IGNORED

What some of the creative industry think of our new crest.

Crimson Crayola

Almost a unanimously positive response in the comments (which I assume are from people in the design business).

Also good to see that the purple and lime is officially included as part of the brand guidelines document, and that we'll also be using single-colour versions of the badge.

bristol_city_fc_guidelines_a.jpg

I’m looking forward to seeing it being implemented next season. 

I’m glad that they have recognised it being more urban, and different to many other club badges, after all BS3 and Bristol in general does have a strong connection to urban art etc. 

18 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m looking forward to seeing it being implemented next season. 

I’m glad that they have recognised it being more urban, and different to many other club badges, after all BS3 and Bristol in general does have a strong connection to urban art etc. 

Next year will be interesting. Similar was voiced on OSIB but I'd love to see it more without the the roundel like in some of the street art. I guess more akin to spurs

5 minutes ago, Just8 said:

Next year will be interesting. Similar was voiced on OSIB but I'd love to see it more without the the roundel like in some of the street art. I guess more akin to spurs

It’ll probably evolve over time, I like it on its own without the roundel, I guess that shows its versatility

In my experience, the design community is pretty self-congratulatory. Everyone seems to know everyone, and no one has a bad word to say about their peers, especially if they've got some level of experience behind them.

With that being said, I think the review is pretty spot-on. The more I look at the Robin, the more I love it. On its own, I think it looks absolutely fantastic.

9 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

In my experience, the design community is pretty self-congratulatory. Everyone seems to know everyone, and no one has a bad word to say about their peers, especially if they've got some level of experience behind them.

With that being said, I think the review is pretty spot-on. The more I look at the Robin, the more I love it. On its own, I think it looks absolutely fantastic.

You do get some more objective views on LinkedIn and some bad reviews of design work. I don’t know if the robin has been discussed on there yet

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

You do get some more objective views on LinkedIn and some bad reviews of design work. I don’t know if the robin has been discussed on there yet

Yep, LinkedIn was how I found out about the crest redesign, because most of the posts I saw on there were other designers congratulating the CEO of Mr B and Friends on the work. It sounds like their work for Bristol Sport has been doing the rounds at different awards ceremonies too, which seems to be pretty standard for design agencies.

The Bristol design community seems to be pretty incestual. Everyone seems to have worked with everyone else, and designers tend to pivot to different markets with relative ease, all while being praised for their work in a certain market by other Bristol designers.

I can never get the LinkedIn feed to give me the info I want, but if I see it pop up on there again I'll post a link.

To be fair, their opinion matters not one jot, unless you are solely considering the commercial aspect (which is important, of course). 

We've certainly moved from "what the fans think" to "what the soulless designers think" unfortunately. It is a branding exercise, nothing else. 

I like the badge by the way (do we need to call it a crest, ffs?) 

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Some seem to think that our new crest can be improved just a smidge by the simple addition of a can of blue paint.

Most of them can't read or write so the paint is the simplest option. 

36 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The link was from an international site with very little link to bristol, so the comments are fairly reflective of what the wider creative community may feel. If you think it's a self congratulatory community you're mistaken - have a read of some of the comments to other articles. That being said their opinions do only matter from a comercial point of view, but when we are looking to break in to the prem, increase revenue and buy more and more expensive players this stuff starts to matter more.

7 minutes ago, Just8 said:

The link was from an international site with very little link to bristol, so the comments are fairly reflective of what the wider creative community may feel. If you think it's a self congratulatory community you're mistaken - have a read of some of the comments to other articles. That being said their opinions do only matter from a comercial point of view, but when we are looking to break in to the prem, increase revenue and buy more and more expensive players this stuff starts to matter more.

Its an interesting point. Does anyone out there feel any current Premier League club is losing money because their badge isn't quite up to scratch? 

There must be, given the rhetoric being spouted about the need to raise extra money through a clearer brand and identity. 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Its an interesting point. Does anyone out there feel any current Premier League club is losing money because their badge isn't quite up to scratch? 

There must be, given the rhetoric being spouted about the need to raise extra money through a clearer brand and identity. 

This is where we delve in to the murkey waters of badge vs brand

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not the Premier League, but Juventus dramatically changed their badge a couple of seasons ago.

24 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Yep, LinkedIn was how I found out about the crest redesign, because most of the posts I saw on there were other designers congratulating the CEO of Mr B and Friends on the work. It sounds like their work for Bristol Sport has been doing the rounds at different awards ceremonies too, which seems to be pretty standard for design agencies.

The Bristol design community seems to be pretty incestual. Everyone seems to have worked with everyone else, and designers tend to pivot to different markets with relative ease, all while being praised for their work in a certain market by other Bristol designers.

I can never get the LinkedIn feed to give me the info I want, but if I see it pop up on there again I'll post a link.

I did some freelance work for MrB a couple of years ago when they were in Bath, only for a couple of days but they were a nice company to work for 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

I doubt any club is losing money because of their badge, but is it not a possibility that some are missing out on the chance to increase income, no matter how small, by not improving on what they have?

Having said that, I am with Bill Hicks in thinking that anyone working in marketing or advertising brings absolutely nothing of any worth into the world whatsoever.

Archived