IGNORED

Bristol City v Wigan Athletic Match Day 39

Septic Peg

My take is it was a lucky goal from a fighting side. Think the only reason there is a conversation to be had is because our home form has been so poor. Just don’t think today was part of that. We weren’t great but thought we were comfortable most of the 90. 

Just hope we don’t get too down on them as a fanbase. They have had an incredible week. I am optimistic about Tuesday as we may be able to play more like an away side against a usually free flowing WBA side. 

The last time we will see 3 centre-backs at home surely.

Overall, not too down. Adds a bit of extra pressure on Tuesday, but what a great game to look forward to.

Well done, especially Kasey, Niklas, Fam, Matty  and I though Pack got stuck in. in fact the team for the second half

Well done lads on the last 8 days

Despite what has been said about our CB's we are suspect to crosses from deep. Sharps goal at Sheff Utd was an example of how dodgy we can be and Wigan sought to exploit that and nearly did.

How we couldn't hold on with a minute to go is a blow LJ sounded gutted. BUT we are better against better opposition, bring on WBA

Gutting to throw away the win so late on, but in the context of the other games around us we either pulled a point further away or maintained the gap with one less game remaining- barring Villa.

A win would have been fantastic with today's other results, but a draw isn't awful

Very noticeable today, particularly in the first half was the lack of tempo from City. Sluggish, sideway passes with not many options. It made Wigan look good,

It changed on the hour with the triple substitutions. Managed to score two decent goals but unfortunately couldn’t hang on for all the points........

Still in top six. Seven games to go........bring on the Baggies....

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Come on gents. Who expected 7 points from the last 3 games. We’re right in the hunt and now’s the time to stay positive.

Your talking absolute bollocks. That’s  2 points dropped. What happened in the last 2 games doesn’t make any difference. We should be beating teams like Wigan.  

Overall a draw was probably a fair result, but with us conceding so late on it feels like two points dropped.

Seven points out of nine is more than I expected from the last three games, but what  a shame we couldn’t capitalise on those fantastic away wins and get the win today. 

First half we were far too slow. Second half was better but we always looked vulnerable, especially when they crossed the ball in. There was a spell in the second half where it looked like we’d overrun them, but we didn’t make the most of our ascendency at that point. 

59 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Im happy with 7 points from 9 points but we have got to up our performance at home to stay in the top 6.

What the **** has the last 2 games got to do with today’s game. 2 points dropped against a team that have been awful all season. 

17 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

Your talking absolute bollocks. That’s  2 points dropped. What happened in the last 2 games doesn’t make any difference. We should be beating teams like Wigan.  

We ‘should’ also be losing to teams like Sheff Utd & Boro away

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I went to the game and there crosses were dangerous all game and it was only a matter of time. I thought we had a 15 min spell in second half and that was it. Hard to say but they deserve the point 

Yes I agree, think overall a draw was a fair result. Both teams had great chances to score more.

As has been noted elsewhere we tend to perform at our best against so called ‘better teams’ so with WBA, Villa and Derby to play there will be loads more twists and turns!

15 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

Please show me where in my post I said it wasn’t two points dropped.

Is it “absolute bollocks” to say we didn’t expect 7 points from the last three games?

Is it “absolute bollocks” to say we’re in right in the hunt for a play off place?

Is it “absolute bollocks” to suggest now would be a good time for the fans to remain positive?

Look forward to hearing from you.

(It’s “you’re” by the way.)

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

If we can't do better at home we don't deserve a play off place

Why do people insist on putting artificial critieria on who “deserves” a play off place?

The team that deserves it is the team that accrues enough points to finish in the top six. Don’t see how anyone can argue with that.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I accept I didn't expect that but with the same logic we should be taking all 3 points from Wigan at home. It's all good and well taking trying to put a positive spin on things and yes we could have been out of the running but the point is we weren't, we were creating a gap with only a small number of games left and we let 2 crucial points slip.

I'll be interested to see how people view this game if we fall 2 points shy of the play offs.

Obviously disappointing spike but  the “ we should be taking all 3 points “ grates with me a bit. They’re fighting for every point and were a right handful to be fair to them . Sometimes you have to give other teams credit . We didn’t play to our best and were wasteful but to honest they could of been out of sight first half. No easy games in this league, if you ain’t at it 100% you come a cropper 

To all those people feeling cheated and upset about this afternoon. 

After today's results, would you rather be a Middleborough supporter or perhaps a follower of West Brom or Nottingham Forset?

Truth is, at the last gasp, our 4th choice goalkeeper made a mistake and we dropped 2 points.

A further truth is that we still might make the play-offs but almost certainly will not be promoted this year simply because we are not yet good enough; it's work in progress.

Progress has been good so be grateful. Onward & Upward!

26 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

On the basis of gaining/not gaining points against particular teams, it’d be fair to say we shouldn’t be gaining 3 points away to Sheff U and M’boro. However, we did, and we got 7 points against 3 teams we should’ve only got 3 against. 

By my reckoning we’re 4 points better off than we should’ve been, I’d deem that a result! 

Belt yourself in, you’re going to have many more stressful days than today. We maybe should’ve won, but after 65 mins many would have taken a point, obviously you were already spitting feathers at that point.

6 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Anyone know anything about this?

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2019/april/club-statement-racist-twitter-abuse-of-nathan-byrne/

I assume forma Wigan "fan" but you never know.......

Only what i saw from sky sports which is no more than your link has provided. It goes without saying if it was one of our 'fans' we get them banned but hopefully its not ours.

Very disappointing how much better their set pieces were than ours.  Did we deliver a good corner all match?  Eliasson couldn’t get past the near post, and Da Silva’s corner just before he was subbed was an embarrassment.  On the other hand, every Wigan corner landed in the danger zone and seemed to cause chaos.

21 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Only what i saw from sky sports which is no more than your link has provided. It goes without saying if it was one of our 'fans' we get them banned but hopefully its not ours.

I dont believe it was looking at the morons twitter profile, nonetheless its absolutely disgraceful. Looking at the twitter profile I wouldnt be shocked if this was because Byrnes goal screwed up the morons accumulator!!

Lets all be honest... we did not deserve to win today. That was a fair result. 3 pts would have been an unfair luxury after the way we played for 55 minutes. Shame cos it was a massive opportunity. 

Archived