in the summer especially if we are still in championship.

I just worry that sooner or later somebody's going to come in for him and offer a massive war chest to spend on players. That will be hard for him to turn down as he would be able to bring in players that he can't get near with us and may feel he's taken us as far as he can.

I get there is FFP to adhere to but I'm sure there are some tricks SL could use to get round this if needed. 

We need to push on and I don't think we will ever have a better chance of prem football with LJ in charge. Even if it's for just one season the parachute payments are massive and puts us on another level.

Keep it up LJ and after two fantastic results, please don't lose 1-0 to Wigan on Saturday.

I honestly can't see why a bigger club would choose to take a gamble on him if I'm honest. I mean maybe another Championship club may want to such as West Brom, Villa, Middlesbrough etc but I honestly couldn't see him leaving a club that stuck by him whilst he struggled and supported him with an amazing youth set up to go to a rival club that is not that big of a step up on the ladder.
With regards to Premier League clubs I can't see who would sack their manager to take on LJ? Southampton, Brighton? I can't see Brighton sacking Hughton and I don't think LJ would even considering working for Newcastle. The more I think about it the only club I could see LJ leaving to go to would be Southampton, mainly because of their youth and it is a Premier League job.

I think LJ will stay here, I honestly can't see who would realistically take the gamble to pry him away, especially when we have a good contract with him.

Understandable concerns about Bristol City losing the best English coach currently outside the Premier league (don't think there is any doubt now) but we just just leave this to M.A and the board to manage as they have done so well in the past. I appreciate this forum thrives on (sometimes) daft controversy but surely this matter is that simple to solve. 

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think LJ will stay here, I honestly can't see who would realistically take the gamble to pry him away, especially when we have a good contract with him.

LJ is Bristol City through and through and unless he’s sacked I can’t see him going anywhere.

He’s openly admitted that he’d love to manage in the PL but with Bristol City........

He’s  very heavily involved in SLs strategy of sustainability and stability and he obviously takes those expectations very seriously and no doubt in my mind that he’s the right man for the job.

38 minutes ago, Spike said:

I honestly can't see why a bigger club would choose to take a gamble on him if I'm honest. I mean maybe another Championship club may want to such as West Brom, Villa, Middlesbrough etc but I honestly couldn't see him leaving a club that stuck by him whilst he struggled and supported him with an amazing youth set up to go to a rival club that is not that big of a step up on the ladder.
With regards to Premier League clubs I can't see who would sack their manager to take on LJ? Southampton, Brighton? I can't see Brighton sacking Hughton and I don't think LJ would even considering working for Newcastle. The more I think about it the only club I could see LJ leaving to go to would be Southampton, mainly because of their youth and it is a Premier League job.

Bournemouth I think might see him as a good fit if Howe left for whatever reason, but no signs of that happening any time soon n

38 minutes ago, Spike said:

I could see a club being relegated from the premier league looking at him, potentially Fulham. As others have said considering our resources in comparison to a number of clubs in the championship he’s had us around the play offs on a regular basis

There are only a limited number of clubs that would be in for LJ, and ultimately he'd need to join a club with an owner that is willing to back him in building a squad.

If I were LJ, the only reason I'd leave Bristol City is if the stars align - he's either not getting the level of backing he needs from SL, and an established and relegated team is willing to give him the backing he cannot get here.

Based on the clubs that will be relegated this year, and the Championship main-stays with an eye on promotion, I can't see who would give him a guaranteed step up the ladder, outside of maybe Villa, or a Bielsa-less Leeds that somehow botch promotion.

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'd be surprised if there is a vacancy there anytime soon- Hasenhuttl very highly thought of and doing a great job there.

They seem to have lost their stability a bit as a club though, so who knows.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I expect a new and improved one is waiting for him at the end of the season, if it isn't on the table already.

While waiting for the end of the season is probably true but think the winning streak would have been the time to announce it.

30 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Understandable concerns about Bristol City losing the best English coach currently outside the Premier league (don't think there is any doubt now) but we just just leave this to M.A and the board to manage as they have done so well in the past. I appreciate this forum thrives on (sometimes) daft controversy but surely this matter is that simple to solve. 

Is hard to say.

Wilder certainly has a claim to this- but then we perhaps can forget how young (in football management terms) LJ is- why he's not even 40 yet! One of the best quite possibly. The best is probably split between several- best weighted for age? Why not.

It’ll be very very interesting to see what does eventually happen given how SL has stuck by LJ when any other manager would’ve got the boot. He’s undoubtedly an extremely ambitious bloke and if I had to, Id wager that he would take a Fulham or Villa type role that’s high profile (heard he was keen the last time - not sure how true that is though). Maybe not so much a Stoke, Cardiff, Burnley, Hull type role -a  less fashionable club. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.  Personally I hope he keep getting linked whatever as it’ll mean he is doing a good job here still.  

1 hour ago, Bourne End Red said:

However his stock keeps climbing and think SL needs to fully back him financially in the summer especially if we are still in championship.

I just worry that sooner or later somebody's going to come in for him and offer a massive war chest to spend on players. That will be hard for him to turn down as he would be able to bring in players that he can't get near with us and may feel he's taken us as far as he can.

I get there is FFP to adhere to but I'm sure there are some tricks SL could use to get round this if needed. 

We need to push on and I don't think we will ever have a better chance of prem football with LJ in charge. Even if it's for just one season the parachute payments are massive and puts us on another level.

Keep it up LJ and after two fantastic results, please don't lose 1-0 to Wigan on Saturday.

I don’t see LJ having his head turned by a massive chest .

Lj's record against Wilder is impressive. 

Other clubbs who probably have him on their radar (not that he would accept) are Bomo, Burnley,(Dyche needs back surgery and have had another decent season if they stay up) Villa (if Bruce doesn't take them up) Fulham (family connections) but myoney is on staying with us. 

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Other clubbs who probably have him on their radar (not that he would accept) are Bomo, Burnley,(Dyche needs back surgery and have had another decent season if they stay up) Villa (if Bruce doesn't take them up) Fulham (family connections) but myoney is on staying with us. 

I was lucky enough to have corprate tickets for the Sheffield game and at HT had an in-depth conversation with an ex city player and heavily linked with Sheffield roots about this and he agreed with me in that Fulham will be in this summer and will be hard to resist unless SL shows the same ambitions as LJ. Let's face it he would be a perfect fit.

Funny how opinions change so quickly, LJ is still learning, he is young and needs to I feel have a better understanding of player management. 

He, if I am brutally honest Iacks  a bit of authority ,mainly because of his age.

His demeanour is often a bit flippant and churlish which wouldn't sit well with a few Prem League outfits. 

But a good coach that is still learning and hopefully will progress both himself and this club to success.  

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Funny how opinions change so quickly, LJ is still learning, he is young and needs to I feel have a better understanding of player management. 

He, if I am brutally honest Iacks  a bit of authority ,mainly because of his age.

His demeanour is often a bit flippant and churlish which wouldn't sit well with a few Prem League outfits. 

But a good coach that is still learning and hopefully will progress both himself and this club to success.  

Too balanced. Pick one extreme or the other please. 

17 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Blimey mate, you’ve had a shocker on this thread. 

Bruce isn’t at Villa anymore (he’s at Wednesday now), Wilder is the best English manager outside the Prem.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bourne End Red said:

Where is his stock rising?

People on here today are getting way ahead of themselves (the same as people do after a few defeats), LJ isn't a sought after manager, nobody from a bigger club is going to come calling

When was the last time a manager was taken from a lower league club into the Premier?

It simply won't happen - sadly until LJ gets away from the win 10 lose 10 that he's had for many many seasons, he is still a massive gamble at any level

If nothing else, I hope Lee Johnson has now done enough so that, if we struggle next season, we won't have any more jibes about

1. The fact someone who has now been managing continuously for six years, three of them in the Championship "lacks experience".

2. That Lee Johnson has simply kept his job by being a "yes man" 

3. That Lee Johnson has no discernible managerial ability and that his reign has been wholly useless. 

4. The fact Lee Johnson is on the short side for an adult male.

Obviously he has his strengths and weaknesses but he's surely done enough now to deserve better than that. I refuse to get carried away until we see more consistency but he is without a much better manager than when he arrived and we are showing signs of progress. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Where is his stock rising?

People on here today are getting way ahead of themselves (the same as people do after a few defeats), LJ isn't a sought after manager, nobody from a bigger club is going to come calling

When was the last time a manager was taken from a lower league club into the Premier?

It simply won't happen - sadly until LJ gets away from the win 10 lose 10 that he's had for many many seasons, he is still a massive gamble at any level

I don't see him getting a premier league offer but I think you could put the job he did with us on a par with the job that Dean Smith did at Brentford or Rowett did at Birmingham and both of those led to better offers within the division.

Yes, there have been abysmal streaks of form but the reality is he took over a team struggling toward relegation and has improved us season after season without spending eyewatering amounts of money. He has also brought young players too, sold players at large profits, had several wins against Premier League opposition and reached a League Cup semi-final. I doubt that's escaped the attention of other Championship chairmen. True, he probably won't be the first name on their wish lists but teams don't always get their first choices, If a team like Middlesboro, West Brom or Fulham decided they wanted someone who has proven they can do a job on this division then I suspect they would consider him. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I've said it here before but West Brom is a worry. They were interested in LJ after Pulis left last Dec. Are they waiting until the end of the season before making an offical approach ?

Believe they have Jokanovic lined up - or that’s what I heard. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

The Villa boss has got to be up there too.

Whereas I don’t dispute that LJ is doing a good job, threads like this are a little OTT on only arise off the back of a couple of good displays - standard OTIB I suppose. 

Dont worry, lose to Wigan and the LJ out threads will resurface

Archived