IGNORED

The pyschology of achieving confidence at Home.

southvillekiddy

Big question : Is there something about all of us that has to change if we are to reach the foot-balling heights?

Brilliant, brilliant couple of Away wins from City. Heartiest congratulations to the Coaching staff and players. Shows the potential in us. If only we could do that consistently at Home we would looking at automatic promotion.

It's always been my impression that we play with more freedom Away, (the most glorious example for me is the 0 - 6 at Bradford City when we became League 1 Champions) whereas at Ashton Gate in League games the vibe is too often "Let's make sure we don't lose" (for the gathered faithful). As a result the team clams up. The Bristolian joy at the possibility of mass group moaning is a major factor in all of this and there is a latent surrounding atmosphere which may help account for the dismal results this season against Ipswich and others who are well below us in the table.

So I ask,  aside from the ethos undergoing a massive change (which I can only see happening if we don't lose at Home for a few seasons) what can the staff do to overcome the problem?

I dunno :

'Lads, last season you beat Man Utd here in the Cup for ****'s sake and you've just beaten 2 of the top teams Away so my the **** don't you/we  .................................... ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Championship Table

Home   Away   Overall  
  Team P   W D L F A   W D L F A   W D L F A   GD PTS
1 Norwich City 39   13 2 4 41 29   11 7 2 37 19   24 9 6 78 48   30 81 
2 Leeds United 39   13 3 4 35 18   10 4 5 31 23   23 7 9 66 41   25 76 
3 Sheffield United 39   13 3 4 37 16   9 5 5 29 21   22 8 9 66 37   29 74 
4 West Bromwich Albion 39   9 7 4 44 27   11 3 5 31 23   20 10 9 75 50   25 70 
5 Bristol City 38   7 6 6 22 19   10 4 5 27 21   17 10 11 49 40   9 61 
6 Aston Villa 39   9 8 3 46 33   6 7 6 24 22   15 15 9 70 55   15 60 

No doubt some idiots will still see fit to boo if we happen to be losing at half time.

IMO the atmosphere is the sole reason for our poor performances at home. Commentators and pundits have often noted it and it cannot do the players any good. 15 games unbeaten followed by a decent performance at Norwich despite the result and we boo after losing 2-1 to Birmingham.

I've said it before, in the GJ years the atmosphere was brilliant most of the time. The east end didnt shut up for 90 minutes, and if we went a goal behind the whole ground erupted with noise to cheer the boys on.

I don't know why it's different with LJ? Do we just not expect to turn it around when we go behind?

There is apathy at home. You can feel it.

Dare I say it's just too comfortable?

It's so comfortable, it's like going to the cinema.

The Club want a family atmosphere.

But also 'support'.

I think it's hard to create both.

Said before...section 82 is a good idea in principle...but it, imo, has a negative effect on the 'support'.

Fans sublimely accept that's where you need to go if you want to sing or chant...so they don't bother in other parts of the ground.

I've seen individuals try to start something, even a small group, but no one will join in, so they shut up.

It's a catch 22.

Imo...for it to work...the whole end needs to be like section 82 with standing and singing.

Stuck away in the corner doesn't work imo...such a shame.

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

But also 'support'.

Said before...section 82 is a good idea in principle...but it, imo, has a negative effect on the 'support'.

Fans sublimely accept that's where you need to go if you want to sing or chant...so they don't bother in other parts of the ground.

I've seen individuals try to start something, even a small group, but no one will join in, so they shut up.

It's a catch 22.

Imo...for it to work...the whole end needs to be like section 82 with standing and singing.

It can get going well though even when behind- Norwich at home was a good night I thought, under the lights at 5.30pm a game in which we were not rated to have much chance, rain- all ideal ingredients for a good atmosphere.

QPR 2nd half was a superb atmosphere, the last game in that winning streak I think.

These though are exceptions. Agree with the bulk of your post- whole South Stand as singing and standing would be a huge boost.

38 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Most of the time this year we have played one up front at home. That doesn’t really allow you to dominate and that frustrates.

Hopefully 2 up front on Saturday and get on the front foot. All will be fine

Leeds and Norwich plus in UK and Europe a host of top sides would disagree tbh...4-4-2 can be a counterattacking, reactive formation these days and '1' up front if support and movement in and around can be extremely positive. In 2019 at decent levels, it is or can be a bit of a fallacy.

That said, Weimann if he is fit and Taylor if Weimann cannot make it, in this 3-5-2? I hope so!

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

But also 'support'.

It's a catch 22.

Have to say I agree with this, 100%. I don't get to Ashton Gate as often as I used to, but it is very different these days than the GJ days for example.

Now don't get me wrong, Section 82 do a marvelous job and a lot of hard work goes into it which i'm sure we all appreciate, fans and players alike.

But it is very noticeable that people are reluctant to sing or chant because they're not in the right section of the ground for that. 

Whenever I go to a game now I always try to get a ticket as close to the 'singing section' as I can for the reason that I like to get involved, because I feel like other areas of the ground won't be singing, rightly or wrongly, psychologically that's how it is and i'm sure that's how it is for fans in other areas of the ground too.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

But also 'support'.

It's a catch 22.

So do you genuinely believe that we, the supporters are to blame for our dismal home form?

What a load of nonsense. Negative, defensive tactics, games when we manage only one or two attempts on target!

The Head Coach, who at present with lots of away wins, can do no wrong. The home tactics appear very similar to me to those used by his father. Play keep ball in our own half for forty five minutes. Then if we haven't conceded, try to sneak a goal with our only effort on target.

If we're losing at half time, more negative stuff to ensure we don't go 0-2 down, followed by twenty minutes of all out attack to get equaliser/winner.

And that is our, the supporters, fault?

Spudski, for an intelligent person, you spout some real rubbish at times.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So do you genuinely believe that we, the supporters are to blame for our dismal home form?

What a load of nonsense. Negative, defensive tactics, games when we manage only one or two attempts on target!

The Head Coach, who at present with lots of away wins, can do no wrong. The home tactics appear very similar to me to those used by his father. Play keep ball in our own half for forty five minutes. Then if we haven't conceded, try to sneak a goal with our only effort on target.

If we're losing at half time, more negative stuff to ensure we don't go 0-2 down, followed by twenty minutes of all out attack to get equaliser/winner.

And that is our, the supporters, fault?

Spudski, for an intelligent person, you spout some real rubbish at times.

I was replying to the post directly above mine...thanks for the kind words though ?

Championship Table
    Home   Away   Overall  
  Team P   W D L F A   W D L F A   W D L F A   GD PTS
1 Norwich City 39   13 2 4 41 29   11 7 2 37 19   24 9 6 78 48   30 81 
2 Leeds United 39   13 3 4 35 18   10 4 5 31 23   23 7 9 66 41   25 76 
3 Sheffield United 39   13 3 4 37 16   9 5 5 29 21   22 8 9 66 37   29 74 
4 West Bromwich Albion 39   9 7 4 44 27   11 3 5 31 23   20 10 9 75 50   25 70 
5 Bristol City 38   7 6 6 22 19   10 4 5 27 21   17 10 11 49 40   9 61 
6 Aston Villa 39   9 8 3 46 33   6 7 6 24 22   15 15 9 70 55   15 60 

Worst home record of the top 6.

Away form is 7 points better and almost identical to Leeds.

If say we had won 3 more outright at Home and turned 3 of our Home draws into wins we would have 76 points and clear 3rd place.

Apart from the unencouraging atmosphere at Ashton Gate, we have to ask why we start so slowly and play so conservatively at Home. Does it come from fear?

If we have a sports pyschologist (?) shouldn't he/she be saying (even more forcibly) "Right lads let's play as if we are Away and going for it against a top team, try and refresh that thought every 5 minutes" Surely some imaginative approach like this could be tried to break the cycle?

2 hours ago, spudski said:

But also 'support'.

It's a catch 22.

We generate a far better atmosphere when we are the underdogs in a game. It will be better Tuesday than Saturday I am sure. 

Personally it would be good for a couple of players to produce their away performances at home, Famara for example. I would love to see him win a certain section of the crowd over with a Sheff Utd style performance.

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We generate a far better atmosphere when we are the underdogs in a game. It will be better Tuesday than Saturday I am sure. 

Personally it would be good for a couple of players to produce their away performances at home, Famara for example. I would love to see him win a certain section of the crowd over with a Sheff Utd style performance.

I also don't think it helps with the atmosphere when the players head directly towards s82 to celebrate or thank.

Bit of a catch 22 though.

As for performances...who knows why...it's an odd one.

I think atmosphere is a big one, but I believe atmosphere is due to an aging fan base that simply don't want to sing, don't get me wrong they are mostly supportive but they don't quite get excited the way they used to. 

You have to remember it's not just down to us how we play at home, most clubs visit the Gate knowing if they play attacking football they are playing into our hands. 

Blackburn for instance came, attacked and got well beaten.

Leeds, came, closed us down, bullied us and went home with a 1 goal win

If you look at the number of home goals in the 'for' column we are way way behind our peers and yet pretty much even for the equivalent away. For me we have to go for it far more at home and throw caution to the win and I believe the atmosphere would naturally respond and improve for the last 4 home games. 

Far too often at home this season the players have come out and it’s been awfully flat. Too many safe passes, no real urge to create and hurt the opposition in danger areas.

That then sets the atmosphere around the ground which it has been, apart from Swansea and QPR off the top of my head.

48 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

What an absolute plum

Maybe “sole” reason was incorrect but main reason. There’s nerves in the air, the commentators sense it and mention it! Add to that the booing that immediately followed a 15 game unbeaten streak and you don’t think that puts unnecessary pressure on the team?

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Maybe “sole” reason was incorrect but main reason. There’s nerves in the air, the commentators sense it and mention it! Add to that the booing that immediately followed a 15 game unbeaten streak and you don’t think that puts unnecessary pressure on the team?

How do you hear ‘commentators’ when at a home game?! 

Archived