IGNORED

Home or Away

Milton Red

Agree re Man U and Hartlepool, plus I would add match v Portsmouth in 1976 when we were promoted to the top flight. 

Away matches I attended that stand out:

Rovers 1 City 2 FA Cup Dec 1983 (City in Div 4 so underdogs and came from behind)

Fulham 1 City 2 March 2016 (Relegation battle. Tomlin’s 90 min free kick after coming from behind) 

First Wembley trip in 1986 v Bolton also a big highlight. 

Home.

1. Man Yoo

2. Crystal Palace (Play Off’s)

3. Hartlepool (Play Off’s)

Away

1. Liverpool (FA Cup) not bad for my first         ever away day!

2. Man City (League Cup) 1-0 up at HT against one of the worlds best sides on their own patch when nobody gave us a chance. So proud that night, they gave everything they had and only undone with an injury time winner (and in the 2nd leg)

WBA away in 1976 1-0

Arsenal away Cheesley goal

Man U away Kevin Mabbutt hat trick

Portsmouth home 1976 Promoted to Div One

Galley hat trick on debut at Huddersfield

All of Atyeo goals and there were plenty.

Leeds in FA Cup 1973 home and the replay

Chester with Terry Coopers boys

FA Cup ties at Rovers in 1967-8 replay and again in 1982-3

(Haven't checked exact years but you'll all know which ones)

My first FA cup tie v Brighton in 1951

The 1955 Third Division Champions

Oldham Athletic last gasp promotion on goal average!

Enough?

Coventry away 1977.

18 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Not been mentioned yet but Coventry at home in 2012 is one that'll live long in the memory. 

What, the 3-1 win under McInnes?  I can remember Pitman being sent off, and Stead scoring an own goal, but what was so memorable about this one?  We were both fighting to avoid relegation weren't we?

8 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Away? No doubt about it. Coventry 1977. 

Home? A few great ones in our time in the top flight, but more recently the Man U one 2017.

Yep, Coventry was awesome. Don’t think it’ll ever be repeated with thousands of City in both ends and a fair smattering at the side of the ground too. Just electric and the script of what happened on the pitch could not have been more dramatic. Almost ‘Roy of the Rovers’ stuff. 

The Forest semi-final away was also a stand-out. 

Noteworthy were a number of the Walsall away’s around that time. Do remember a Chester away in the dark days as being a good’un with our hard core support. The 2-1 over the Gas at Ikea was fun too. Shows that even when things on the pitch were really bad, we had fun. 

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What, the 3-1 win under McInnes?  I can remember Pitman being sent off, and Stead scoring an own goal, but what was so memorable about this one?  We were both fighting to avoid relegation weren't we?

Bolasie came on and with his first touch beat the defender and second touch rolled it into the back of the net in front of the Atyeo late on, was absolute carnage. Coventry ended up going down and haven't been back since.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Did Bolassie scuff one in at the death?

Yeah as above.

16 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Memorable for all the wrong reasons was 0-6 Cardiff.

Cold night ,sat watching in disbelief as it seemed everytime they attacked they scored , have seen us play a lot worse and win.

And of course the free programmes turned into paper planes flying around the pitch.

If that’s your stand out memory of your time supporting City, it might be worth investing your time and money doing something that you actually enjoy..! ??

37 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Bolasie came on and with his first touch beat the defender and second touch rolled it into the back of the net in front of the Atyeo late on, was absolute carnage. Coventry ended up going down and haven't been back since.

Yeah as above.

I think “rolled it into the back of the net” is probably being kind!

Some great games already mentioned Rovers away in the F A Cup is one I always recall with fondness.

Also The League Cup Semi--Final away to Notts Forest. And lets not forget the 8-2 game against Walsall which rounded of probably one of the best seasons ever.  

11 hours ago, Milton Red said:

What's the most memorable home and away games? For me the home game it's against Manchester United in December 2017, Hartlepool United in May 2004. Away it's against Mansfield Town in November 2002, Notts County in November 1999.

The Marc Goodfellow last minute winner??

’for hes a jolly Good fellow’!! 

Home,Oldham 1965,Portsmouth 1976.Away,Leeds 1974,Arsenal 1976,Coventry 1977.Also Middlesbrough c 1968 sticks in the memory.The 1 coach left Ashton at 4.30 am,[no motorways then],it poured down all the way and we got to 'Boro at around 2pm to find the game was off.Stopped long enough for a drink and a bite to eat and set off home,arriving around midnight.What a way to spend a weekend,going to Middlesbrough for a pint!

3 hours ago, nickolas said:

The Marc Goodfellow last minute winner??

’for hes a jolly Good fellow’!! 

A 4-4 game that I don't remember. The Goodfellow one was 5 years later, which I remember well.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/notts-county-v-bristol-city-10-january-2004-18397/

https://www.11v11.com/matches/notts-county-v-bristol-city-27-november-1999-185565/

I rated Goodfellow but nothing ever came of him and he drifted down the leagues.

Home games must be Man Utd in 2017 and the 3-2 win over Rovers in December 2000 - going a goal down inside 30 seconds!

I've only been to handful of away games so I'll have to pick the only one that we won, Cheltenham in the LDV the season we did the double.

26 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Now that was a quality away game. Unfortunately, as @The turtle will confirm, I accidentally punched my (now ex, obviously) girlfriend in the face during the celebration of the winning goal. Needless to say, it didn't go down well... :bruce_h4h:

On the subject, of memorable away days, when was the Charlton game where we completely took over the away end, despite not selling many tickets in advance? Mad celebrations and flares galore in that one. 

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Now that was a quality away game. Unfortunately, as @The turtle will confirm, I accidentally punched my (now ex, obviously) girlfriend in the face during the celebration of the winning goal. Needless to say, it didn't go down well... :bruce_h4h:

On the subject, of memorable away days, when was the Charlton game where we completely took over the away end, despite not selling many tickets in advance? Mad celebrations and flares galore in that one. 

Think this was the game...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/charlton-athletic-v-bristol-city-21-october-2008-283102/

charlton.png

Archived