IGNORED

Bristol City v Wigan Athletic Match Day 39

Septic Peg

36 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

On the basis of gaining/not gaining points against particular teams, it’d be fair to say we shouldn’t be gaining 3 points away to Sheff U and M’boro. However, we did, and we got 7 points against 3 teams we should’ve only got 3 against. 

By my reckoning we’re 4 points better off than we should’ve been, I’d deem that a result! 

Belt yourself in, you’re going to have many more stressful days than today. We maybe should’ve won, but after 65 mins many would have taken a point, obviously you were already spitting feathers at that point.

Why shouldn’t of we got 6 points against Sheff U and Boro, you seem surprised. We are good enough to be anyone on our day. At 3 o clock today, I like most people around me was expecting 9 points from 9 (as you seem to view it) what happened last week is irrelevant. 

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Very disappointing how much better their set pieces were than ours.  Did we deliver a good corner all match?  Eliasson couldn’t get past the near post, and Da Silva’s corner just before he was subbed was an embarrassment.  On the other hand, every Wigan corner landed in the danger zone and seemed to cause chaos.

We kept going for the near post routine with no obvious success. The delivery from their number 12, Reece James, caused us problems right from the start of the match.

Overall I would say that we struggle to score as many goals as we might, because we so rarely get the ball into the penalty box, either from open play, or we waste set plays. Others have already referred to how slow our build up was in the first half, but there was also no incision. Paterson was a really weak link in midfield and should have gone off at half time. Palmer can flatter to deceive but so much stronger and quicker, less touches, and better through balls into the box when he came on.

Unfortunately we got what we deserved from this game. We were poor first half. They were committed and their equaliser was a matter of sheer desperation from a team at risk of relegation. It was also horribly predictable given our record at home against teams down at the bottom of the table. We should have built on the second goal, and really gone for a third, but we went back into our shells somewhat, and tried to see out the game. Wrong decision! 

55 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Anyone know anything about this?

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2019/april/club-statement-racist-twitter-abuse-of-nathan-byrne/

I assume from a Wigan "fan" but you never know.......

Definitely a Wigan fan angry about the wrong player being officially named as scorer, I am told he seemed to have an opinion on what race you have to be to score a goal! Tweet had been deleted before I got to see it!

total tool - that’s not racist is it???

!

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

Definitely a Wigan fan angry about the wrong player being officially named as scorer, I am told he seemed to have an opinion on what race you have to be to score a goal! Tweet had been deleted before I got to see it!

total tool - that’s not racist is it???

!

Toolist but that’s allowed.

27 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

Why shouldn’t of we got 6 points against Sheff U and Boro, you seem surprised. We are good enough to be anyone on our day. At 3 o clock today, I like most people around me was expecting 9 points from 9 (as you seem to view it) what happened last week is irrelevant. 

So if we are good enough to beat anyone, using your criteria of who we “should” beat, we “should” play 46, win 46 and be promoted with 138 points, yes?

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

These tables mean nothing until all the games are finished

It already means we haven’t be relegated to be fair.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Please show me where in my post I said it wasn’t two points dropped.

Is it “absolute bollocks” to say we didn’t expect 7 points from the last three games?

Is it “absolute bollocks” to say we’re in right in the hunt for a play off place?

Is it “absolute bollocks” to suggest now would be a good time for the fans to remain positive?

Look forward to hearing from you.

(It’s “you’re” by the way.)

YOU’RE  obviously happy  and surprised with 7 points from the last three games. Although what last weeks games have  got to do with a thread about City v Wigan I don’t know.  Cast your mind back to 3 o clock today and we all expected 9 from 9. 

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So if we are good enough to beat anyone, using your criteria of who we “should” beat, we “should” play 46, win 46 and be promoted with 138 points, yes?

It already means we haven’t be relegated to be fair.

“On our day we are good enough to beat anyone”. Read my reply  properly mate. 

6 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

YOU’RE  obviously happy  and surprised with 7 points from the last three games. Although what last weeks games have  got to do with a thread about City v Wigan I don’t know.  Cast your mind back to 3 o clock today and we all expected 9 from 9. 

So much like how Sheffield united would have expected 3 points from the game v us? 

Nobody should 'expect' anything in the championship, that's what makes this league as good as it is

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

So much like how Sheffield united would have expected 3 points from the game v us? 

Nobody should 'expect' anything in the championship, that's what makes this league as good as it is

8 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

“On our day we are good enough to beat anyone”. Read my reply  properly mate. 

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I hope nobody expected to beat Wigan, especially with our home form. 

I certainly didn't expect 3 points, given our home record, especially against teams battling to avoid relegation. I hoped we might get 3 points, but despite a glorious 10 minutes in the second half after the substitutions, the rest of it, with the exception of Diedhiou, who was immense, lived down to the experiences against Ipswich and Rotherham. Perhaps we needed Mr Stroud to send off 2 of their players to give us more of a chance?!!

Today we just wasted two of the points that were so hard earned at Bramall Lane and the Riverside.

When is Wonder coach going to learn how we should play at home? It really is turgid what we have to watch at Ashton Gate and in his post game interview, he seemed pleased with seven from nine.

I'm not.

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Today we just wasted two of the points that were so hard earned at Bramall Lane and the Riverside.

When is Wonder coach going to learn how we should play at home? It really is turgid what we have to watch at Ashton Gate and in his post game interview, he seemed pleased with seven from nine.

I'm not.

These games against teams battling at the bottom with nothing to lose are difficult, but should we fail to make the playoffs, it's games like this that we look back on as being wasted opportunities, and as points lost. Good teams win games like today. Can you imagine Norwich struggling at home like that? No, neither can I.

2 points out of a possible 12 in our last 4 home games, and one of the worst home records in the division, suggests we have a significant problem.

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm not.

Are you really saying that you are not happy with 7pts from the last 3 games we played. It’s a fantastic return especially looking at some of the results today. Ok maybe the points gained were not against the teams we expected but I’m not disappointed from the last week’s efforts. 

1 minute ago, allyolly said:

Are you really saying that you are not happy with 7pts from the last 3 games we played. It’s a fantastic return especially looking at some of the results today. Ok maybe the points gained were not against the teams we expected but I’m not disappointed from the last week’s efforts. 

Here we go again, another bellend happy with a point today because we won our last 2 games

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm not.

Think it comes down to the fact that Johnson is a defence minded coach.

Witch ever way you look at it we started with 5 defenders at home against a side with one of the worse away record of any in our league. When we play away he doesn't have to gamble, he knows what's coming at us.

We very rarely start on the front foot at home allowing sides such as Ipswich, Brum and today to get into a comfort zone very early. Both Hull and Brentford far to easy took control and we were         quite fortunate to take points from those games.

Today with 5 defenders on the pitch and 3 on the bench is surly lopsided?

We can only hope he gets the courage of his conviction and has a go from the start in the remaining home games and we don't end up with if only.

Must say watching the Brighton Man C game it looked to me like they were happy not take a hammering, Semi Final?

Just hope we don't play safe give it a real go. If we fail no problem, bring on next season.

Archived