IGNORED

Qatar Investors

Bubble

There could be absolutely nothing in this, but just been chatting to a broker at work who was helping on a possible sale of Ipswich Town with investors from Qatar.  There attention has shifted away to team in the play off mix, where the infrastructure is in place.  Whilst he didn't know who this is he mentioned that deal for someone was on the cards for £35M with the new owner absorbing all of the debt.  This was subject to being completed before the end of this season.  Apparently they have a lot of money.  Not saying this is us and just sharing some over a coffee conversation.  

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wasnt the WBA owner looking to sell up?

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was going to say Derby are in a mess financially they would be my bet

I can't see that anyone could buy either of those clubs for £35M, even given any debt they are carrying.

I've no idea what our debt is nowadays TBH so couldn't rule us out, even though it's all owed to SL. It could be any of the top 10 to be fair. My guess would be Preston as isn't their owner looking for investment and more into horses that football nowadays?

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I can't see that anyone could buy either of those clubs for £35M, even given any debt they are carrying.

I've no idea what our debt is nowadays TBH so couldn't rule us out, even though it's all owed to SL. It could be any of the top 10 to be fair. My guess would be Preston as isn't their owner looking for investment and more into horses that football nowadays?

I read it as there's a deal for a player for £35m should the Qataris get involved.

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was going to say Derby are in a mess financially they would be my bet

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Mel Morris brought the ground for £80m so I doubt it'd be anywhere near as low as £35m- agreed.

WBA maybe? Were pretty well run under Jeremy Peace for years- but that seems to have changed.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I read it as there's a deal for a player for £35m should the Qataris get involved.

Could be James. Not how I read it but you could well be right.

I read it as a £35M takeover of a club while absorbing the existing debt. We could both be wrong eh! 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I read it as a £35M takeover of a club while absorbing the existing debt. We could both be wrong eh! 

Having read it again I think you're right.

I skimmed over the "absorbing all debt" part.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was going to say that £35 Million doesn't get you much these days. I would only see them coming in as partners to the Lansdown family to spread liabilities.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I was going to say that £35 Million doesn't get you much these days. I would only see them coming in as partners to the Lansdown family to spread liabilities.

Wouldn't that depend of the level of debt plus whether it's just the football club being sold and not the whole Bristol sport group? Bear in mind, the football club doesn't include the stadium AFAIK.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wouldn't that depend of the level of debt plus whether it's just the football club being sold and not the whole Bristol sport group? Bear in mind, the football club doesn't include the stadium AFAIK.

True but I don't see SL selling the jewel in his crown of Bristol Sport, he will want a football team in his stable. Unless he is going to switch to the gas of course..... :whistle: (I shouldn't build up their hopes should I :)

I may be wrong but hasn't SL said in the past that he would welcome investment into Bristol Sport, if it came from a reliable source? 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

True but I don't see SL selling the jewel in his crown of Bristol Sport, he will want a football team in his stable. Unless he is going to switch to the gas of course..... :whistle: (I shouldn't build up their hopes should I :)

I may be wrong but hasn't SL said in the past that he would welcome investment into Bristol Sport, if it came from a reliable source? 

What have you done PSR? North Bristol (well a little bit of it) will be all over this now! :thumbsup:

The OP does say 'possible sale' rather than investment but, like you, I don't think it's us.

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

SL has said he'd be open to outside investment, but it was quite clear he didn't mean selling up completely.

Expect if any outside funding was found, SL (and family) retaining majority control would be a condition.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Isn't our set up really convoluted? Set up so both the stadium and BCFC are protected.

It does appear that way James. What are the assets that would change hand if the FC were to be sold? Just the players? Training ground? I've absolutely no idea TBH.

37 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Would there be any appetite for a majority stake but Lansdown maintaining voting rights? Some sort of dual ownership between the two perhaps?

I can't see that being too harmonious chairman. Anybody who has that sort of £££ would have an ego of sorts I should think and would want control. It wouldn't make for unified ownership IMHO. If one party had controlling interest then maybe but it would surely just add to the bureaucracy. 

Archived