IGNORED

Bristol City v Wigan Athletic Match Day 39

Septic Peg

Good morning sports fans.

What. A. Week.

We gave Sheffield United a run for their money and then Pulis got a proverbial smack in the face. Talk about shithousing. I love my club.

So, back to the grind today.

A tweet was doing the rounds earlier this week that brought back some old memories.

For me, it's the 90s glory days of Agostino, Goodridge, Goater, Barnard and Taylor. If I was pressed to pick one, probably the Goat. On the pitch and off it, he was a tremendous guy.

If you look at the replies, the usual suspects are present from across the decades; Jacki, Atyeo, Murray, Super Bob... the list goes on. Not many from today's SQUAD understandably but in 20 or 30 years time, who will our kids be saying? Webster? Fammy? COD?

Makes you think... 

In other news that went under the radar...

Harry Maguire, Leicester star and meme celeb, became a daddy this week with the lady pictured within that meme.

Here it is in case you had forgotten:

Maguire shared an image of him talking to his fiancee on twitter following thier win against Colombia Image:This image of Maguire and his fiance went viral after England's win over Colombia

It just so happens, that baby Lillie was born exactly 9 months to the day, when England beat Columbia on pens. Coincidentally the same night this image was taken...

I'm guessing Southgate has no issue with his players enjoying a good game of hide the sausage. Warm down exercises are important you know...

Right, enough of me typing crap. On to today...

Wigan at home. Currently just above Millwall, they are 4 points from the relly zone. It's not been plain sailing for these northern lads after the step up from L1. But could scrape by this season, largely to the fact that Ipswich are all but down, Bolton are basically going bust and Rotherham are crap... Their last game was a 0-0 draw with Brentford which isn't to be sniffed at and they've also narrowly lost to Derby and drawn with Boro in the past month.

Ones to watch include Callum McManaman (cousin of Steve), Josh Windass (son of you know who - hisssss), Gavin Massey and Joe Garner.

Stinks of a draw. Our home form isn't the best and Wigan's away form isn't the best either so 1-1. Fammmmmm the man for us.

Give Windass some stick.

COYRs!

Let’s hope that Wigan isn’t a case of ‘ after the Lord Mayor’s show ‘ as I said before the Ipswich game , we need to win this if we are serious play off contenders .

I was wrong then and I’m probably wrong now but we need to win this if we are serious play off contenders.

No one team in this league will lie down so we need to win our individual battles and psychologically show them that the table is just.

Energy and determination are the key words for me today.

Go get ‘em boys !

:bruce_h4h:

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Let’s hope that Wigan isn’t a case of ‘ after the Lord Mayor’s show ‘ as I said before the Ipswich game , we need to win this if we are serious play off contenders .

I was wrong then and I’m probably wrong now but we need to win this if we are serious play off contenders.

No one team in this league will lie down so we need to win our individual battles and psychologically show them that the table is just.

Energy and determination are the key words for me today.

Go get ‘em boys !

Sorry Your Maj but I have to disagree. I think we need to win this if we are serious play off contenders.

Go chaps go

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Let’s hope that Wigan isn’t a case of ‘ after the Lord Mayor’s show ‘ 

I hope it’s not Major. Remember the proverb  "After the Lord Mayor's show comes the dust-cart" (or "donkey-cart", or "shit-cart"). Bringing up the rear of the Lord Mayor's Show is a team to clean the manure of the pageant's horses. If City lose today there won’t be many who will volunteer for that job 

Must play with two up top today. They’ll come for a point and get numbers behind the ball. It will be hard to break them down so we need someone to take some pressure off Fam. If Weimanns injured then a job for Matt Taylor!

This should be a "routine" home win.  Unfortunately we don't really do those!  However, I am always the optimist?, and would take a "Rotherham" type of home performance, let them have 2 players sent off and an injury time winner from Webbo/anyone and I would be well happy.  Points are always more important than performance, especially at this stage of the season, with a great shout of the play-offs thanks to the last 2 fantastic away wins.

36 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Opening sentence I want to see tonight, 'Bristol City consolidate their 5th place with a comfortable home win, moving 5 points clear of 7th with a game in hand on most' 

That’s not going to happen in the Post as there are no spelling or grammatical errors.

3 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

100%.

Put them under pressure from the off.

Why wait until then ? 

I don't know why Wigan are struggling so much with some of the quality players they have - a couple missing today though.

We'll be a couple of players light as well after the last two games to even that out.

Looks like a home banker on paper but so did Ipswich...

I'll predict a very close game with Wigan scoring then defending in numbers and City grinding out a 2-1 win.

Archived