IGNORED

Substitute keeper

Alessandro

LJ didn't name a keeper on the bench at Boro and said that the chances of needing a sub keeper is around a 1-5% chance.

Apparently "a couple" of our outfield players started their footballing careers as goalkeepers and could come in if needed:

So vs. Wigan and Max goes off - who takes the gloves?

Kalas?

Pack?

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

1-5% chance of disaster seems a lot higher than the % gain of having a 7th outfielder on the bench of which 4 cannot play

If it happened 1% of the time, that's less than once in 2 full seasons.

Can you put a % gain on having an extra option on the bench? One extra option on the bench can then mean multiple extra options when it comes to making a change.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If it happened 1% of the time, that's less than once in 2 full seasons.

Can you put a % gain on having an extra option on the bench? One extra option on the bench can then mean multiple extra options when it comes to making a change.

If it happened for 1% of the time that would mean we’d need a sub keeper for 41 mins per season and if it happened for 5% of the time then we’d need a sub keeper for 207 minutes per season...I think what you were getting at James was that if it happened 1% of the time it equates to less than a full game over two seasons? It’s still a rare occurrence - and always funny to see an outfield player don the gloves - I’ve seen Tinnion, Louis Carey and Rob Newman do just that!

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If it happened for 1% of the time that would mean we’d need a sub keeper for 41 mins per season and if it happened for 5% of the time then we’d need a sub keeper for 207 minutes per season...I think what you were getting at James was that if it happened 1% of the time it equates to less than a full game over two seasons? It’s still a rare occurrence - and always funny to see an outfield player don the gloves - I’ve seen Tinnion, Louis Carey and Rob Newman do just that!

and who can forget Stefan Maierhofer?

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And Lee Peacock. Allegedly Danny Wilson said see every football as a pint of Stella heading towards you and he never dropped a thing!

I often thought this are you better having another outfield player option on the bench rather than a keeper getting splinters, particularly if you have a capable outfield player to cover.

Their was talk the new keeper came off early in the behind close doors game, so maybe injured, that bad a keeper or had a bust up with LJ. If any of these are the case not sure we would come out and let our rivals know.

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

y if you have a capable outfield player to cover.

A outfield player in goal will be worse than someone who plays non league. 

If I were a fit keeper at City, if the Kiwi is, I’d be fuming that I’ve spent years learning my trade (no jokes please) and they would stick anyone in if Max got injured. 

Just seems an unnecessary risk.

3 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I'd keep one on, just given how unlucky we have been with injuries. However, I would probably give Jojo a go on the bench instead of playing the other guy.. hasn't looked good thus far

He's had one game so far...

Remember Frankie's debut? Was far worse.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

For entertainment value the Fa should ban sub keepers on the bench to enforce that an outfield player has to go in!

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Problem is Frankie came in with Championship experience and we knew he was a capable keeper at that level.

There's a reason the New Zealander has been playing German Third & Fourth Tier football his whole career, bar one season in the MLS before being released.

I think we knew Frankie had an off day, I don't think this other keeper gets any better

1 hour ago, Selred said:

A outfield player in goal will be worse than someone who plays non league. 

If I were a fit keeper at City, if the Kiwi is, I’d be fuming that I’ve spent years learning my trade (no jokes please) and they would stick anyone in if Max got injured. 

Just seems an unnecessary risk.

I do wonder whether a few players were carrying knocks from Sheffield United on the Saturday and Lee was more worried about them than Max getting injured.  Kalas and Weimann were both struggling near the end of the United game, and Korey had only just come back (albeit didn’t start v Boro).

Most games you won't need to even think about bringing on your sub keeper. Most games.

This season we've used 4 goalkeepers, and how many times have we had to subsitute one because of injury? With our luck recently, I'd be sticking one on the bench regardless. Even if it is the Calamitous Kiwi.

Unless of course LJ knows for sure that Max's voodoo doll was definitely the cause for the other 3's problems.....

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I thought he wasn't as bad as some are making out.

He had a couple of heavy touches with his feet probably because the speed of the championship caught him out. He also had a bit of a flap at a cross and booted a couple out of play ala Frankie. Other than that I thought he did ok.

He needs a bit of time to get up to speed and I was surprised he was given a start over Max tbh.

13 hours ago, Alessandro said:

LJ didn't name a keeper on the bench at Boro and said that the chances of needing a sub keeper is around a 1-5% chance.

Apparently "a couple" of our outfield players started their footballing careers as goalkeepers and could come in if needed:

So vs. Wigan and Max goes off - who takes the gloves?

Kalas?

Pack?

LJ

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought he wasn't as bad as some are making out.

He had a couple of heavy touches with his feet probably because the speed of the championship caught him out. He also had a bit of a flap at a cross and booted a couple out of play ala Frankie. Other than that I thought he did ok.

He needs a bit of time to get up to speed and I was surprised he was given a start over Max tbh.

Agree, the kicking magnified the criticism....a bit of a flap in a very windy game (once)....generally his handling was fine.  The pace of the Champ is a shock to a lot of players.  He made a very good save to his left in the second half.

He is no mug, but his work on the ball needs to improve - quickly.

At the end if the day, beggars can’t be choosers outside of the window, and hypothetically we did very well to bring in a guy of his background at the point of the season we were at.

And finally, LJ shouldn’t have picked him over Max, so close to his arrival / being on trial.

Archived