IGNORED

Max o'leary

Lez

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Couldn't blame Max for the first goal. Their player should never have been allowed to shoot. 

The cross that hit the post was a worry, and he doesn't look confident on crosses, which given the predictable aerial bombardment at the end was a problem.

That said by comparison, the Wigan keeper was a piece of work. He made a couple of great saves but the play acting and time wasting was pathetic. 

But their player did shoot and Max should have done better. 

36 minutes ago, shelts said:

How quick people are on here to criticise. Where was Pack and Brownhill?

The lad is learning his trade and has been thrown in as we’ve nothing else and he will make the odd wrong decision. LJ not doing very well with keepers 

Both quieter today against an energetic Reece James and combative Morsy.  Pack a bit over-pretty today.  But both Pack and Brownhill suffering from an infective Paterson in front of them today, who had a poor day.  Palmer got us sparked and Pack and Brownhill better when he came on.  Dasilva looked jaded today...2 tough away games as energetic wingback took its toll.  Thought Kelly did well when he came on.

Wigan have some good players, are physical, and gave us a scare.  A game at h-t, where you take the point, but disappointed after leading so late, and the way other results went (in the main). 

Not assured today under the high ball as Garner and co made sure every One was contested . Maybe we missed Webster when the pressure was on but LJ did the right thing . Should be able to see games out and maybe go for the killer third 

28 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

If max wasn’t from Bristol he wouldn’t be anywhere near our side. That being said at the moment he’s the best we have at the moment. 

Any chance of seeing Niki or frank again this season?

Silly comment. If both senior keepers were fit, he would probably be on loan elsewhere. Weirdly enough when you begin to prioritise the development of local youth players, this is what happens sometimes. We persevere with it as it is deeply rewarding in the long term.

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Based on today only.

Looks completely lost. Glued to his line. Ball under his body for when they hit the post. Glued for the goal.

Appreciate he has done ok previous, but based on this doesn't look good enough at all.

You are having a laugh. Judging him after one performance ?

We were not god enough in Midfield today. Pack have the ball away too many times that put pressure on the defence. JB was largely anonymous.

Looked like pinball to me at the end and it could have gone anywhere

Some if you are well harsh

Max didn't have a good game today, he should have gone for the first shot- it did appear to be going over but he should have tried to cover when it looked close.

Wasn't dominant when it came to crosses and definitely the worst I've seen him play.

But I've also seen him play quite well, so putting it down to an off day for a young goalkeeper. He will have hopefully learnt from that first goal.

Go to agree with most opinions. Amazing to be where we are with a young, inexperienced third choice keeper, but the defence and midfield should have protected him more. It’s almost like they backed off from shielding him as he’s played a couple of games now and they got a bit over confident in him.

Some of our players looked like they had just played two tough away games, because they had. Wigan looked fresher as they didn’t play in the week. Credit to Wigan they played to the end, we never killed them off even after the two quick goals. 

Max is very young in goalkeeper terms. He has alot to learn still and in a perfect world without the injuries to others would be on loan in league one/two learning that trade.

If people feel the need to blame someone for the result today, they shouldn't start with Max.

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Based on today only.

Looks completely lost. Glued to his line. Ball under his body for when they hit the post. Glued for the goal.

Appreciate he has done ok previous, but based on this doesn't look good enough at all.

He’s the best we got so have to get on with it. Unusual for both our top two keepers to get injured but it is what it is. 

6 minutes ago, Aranu said:

Max is very young in goalkeeper terms. He has alot to learn still and in a perfect world without the injuries to others would be on loan in league one/two learning that trade.

If people feel the need to blame someone for the result today, they shouldn't start with Max.

Solid game again JB backed off for the 1st and was poor in the hole today and the 2nd we got sucked in as a unit and didn't do the simple things and put it in row z..... still 7 from 9 is a good return just disappointing we conceded when we did. WBA is now huge b4 villa away.

I don’t think Max is good enough yet from what I’ve seen but he’s got my full support. We are where we are in terms of our keeper situation, it’s most unfortunate but the only thing we can do is get behind the young lad. I shan’t be criticising him and I’m a harsh critic.

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

I don’t think Max is good enough yet from what I’ve seen but he’s got my full support. We are where we are in terms of our keeper situation, it’s most unfortunate but the only thing we can do is get behind the young lad. I shan’t be criticising him and I’m a harsh critic.

Think that’s spot on.  He’s 3rd choice, gaining experience.  He’s done decently in the half a dozen games he’s played.

As a group of fans we need to stop looking for a worst player every game...there doesn’t have to be one.  It’s possible to be under-par without getting a slating.  It’s possible to be under-par for a reason, e.g. your direct opponent being better, or having a stormer.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Reece James leading on goal of the day

It appears no deflection  (?)

Think it sat up just as he hit it, and therefore it was a “quality mishit” that dipped and swerved.  In both games against City he has been one of the best players on the park.  His set pieces were right on the money too.

Youngster, little experience, not really ready, chucked into a team battling for a play off place, with a run of tough games, and playing twice a week. He’s done really well so far, considering all the above, and we should be fully behind whoever is in goal in our run in, as both are only there due to unfortunate circumstances. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think that’s spot on.  He’s 3rd choice, gaining experience.  He’s done decently in the half a dozen games he’s played.

As a group of fans we need to stop looking for a worst player every game...there doesn’t have to be one.  It’s possible to be under-par without getting a slating.  It’s possible to be under-par for a reason, e.g. your direct opponent being better, or having a stormer.

Agree totally, let the guy develop 

Archived