IGNORED

Who’s still in it?

Silvio Dante

Although it was noticeable on RB that Twentyman stayed he believed the dynamic re catching WBA had changed, realistically they’re in the playoffs. Add in one of the top three and there’s a fight for 5th and 6th.

And this is where after that gut punch today I look at the table and perk up.

Most teams have now played 40. 6 to go. And a slug of teams are 5 points off the playoffs. So they need to get 5 more points than us with one less game to catch us - even if you go relatively negative, and say we get a point a game, they need 4 wins from 6. It’s more likely we’ll get 9-10 points, so they need realistically to get 5 wins from 6. Not undoable, but unlikely.

So, despite us being disappointed today in view of other results was it the day that it became 2 from Us, Villa, FLDC and Boro (notwithstanding form, they’re in striking range)?

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Gut feel, it’s us or Derby for one place.

I think you’re right and they have to come to AG - the result of that game could determine which of us makes it.

Tbf - I’m really enjoying the excitement of pushing for a pray off spot. Just what I hoped for at the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Gut feel, it’s us or Derby for one place.

Yep I agree 2 for 1 place...both us and derby have tricky games on Tuesday...the game on the 27th looks big already

villa hitting form at the right time so top 5 I believe will stay as is including Sheffield pipping Leeds to 2nd.

28 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I think Villa are in and so it’s us or Derby for the other spot.

If Boro or Forest suddenly regain form then that could easily change, but I can’t see them doing it.

Villa may well get 5th but certainly nowhere near a done deal.

Anyone down to Sheffield Wednesday in 12th is still in with a shout, which just goes to show how close and competitive it is.  Villa do look in a good position to secure that 5th spot though, so with 7 teams going for that last place there's gonna be plenty more ups and downs to come yet.  It's exciting to be in the mix and the game in hand could be a massive help.

18 minutes ago, Roe said:

Anyone down to Sheffield Wednesday in 12th is still in with a shout, which just goes to show how close and competitive it is.  Villa do look in a good position to secure that 5th spot though, so with 7 teams going for that last place there's gonna be plenty more ups and downs to come yet.  It's exciting to be in the mix and the game in hand could be a massive help.

Only a massive help if we win it and it is against West Brom...you are right though anyone of those teams could go on a run to bump us out

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Only a massive help if we win it and it is against West Brom...you are right though anyone of those teams could go on a run to bump us out

Millwall is our game in hand isn't it?  Midweek is a full schedule so we'll still have the game in hand come Thursday. In fact we will still have a game in hand on Derby when we play them.

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Millwall is our game in hand isn't it?  Midweek is a full schedule so we'll still have the game in hand come Thursday. In fact we will still have a game in hand on Derby when we play them.

I don't think we have a game in hand on Derby.

They play Swansea away same week that we go to Millwall.

Derby always seem to be involved in the playoffs, so have the experience. In our favour is that they seem to fail every time, so will nerves get to them? As for us,  we have relatively little playoff experience, so maybe skim under the radar on a wing and a prayer and snatch the final place.

Personally I think we will just miss out, my head says so but my heart is still excited.

16 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

I know Villa have had a decent run but just saw their highlights and Wednesday could have been out of sight by HT.They are up there but still have that dodgy game in them.

I think the problem is that other than us, their next two games are Rotherham and Bolton. You’d have to expect six points from those two and that should be enough, even if they don’t beat us, to put them in a very strong position with three to go

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the problem is that other than us, their next two games are Rotherham and Bolton. You’d have to expect six points from those two and that should be enough, even if they don’t beat us, to put them in a very strong position with three to go

As we found out today, teams with a relegation threat hanging over them are some of the most dangerous at this stage of the season.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agreed but the last two are Leeds and Norwich so the pressure is on them as well to win the so called 'easy' games.Going to be a roller coaster right till the end.

We need at least 11 points from 7 to make it.

W2 D5 L0 or W3 D2 L2

Im hoping for 12 but it’s going to be a tough ask with so many games in a short space of time.

That late goal today may have knocked it out of us but I’m glad to be in contention, even if it hurts by not making it in the end.

I feel today was a big blow mentally. We're still in it and fighting but had we held on or Wright made it 3-1 as perhaps he should when everything was with one- 2nd comeback win in a great week would have really bolstered confidence!

Especially with those other results going our way. Usually an optimist and always thought Wigan would be tricky but 2 points dropped. I predicted 2-1 us...almost. :( :no:

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think you’re right and they have to come to AG - the result of that game could determine which of us makes it.

Tbf - I’m really enjoying the excitement of pushing for a pray off spot. Just what I hoped for at the start of the season.

Sincere apologies Robbored....but your longstanding determination to refer to the play offs in this way still makes me cringe....I know it’s trivial and the ultimate first world problem.....but it just winds me up, and I don’t know why! Help!

Pass me my revolver Nurse, I’m going for a walk in the woods ......

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Remind me how Rotherham got on v play off hopefuls Forest .

It is in our hands, we just need to keep doing better than the chasing pack.

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Although it was noticeable on RB that Twentyman stayed he believed the dynamic re catching WBA had changed, realistically they’re in the playoffs. Add in one of the top three and there’s a fight for 5th and 6th.

And this is where after that gut punch today I look at the table and perk up.

Most teams have now played 40. 6 to go. And a slug of teams are 5 points off the playoffs. So they need to get 5 more points than us with one less game to catch us - even if you go relatively negative, and say we get a point a game, they need 4 wins from 6. It’s more likely we’ll get 9-10 points, so they need realistically to get 5 wins from 6. Not undoable, but unlikely.

So, despite us being disappointed today in view of other results was it the day that it became 2 from Us, Villa, FLDC and Boro (notwithstanding form, they’re in striking range)?

Have you forgotten that we only recently went 5 games without a win gaining just 2 pts?  

We are totally unpredictable under LJ, could easily lose the next 2 games and be out of the top six, or win them and have cemented our place. 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sincere apologies Robbored....but your longstanding determination to refer to the play offs in this way still makes me cringe....I know it’s trivial and the ultimate first world problem.....but it just winds me up, and I don’t know why! Help!

Pass me my revolver Nurse, I’m going for a walk in the woods ......

I kept thinking it was a typo. Are you saying it’s a deliberate thing like saying Baaaaaadiff (it’s funny cause it counts like a sheep yawn)

Archived