IGNORED

Max o'leary

Lez

4 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

Solid game again JB backed off for the 1st and was poor in the hole today and the 2nd we got sucked in as a unit and didn't do the simple things and put it in row z..... still 7 from 9 is a good return just disappointing we conceded when we did. WBA is now huge b4 villa away.

How did you spend the time you saved by typing b4 instead of ‘before’?! 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A wicked deflection left Max stranded. Not his fault.

Sat behind it in the south stand, didn’t think it took a deflection in real time. Just think it took max by surprise, also seemed to skew off his foot rather than a clean strike which added to the illusion that it took a deflection.

Ah how very fickle, only on Tuesday everybody was singing his praises and saying how well he played, which he did. 

Today wasn’t as good but there were a few who didn’t turn up today, which is bound to happen they’re only human after all.. First goal took a big deflection and was a decent hit regardless (none of the keepers at the club would have saved it), and the last goal he was not at fault for anyway. As others have said, we win 2-1 not a word is said, draw 2-2 in the last minute and because he’s the man between the sticks he’s the scapegoat. He’s young, and has a great potential, just like a number of players at the club. Get behind him and the lads on Tuesday and try get the important 3 points.

I personally would have taken 7 points from our last 3 games with both hands beforehand , so I’m still fairly optimistic. Hope we get to the playoffs with him as our number 1 and he proves any doubters wrong! ?

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A wicked deflection left Max stranded. Not his fault.

9 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Sat behind it in the south stand, didn’t think it took a deflection in real time. Just think it took max by surprise, also seemed to skew off his foot rather than a clean strike which added to the illusion that it took a deflection.

No deflection from where I was sitting right in line with it but I haven`t seen a replay yet. It dipped viciously but didn`t seem to swerve an awful lot and Max just seemed rooted. I imagine he saw it late as it came over the heads of a couple of defenders but, as others have said, James should never have been allowed to get his shot away in the first place.

18 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Max doesn’t dominate his area which is perhaps normal given his frame and age but other than that he is very good .

He is a work in progress and we should get right behind the lad as he develops .

A work in progress? He's lucky he playing championship level football. When he find's his level he'll be playing up on the downs!

16 hours ago, RedDave said:

Poor to not go for the first one. For me, he loses concentration quite a lot. Maybe it’s due to his inexperience. The player lined up a shot and he wasn’t ready so didn’t move for it. A quick step left and dive and he may well have got to it. 

He doesn’t inspire confidence in me sat in the stand so I can’t imagine how his teammates must feel?

13 hours ago, Daymon18 said:

Ah how very fickle, only on Tuesday everybody was singing his praises and saying how well he played, which he did. 

Today wasn’t as good but there were a few who didn’t turn up today, which is bound to happen they’re only human after all.. First goal took a big deflection and was a decent hit regardless (none of the keepers at the club would have saved it), and the last goal he was not at fault for anyway. As others have said, we win 2-1 not a word is said, draw 2-2 in the last minute and because he’s the man between the sticks he’s the scapegoat. He’s young, and has a great potential, just like a number of players at the club. Get behind him and the lads on Tuesday and try get the important 3 points.

I personally would have taken 7 points from our last 3 games with both hands beforehand , so I’m still fairly optimistic. Hope we get to the playoffs with him as our number 1 and he proves any doubters wrong! ?

Totally agree. Wonder if some saw the live commentary online (can’t remember which site) which said something along the lines of “...after a a poor clearance from O’Leary...” which wasn’t the case.  In the build up I think Clarke just jumped at the man.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

No deflection from where I was sitting right in line with it but I haven`t seen a replay yet. It dipped viciously but didn`t seem to swerve an awful lot and Max just seemed rooted. I imagine he saw it late as it came over the heads of a couple of defenders but, as others have said, James should never have been allowed to get his shot away in the first place.

No, said earlier i think If was a “brilliant mishit” as the ball sat up just as he struck it.  Might’ve wobbled as the ball went past the defender’s “slipstream”.

24 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

Weak at coming for crosses. Shot stopping in general is pretty good. His distribution though is quite excellent. 

Max's problem in coming for crosses, is basically that he still has the body of boy/young man and needs to fill out so he can come and knock everyone out of the way if need be. At the moment he's just not physically able to 'throw his weight around' in that manner.

In the press conference after the game, LJ exonerated Max from blame for the first goal and put the blame on Webster.

He said that Webster turned his back on the shot which you should never do as that creates deflections. LJ said "It has come off Webby's shoulder blade and given the ball top-spin". 

Looking back on it again, that seems exactly right. However it is much easier to get these things right when you can ask the players in the dressing room. 

On 06/04/2019 at 15:49, Lez said:

Appreciate he has done ok previous, but based on this doesn't look good enough at all.

Appreciate you will have written comments more positively than this previous, but based on this one of yours we could start a thread doubting multiple players after every single game ever.

It'd be nice if none of us could comment on players' ability until we have seen them in X number of games first, in order to form a rounded opinion (cue replies of Not on here, mate; this is a forum mate no chance...)

3 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Appreciate you will have written comments more positively than this previous, but based on this one of yours we could start a thread doubting multiple players after every single game ever.

It'd be nice if none of us could comment on players' ability until we have seen them in X number of games first, in order to form a rounded opinion (cue replies of Not on here, mate; this is a forum mate no chance...)

Think it is perfectly fine to comment on a player’s performance in a one off game...just don’t base you total view from one game.

10 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

It would be nice, but it just doesn’t happen on here ..... Kasey Palmer was ‘world class’ after less than a game for us and Marinovic was ‘useless’ after one game in which he wasn’t at fault for a goal ....

I paused the first goal and it was right in the top corner. A more experienced keeper might have looked better but they wouldn't have got there. The second Wigan goal should have been disallowed anyway because the only reason Leon Clarke got his shot away in the first place was that he elbowed Kallas in the face. Max O'Leary really needs to catch the ball more and stop with the weak punches though.

18 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Max's problem in coming for crosses, is basically that he still has the body of boy/young man and needs to fill out so he can come and knock everyone out of the way if need be. At the moment he's just not physically able to 'throw his weight around' in that manner.

What you are stating has little to do with filling out. Coming for crosses is far more about footwork, angle of approach, speed, starting position … If he has to knock individuals out of the way A Its a foul (?) B Its a technical and tactical deficiency. Communication could also be added. 

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

What you are stating has little to do with filling out. Coming for crosses is far more about footwork, angle of approach, speed, starting position … If he has to knock individuals out of the way A Its a foul (?) B Its a technical and tactical deficiency. Communication could also be added. 

Also, might be a conscious decision that Max will stay put and the CBs know they have to attack everything, unless they get a clear shout from him.

19 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Flapper Phillips was exactly the same but was his lack of judgment that was the problem and I’d add that to MoL learning list. 

Obviously the more he plays the more experienced be becomes and imv he’s got the  potential  to become a decent goalkeeper.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also, might be a conscious decision that Max will stay put and the CBs know they have to attack everything, unless they get a clear shout from him.

Instruction. Instruction from coaches maybe. That second goal. Have a look at who makes a shout to hold a line and then who drops. It was not the Keeper who should have been dealing with it and it was defenders who drop off rather than contest.  

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Instruction. Instruction from coaches maybe. That second goal. Hade a look at who makes a shout to hold a line and then who drops. It was not the Keeper who should have been dealing with it and it was defenders who drop  off rather than contest.  

Agreed

I think it's pretty obvious what the problem is.

He looks like because he's got no ******* experience!

He's in his formative years, and he needs to be playing first-team football in order to build that confidence and knowledge of how to command his area. As for the comments on whether he's good enough for a team in our position - I doubt it, because we've waited this long to put a young lad out in the first-team. He should have been playing last season, and he should've been out on loan to get that experience, with a recall option and a third-choice backup from our academy used until Max can return.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed

Do you think Frankie Fielding would have come for that ball? My answer is a no.

Maenpaa? Most likely no.

When you are that deep defenders have to deal with it. If defenders are high the Keeper should be controlling the space. Defensive D's Depth or deny space. I believe you were a CB. Its basics at the humble and upper level isn't it ? 

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Do you think Frankie Fielding would have come for that ball? My answer is a no.

Maenpaa? Most likely no.

When you are that deep defenders have to deal with it. If defenders are high the Keeper should be controlling the space. Defensive D's Depth or deny space. I believe you were a CB. Its basics at the humble and upper level isn't it ? 

Agreed (again).  All I could do was head it ?

On 06/04/2019 at 19:21, JonDolman said:

I think the one thing Max did that was clearly poor was the one that trickled past him and hit the post. 

For me Pack was mainly to blame for both goals. Poor in a 50/50 in midfield and his legs wouldn't get him back for first. And second goal the ball was there to be won and he was on his heels.

Spot on. We’re first row right behind the goal.

To blame Max for the goals last night is  ridiculous. Kept us in it - as we reminded Johnstone repeatedly ?

Why oh why do we have to have threads that spout this sort of blame shit so soon after beating a fellow promotion contender so convincingly?

Oh to be a moaning Bristolian - says one who is ?

18 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Made a couple of outstanding saves last night...but still frightens the life out of me when coming from crosses or corners.

nikki back soon hopefully.

Shot stopping he is very good but dealing with crosses last night he was all over the place every time. 

3 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Spot on. We’re first row right behind the goal.

To blame Max for the goals last night is  ridiculous. Kept us in it - as we reminded Johnstone repeatedly ?

Why oh why do we have to have threads that spout this sort of blame shit so soon after beating a fellow promotion contender so convincingly?

Oh to be a moaning Bristolian - says one who is ?

to be fair, this thread is from Saturday's game. 

Nobody can blame Max for either goal last night, in reality he got us the three points with some class stops

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Shot stopping he is very good but dealing with crosses last night he was all over the place every time. 

Totally agree - every time a ball was crossed into the box my heart was in my mouth.

Not blaming the lad as he is still learning his trade, it’s a shame that our foray into the free agents market last month does not appear to be to successful.

Archived