IGNORED

Low Crowd Tomorrow? (Merged)

Port Said Red

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, now. But I remember being at St. James’s Park for Kevin Kegan’s first game as manager and it was regarded as incedible that they were going to have 30k attendance. 

Newcastle’s massive crowds have been built on many years of top flight football. I’m not saying we’d ever get anything close, if we manage that, but back in the old 2nd division I remember a game up there when there were about 13k in attendance, so don’t fall for the myth that Newcastle have always been some kind of super club. 

The other side of the coin of course, is that attendances then were a lot lower across the board- from early 80's to early 90'sd amd even mid 90's they didn't really pick up with a great pace. Was only late 1990's onwards- you only have to look into average attendances in the last 20-25 years e.g.

Yeah Newcastle haven't always been packed out- but attendances have risen exponentially in 20-25 years too across the board- and Newcastle as with many clubs will be a key part of that. Clearly there will be exceptions, big examples, small examples, extreme cases etc but taking trends as a whole and extrapolating them...

Comparing like for like therefore while useful, can be misleading- football 20, 25, 30 years ago- let alone before- had a very different recent context and history with the resultant downward lag or slow growth of attendances.

Took a quick look at our attendances for that season- 11,473 the average and that included 20,183 in the Bristol derby!

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, now. But I remember being at St. James’s Park for Kevin Kegan’s first game as manager and it was regarded as incedible that they were going to have 30k attendance. 

Newcastle’s massive crowds have been built on many years of top flight football. I’m not saying we’d ever get anything close, if we manage that, but back in the old 2nd division I remember a game up there when there were about 13k in attendance, so don’t fall for the myth that Newcastle have always been some kind of super club. 

Yes, they also had sub 10k's at that time !

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, they also had sub 10k's at that time !

https://www.nufc.com/html/1991-92.html

Why not check for yourself? The odd one perhaps.

However, a better comparison is between attendances in football generally now and then- big growth proportionally and I would guess numerically,

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

This site is a better one tbh! Could perhaps be seen as disingenuous to suggest that attendances didn't dip significantly in the 80's though, especially mid 80's onwards and take some time to recover.

Good example- Manchester United- at the time the best side in England- were only averaging 41,683- I say only it is still very good, but by their standards. When? As recently as 1995/96 season!

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

Indeed - my daughter who is a dual holder is off to rugby but my wife is coming to her first football game of the season.

All legal like, paid for the upgrade from U-25 to adult !!

I wouldn’t question you, fair play if your wife was lucky enough to look like an U-25 though, just go for it ?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The other side of the coin of course, is that attendances then were a lot lower across the board- from early 80's to early 90'sd amd even mid 90's they didn't really pick up with a great pace. Was only late 1990's onwards- you only have to look into average attendances in the last 20-25 years e.g.

Yeah Newcastle haven't always been packed out- but attendances have risen exponentially in 20-25 years too across the board- and Newcastle as with many clubs will be a key part of that. Clearly there will be exceptions, big examples, small examples, extreme cases etc but taking trends as a whole and extrapolating them...

Comparing like for like therefore while useful, can be misleading- football 20, 25, 30 years ago- let alone before- had a very different recent context and history with the resultant downward lag or slow growth of attendances.

Took a quick look at our attendances for that season- 11,473 the average and that included 20,183 in the Bristol derby!

Yes, all valid points. 

It’s interesting that the introduction of all seater stadiums & higher ticket prices, have coincided with growth in attendances..! 

A couple of ST holders I know will be on holiday so won’t be there on Saturday or Tuesday. I imagine 20,000 will be the official attendance but the actual figure more like 17,000. Depends on how many Wigan bring. No many, I assume.

Overall our attendances have been holding up pretty well since the AG re-build. 

2 hours ago, The King of Spain said:

Lower crowds do seem to improve the atmosphere sometimes. Only 250 of us if that at Boro on Tuesday but we didn’t stop singing all night, let’s hope for the same tomorrow...result and atmosphere rather than 250 city fans! 

I do remember there wasn’t a massive attendance against Norwich and that was probably one of the better atmospheres we’ve had all season

I have ST's for both City and Bris but as I do not normally go to away matches now, I'll be at Ashton Gate with one eye on the phone for score updates from one of Bristol's most important games of the season. A win will make safety a very good probability whereas anything else could drag us back into the mire.

Would be nice if the club could put scores up scores on the big screens. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

2 hours ago, RedM said:

On the flip side Bears fans who are BCFC ST holders might be at the rugby but could have passed on their ST’s to others to use? Yes I know ST’s are counted regardless but at least the seats might have people in them rather than staying empty.

You asking the egg chasers to brake the rules shame on you

20 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have ST's for both City and Bris but as I do not normally go to away matches now, I'll be at Ashton Gate with one eye on the phone for score updates from one of Bristol's most important games of the season. A win will make safety a very good probability whereas anything else could drag us back into the mire.

Would be nice if the club could put scores up scores on the big screens. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

why?

14 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

break

Hands up, I'm having a day off and going to the egg chasing tomorrow to my eternal shame.

I will be following the City game avidly (if I can still see the screen on my phone) and feel guilty for not being there. :blush2:

If you see 1 Bris fan in with the posh Baaaaath lot, that's me. :boxing:.

COYR and for tomorrow, Bris! 

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

SC's aren't transferable RedM, not officially anyway. I think that's what CH433 was getting at, not having a pop at you. 

Indeed. But I’m asking @Ciderhead433 where I have asked them (the rugby fans) to do so after this response from him/her. 

‘You asking the egg chasers to brake the rules shame on you’ 

4 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sounding even more like a Sag, Bristol and Bath fans among our support may be lured to Twickers, plus Wigan are one of he most unattractive names in the Championship, the away support will be small and finally the weather is awful. Despite all of that it will still be a Gate of around 20,000. We have come a long way in terms of support in a very short time.

the weather tomorrow is forecast to be mild and dry 13 degrees so we can't use that as an excuse.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

SC's aren't transferable RedM, not officially anyway. I think that's what CH433 was getting at, not having a pop at you. 

I always believed the same, but then how come we have a scheme where concessionary tickets can be "upgraded" to an adult ticket for a price?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I always believed the same, but then how come we have a scheme where concessionary tickets can be "upgraded" to an adult ticket for a price?

No idea Phantom, it used to say 'non transferable' on the SC's IIRC. Cracking question though. 

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Average attendance in the 2013-14 season was 10700 (that was pre development with all 4 stands up). It is now around the 21000 mark. That is exceptional progress. 

11,929 mate, I can't imagine the L1 average away figure at AG was 1,200 was it if you're talking about net home fans?

Point stands though it's very impressive growth.

Archived