IGNORED

Can we hold onto LJ

Bourne End Red

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

The Villa boss has got to be up there too.

Whereas I don’t dispute that LJ is doing a good job, threads like this are a little OTT on only arise off the back of a couple of good displays - standard OTIB I suppose. 

Yep and the Cowley brothers at Lincoln...their stock is rising quickly....

Whether we can hold onto him or not all depends on who came in for him.

If a mid/bottom Championship side came in then I expect he would stay with us, unless he was offered a boat load of cash.

A top end Championship side might tempt him if he was going to get a much bigger wage and a larger transfer budget.  I think we'd probably keep him though.

A bottom end Premier League side?  He'd be tempted, but it would depend on who it was.  There'd be little point going to Fulham at the moment. ;) 

A mid/top end Premier League side?  He'd be gone before they finished the conversation.  And I wouldn't blame him.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Whereas I don’t dispute that LJ is doing a good job, threads like this are a little OTT on only arise off the back of a couple of good displays - standard OTIB I suppose. 

Not really just a 'couple of good displays' , is it? It's not hard to know your thoughts on LJ, you want him out, but football is a dynamic thing where just a couple of good results, or indeed 8 wins on the bounce will catch the eye of some bigger clubs. As much as I want Lee to finish the job, I wouldn't be that perturbed if he left for pastures new,  and he will, sooner or later. What we have is a good solid set up at the club, and I would think getting a new Head Coach in  the shape of Dean Holden would be worth a punt.

2 hours ago, bcfctim said:

Bournemouth I think might see him as a good fit if Howe left for whatever reason, but no signs of that happening any time soon n

The question then is why would he go to Bournemouth? They don't really offer a lot other than Premier League and if Howe left you have to ask if Lee is a good fit to replace him? Much like LJ Howe played for Bournemouth which is a reason he's much admired there, LJ wouldn't have that same instant connection with the fans, but he does have that at Bristol City.
I genuinely can't see why LJ would leave us to join Bournemouth, especially when you consider the only real reason for Howe to ever leave is that Bournemouth take a downward turn and he is sacked at which point the job could be stopping Bournemouth from being relegated. I cannot see Howe finding a better-suited job and therefore moving up in his career, he is already doing well with Bournemouth, has a connection with the fans and the board, it's just way out there that either manager would make the move without being forced to.

2 hours ago, daored said:

I could see a club being relegated from the premier league looking at him, potentially Fulham. As others have said considering our resources in comparison to a number of clubs in the championship he’s had us around the play offs on a regular basis

I can see plenty of these type of clubs looking at him, the thing I cannot understand is why he'd chose to leave a club that he knows the owner is willing to back him, he has little to no instant pressure as he'll always be given time, financially backs him, the fans support him (mostly), has a strategy in place that he's comfortable working with and has his own players to go to a club that will undoubtedly expect results quickly, he won't have his players, he may not be financially backed due to the parachute payments potentially being needed to maintain the clubs financial stability and whereby the owner/board could sack him to replace him with a "bigger name". 

Not to be rude but if a manager such as Claudio Ranieri can be persuaded to join Fulham I don't think LJ would be their first choice, nor would it make sence for him to leave to go to a club that even a Premier League winner cannot turn around and was only given 3 months to do so? 

Lee know’s he is on to a good thing here. The ‘relationship’ he has with the Lansdown’s is a rare one between manager and chairman in football nowadays and he is not stupid.. say he jumps ship to a bigger Championship club or a low level Premier league team, a bad run like he has had here and lets be truthful everywhere else he has managed will not be tolerated. Lee know’s where his bread is buttered and wont be going anywhere IMO.

4 hours ago, daored said:

I could see a club being relegated from the premier league looking at him, potentially Fulham. As others have said considering our resources in comparison to a number of clubs in the championship he’s had us around the play offs on a regular basis

Sorry but no he hasn’t unless you mean we have been near the top half this season.

he had half a good season last year and is doing well this year, without the rose tinted 2 away wins recently we are still part of a chasing pack that we could have avoided with better results earlier this calendar year.

he still needs to deliver play offs or promotion (not a top half season) before anyone will trust him with premier league money / parachutes.

When you consider our wage bill vs Wilders - SU have probably over achieved they are guaranteed play offs.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep same old

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Sorry but no he hasn’t unless you mean we have been near the top half this season.

he had half a good season last year and is doing well this year, without the rose tinted 2 away wins recently we are still part of a chasing pack that we could have avoided with better results earlier this calendar year.

he still needs to deliver play offs or promotion (not a top half season) before anyone will trust him with premier league money / parachutes.

When you consider our wage bill vs Wilders - SU have probably over achieved they are guaranteed play offs.

Wilder has done amazing work there in his 3 seasons tbh. Overlapping centre backs too- innovator?

Should factor in age too though. As per @Fordy62 example of Smith, he's 48 though he has an impressive body of work. Wilder though a great manager is just over 50 isn't he?

LJ is 37 so time is on his side moreso.

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't see him getting a premier league offer but I think you could put the job he did with us on a par with the job that Dean Smith did at Brentford or Rowett did at Birmingham and both of those led to better offers within the division.

Yes, there have been abysmal streaks of form but the reality is he took over a team struggling toward relegation and has improved us season after season without spending eyewatering amounts of money. He has also brought young players too, sold players at large profits, had several wins against Premier League opposition and reached a League Cup semi-final. I doubt that's escaped the attention of other Championship chairmen. True, he probably won't be the first name on their wish lists but teams don't always get their first choices, If a team like Middlesboro, West Brom or Fulham decided they wanted someone who has proven they can do a job on this division then I suspect they would consider him. 

That’s a great post London .... I agree with most of that, he will definitely be on the radar of a few clubs - probably more in a ‘monitor his progress’ type way. I think one significant gap in his ability, where he isn’t proven, is being able to handle big name players - no-one had heard of our record signing and not many people outside of our city/catchment area will have heard of many of our players - with the exception of the Chelsea loanee trio.

LJ is in a very comfortable role at the moment, he’s dealing with largely anonymous players that he has signed from modest clubs whilst being able to develop youngsters ..... and he’s seemingly not been under too much internal pressure for buying, then discarding, players like Djuric, Engvall, McCoulsky, Giefer etc - is Eisa next? ..... and he’s escaped criticism for some horrendous loan deals - eg Diony - he’s in a comfortable place - why would he want to leave?

And, at the moment, why would any other club, on our level or above, look to sign him? He has no recognised achievements on his CV yet - keeping a club in a division doesn’t seem to count as an achievement - Mick McCarthy did it for six years at Ipswich with zero funds to spend on transfer fees (less than £1m per year) - yet he has been slagged off on here - so keeping a club in this division (not league) doesn’t seem to impress many....

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Personally I think we've got to hold on to what we've got. Honestly it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not. Ultimately we've got each other and that's a lot for love. As for promotion? We'll give it a shot.

I think we've Always got a chance. 

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Personally I think we've got to hold on to what we've got. Honestly it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not. Ultimately we've got each other and that's a lot for love. As for promotion? We'll give it a shot

If we make the playoffs we'll be halfway there.

On 03/04/2019 at 17:11, Dullmoan Tone said:

"Dullmoan" is very apt.

He had half a good season last year, half a good season the season before (and half an abysmal one), near playoff form from when he was appointed to the end of his initial season.

And this season we aren't "near the top half" we are, currently, in the playoffs, not "the chasing pack".

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Dullmoan" is very apt.

He had half a good season last year, half a good season the season before (and half an abysmal one), near playoff form from when he was appointed to the end of his initial season.

And this season we aren't "near the top half" we are, currently, in the playoffs, not "the chasing pack".

Thanks!!

I was responding to the original assertion that LJ had been regularly around the playoffs so would be attractive to other teams as their manager  - its not true.

And I did say without the last two wins - but we are still part of a pack of 7 chasing 2 play off positions - SU virtually guaranteed given other teams playing each other and it will be a monumental achievement for anyone to catch WB. The away wins were great obviously, but there're other managers in the division who would be much more likely to succeed at a "bigger" club than LJ based on his stats with us.

9 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Thanks!!

I was responding to the original assertion that LJ had been regularly around the playoffs so would be attractive to other teams as their manager  - its not true.

And I did say without the last two wins - but we are still part of a pack of 7 chasing 2 play off positions - SU virtually guaranteed given other teams playing each other and it will be a monumental achievement for anyone to catch WB. The away wins were great obviously, but there're other managers in the division who would be much more likely to succeed at a "bigger" club than LJ based on his stats with us.

Well his overall record with us is a more than 40% win rate, and 1.46ppg.

An average LJ season would, therefore, see us on 67 points. 11th last season, 9th the 3 seasons before that and 10th the season before them.

So budget wise that is overachieving, albeit by a smaller amount now than it was initially.

Logic would suggest that with a bigger budget he'd get better results. But football isn't as simple as that.

Also, wouldn't be that monumental for us to catch WBA. We have a game in hand and still play them, best case scenario and it's just 3 points to turn around in 7 games. Won't be easy though and would almost definitely need us to beat them if we are to do it.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well his overall record with us is a more than 40% win rate, and 1.46ppg.

An average LJ season would, therefore, see us on 67 points. 11th last season, 9th the 3 seasons before that and 10th the season before them.

So budget wise that is overachieving, albeit by a smaller amount now than it was initially.

Logic would suggest that with a bigger budget he'd get better results. But football isn't as simple as that.

Also, wouldn't be that monumental for us to catch WBA. We have a game in hand and still play them, best case scenario and it's just 3 points to turn around in 7 games. Won't be easy though and would almost definitely need us to beat them if we are to do it.

100% agree but would be monumental achievement / balls up for WB to fall out of the top 6 meaning we are still chasing 2 places with 7 other teams.

No way 3 from the chasing pack will overtake no matter how great their managers

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

100% agree but would be monumental achievement / balls up for WB to fall out of the top 6 meaning we are still chasing 2 places with 7 other teams.

No way 3 from the chasing pack will overtake no matter how great their managers

Agree with that mostly, WBA are pretty much safe for top 6.

Could be said we are chasing one of 3 spots, given WBA are catchable- though it's a very tough task, while the other six are fighting over 2.

Only other team I'd say might catch them is Derby, as they play each other on the final game and Derby have a game in hand, but they're 2 points further behind us. 

Plus with us having to play Derby that guarantees at least one of us dropping points making it harder for either to catch WBA.

In theory it could be that we go into the last day with a draw between Derby and WBA being a bad result for us, but either team winning being good.

7 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Personally I think we've got to hold on to what we've got. Honestly it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not. Ultimately we've got each other and that's a lot for love. As for promotion? We'll give it a shot.

Bloody hell OTIK. I always admired your musical taste.  UNTIL NOW!

It is what it is? 

managers come and go, players come and go through that revolving door. Always meltdowns when favourites leave, and rapidly forgotten when replacements are actually better than what we had before. The only constant is us. The fans.

not long ago demonstrations were planned against LJ to have him removed, then he becomes the messiah , then his replacement is talked about after another dodgy run and now he is back in favour. 

The life of a football club. LJ is typical. The club stuck by him in bad runs and SL never pulled the trigger, and in better times    We flap he will be tempted by fatter pay cheques and a better and bigger player budgets.  Who knows. Certainly not us , and to be honest I am  not too bothered. As our friend Neil Warnock said publicly, LJ got the dream ticket here. Why on earth would he want to go ? 

Archived