IGNORED

Bristol City v Wigan Athletic Match Day 39

Septic Peg

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Today we just wasted two of the points that were so hard earned at Bramall Lane and the Riverside.

When is Wonder coach going to learn how we should play at home? It really is turgid what we have to watch at Ashton Gate and in his post game interview, he seemed pleased with seven from nine.

I'm not.

Spot on - after the unbelievable results away at Blades and Boro, today was a huge opportunity. We just don’t seem to be able to do it at home. We’ve only got three points from our last five home games since we last won at home on 12th Feb...still concerns me...

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I accept I didn't expect that but with the same logic we should be taking all 3 points from Wigan at home. 

I can answer that statement in one sentence.

It's the Championship and anyone can, and do, beat anyone on any given week.

For all the many years I've been following City and football in general, the one thing I've learned is the better team doesn't always win. That's what makes football the greatest sport of all. In tennis usually the best player always wins. In F1, the best team/car/driver always wins, in rugby the All Blacks always win etc...

There's a reason the FA cup is renowned for upsets.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - after the unbelievable results away at Blades and Boro, today was a huge opportunity. We just don’t seem to be able to do it at home. We’ve only got three points from our last five home games since we last won at home on 12th Feb...still concerns me...

The difference between away and home performances is largely down to the home team having the onus on them to win the game and tend to play attacking football and are more open.

That suits City and why City have won more away matches than any other club.in the Championship.

The reverse applies at AG. The onus is on City to attack but come up against a tight defence that often set up a defensive formation.

We’ve seen  just how difficult it is to break them down plenty of times this season.

4 minutes ago, allyolly said:

That’s brilliant. Admire your optimism and I hope you’re right. 

Surely when you go to a game you expect us to win? I know sometimes you heart rules your head but If you think we’re going to lose why bother going. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The difference between away and home performances is largely down to the home team having the onus on them to win the game and tend to play attacking football and are more open.

That suits City and why City have won more away matches than any other club in the championship.

Yiu obviously didn’t bother to examine the away records of Sheff Utd, Leeds, Norwich and West Brom before making that bold (and incorrect) statement....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yiu obviously didn’t bother to examine the away records of Sheff Utd, Leeds, Norwich and West Brom before making that bold (and incorrect) statement....

Someone told me that today at AG. I had no reason to question it.

If it’s wrong then it’s wrong............:dunno:

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That suits City and why City have won more away matches than any other club.in the Championship.

The reverse applies at AG. The onus is on City to attack but come up against a tight defence that often set up a defensive formation.

We’ve seen  just how difficult it is to break them down plenty of times this season.

Two points, one you have already been corrected on.

The second you say it's just how difficult it is to break teams down at the Gate. What reason is there that every team in the top half of the table seems to manage it better? Could it be that we don't set up aggressively enough at home or teams defend deeper and better at our place as they know we are such a destructive force at home?

14 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

you say it's just how difficult it is to break teams down at the Gate. What reason is there that every team in the top half of the table seems to manage it better? Could it be that we don't set up aggressively enough at home or teams defend deeper and better at our place as they know we are such a destructive force at home?

I think it’s down to lack of creativity in midfield. Nierher Pack or Brownhill are creative and Pato.........:facepalm:

Wigan had as many shots as us.

Actually I recall them posing quite a few problems to us at the back- where is the tight defensive opposition shape to which you refer @Robbored ?

Bolton at home and at times Millwall and Rotherham at home I'd agree, but in general...? Hell Ipswich came here even with a positive approach but certainly when behind.

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could you list the opposition in question, who came in this manner? Not sure there have been a huge number.

Away from home, agree with more of what you say but worth noting also that a number of sides we've travelled to are even counterattacking at home.. Preston and Birmingham for 2.

1 hour ago, RED@BS14 said:

Surely when you go to a game you expect us to win? I know sometimes you heart rules your head but If you think we’re going to lose why bother going. 

I go to games hoping we'll win. 

There's a big difference between hoping and expecting though... 

4 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

I wonder if the players go out Hoping to win

So you're telling me you expected to beat man city last year? Rubbish... 

The players should go out knowing that they all need to put a shift in and see where that gets them. 

Nobody can expect anything in the championship, I find it amazing that you expect us to win every game tbh we aren't Barcelona... 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think it’s down to lack of creativity in midfield. Nierher Pack or Brownhill are creative and Pato.........:facepalm:

.....when Weimann was playing as a genuine centre forward at the start of the season, Pack created his goals - eg Bolton away...its harsh to say we lack creativity in midfield....LJ brought Fammy straight back in after his ban, Weimann was shunted out wide and Fammy just couldn’t read Pack in the way that Weimann did.....look at Pack’s pass here at 02:35 .....

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There lies a big problem Pats. If he doesn't offer creativity he gives nothing to the team. He couldn't tackle a wet paper bag and doesn't want to. Avoids physical contact at all cost, has the knack of arriving at a challenge just to late, and while shielding the ball he has to be careful of guests of wind.

The roll he plays, that of a luxury well for me his lack of grit totally outweighs his skill.

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

So you're telling me you expected to beat man city last year? Rubbish... 

The players should go out knowing that they all need to put a shift in and see where that gets them. 

Nobody can expect anything in the championship, I find it amazing that you expect us to win every game tbh we aren't Barcelona... 

Yes i did. I put money on it. I cashed out at half time at the Etihad. I also won a few quid when we beat Man U. 

The players go out to win or at least they should do, not hoping for a win  or seeing where it gets them  

We are no Barcelona but we are playing in a league that we are capable of beating anyone, so yes I do expect us to win especially when you’re 2-1 up against a side With the worst away record in the league  

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

There lies a big problem Pats. If he doesn't offer creativity he gives nothing to the team. He couldn't tackle a wet paper bag and doesn't want to. Avoids physical contact at all cost, has the knack of arriving at a challenge just to late, and while shielding the ball he has to be careful of guests of wind.

The roll he plays, that of a luxury well for me his lack of grit totally outweighs his skill.

Does make you wonder what Lee sees in him, almost everybody, well most on here anyway reckon he's a lightweight who adds nothing to the team, let's see who is right, my money's on ??? well ok if you push me think you lot are right, mind you a lot of players let us down today, so do we see the real players or do we have to travel away, so who is going to turn up Tuesday? your guess is as good as mine!

19 minutes ago, RED@BS14 said:

Yes i did. I put money on it. I cashed out at half time at the Etihad. I also won a few quid when we beat Man U. 

The players go out to win or at least they should do, not hoping for a win  or seeing where it gets them  

We are no Barcelona but we are playing in a league that we are capable of beating anyone, so yes I do expect us to win especially when you’re 2-1 up against a side With the worst away record in the league  

Why would you cash out if you expected us to beat the best side in Premier league history away from home? Slightly odd that... 

Of course the players should believe they should win, however we aren't the players and most of us (obviously not you...) know that this is a competitive league where there are no walkovers. 

With our home form this season I certainly don't expect us to beat anybody, I wouldn't anyway even if we were excellent at home as this is such a tough league to predict. 

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Based on what?

Arsenal FC 2003/04 didn’t lose a game.....

Most points in a season in premier league history 

Most wins in season in Premier league history 

Most goals in a season in premier league history 

Highest goal difference in Premier league history 

And some of the football they played was just sublime. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You have actually hit the nail on the head. Our midfield are either too slow or want too many touches, or both. Creativity is so lacking it hurts. The introduction of Palmee showed what a creative midfielder can do but the issue for him is doing it for 90 minutes rather than these cameos as a substitute.

We certainly need to play better against West Brom if we want a result on Tuesday, but I can see LJ going back to his favoured 4-1-4-1 formation, with Diedhiou isolated up front.

23 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

You have actually hit the nail on the head. Our midfield are either too slow or want too many touches, or both. Creativity is so lacking it hurts. The introduction of Palmee showed what a creative midfielder can do but the issue for him is doing it for 90 minutes rather than these cameos as a substitute.

We certainly need to play better against West Brom if we want a result on Tuesday, but I can see LJ going back to his favoured 4-1-4-1 formation, with Diedhiou isolated up front.

4-1-4-1 doesn't leave a striker, aka the final '1' isolated. Intent does.

Intent of the team in the middle 4 especially, the full backs and all begins with the manager and their tactics, mindset on the day.

10 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Done nothing wrong cuz he’s done nothing at all!

I think Patterson has been terrible at times. Against Ipswich he kept falling over and giving the ball away. The worst performance from a city player in a long time. At the moment he’s living off of last season performances. 

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The Baggies on Tuesday will be an open game. They’ll be on the front foot having lost yesterday and City will want to get back to winning ways and that all points to an exciting game.

Im really looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Our top 3 players for assists this season are Hunt, Eliasson & Taylor all on 5 assists. I’d say that’s actually not too bad for the three of them because 2 don’t start very often, and Hunt is a right back who also had a spell out injured this season. 

Paterson has 3. He’s meant to be the link between midfield and attack, he’s also on set pieces sometimes & that is pathetic. 

I’ve never been a big fan of Paterson, but I think he plays because whenever he doesn’t, we miss his energy in there. I think when Korey Smith is fit enough to play again, Paterson won’t get in the side. 

Who else plays there instead of Pato then? 

Could Taylor play in behind playing the role Paterson does? I think he certainly has the work rate & generally just a bit more about him. 

Palmer? I think he could do, he’s been here long enough to learn the defensive duties expected of him by now surely. He’s also been moving the ball quicker and not trying to beat 5 men every time recently when he’s been playing.  

Archived