IGNORED

WBA next

Jerseybean

WBA seem to be in meltdown after the game at Millwall:

May as well start the team write up now

Johnstone - 2/10: Embarrassing schoolboy error gifted Millwall the lead
Holgate - 3/10: Poor crossing, basic passing gone astray, weak and disinterested
Hegazi - 2/10: Sleep walked, own goal and red card for kicking ball away twice, disgrace
Adarabioyo - 3/10: Unreliable, weak
Townsend - 5/10: Tried his best, limited championship player
Livermore - 3/10: Didn't notice he was on the pitch, fat pudding offered nothing
Brunt - 3/10: Walking pace football and passing sideways with the defence. Woeful.
Johansen - 6/10: Best midfielder, good shot first half and clever pass for penalty
Kanu - 4/10: Fell over a lot, played out of position, poor throughout
Rodriquez - 2/10: Did nothing over than miss a penalty won by Gayle
Gayle - 5/10: Clever movement to win penalty, starved of ball
Murphy - 2/10: Switched play by kicking the ball into the stand
Manager - 2/10: Clueless selection and formation, worst of Big Dave, slow playing it out from 
the back with team full of OAPs in the midfield.

Tactics: Not sure we've had any although when in possession we do enjoy passing the ball as slow as possible sideways as much as possible, particularly between Brunt and the defence. Terrrible.

Looking forward to this game.  Dropping points today was a big kick in the nuts but Derby’s draw limited the damage.  We are in an amazing position, with only 7 games to play.  I’m proud that despite losing 2 keepers, with little options in midfield and upfront and a few nightmare winless runs we are on the verge of making the playoffs.  It’s now up to the players, us fans and management to pick our chins up, dust ourselves down and bring it home.  Let’s do this

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Has all the makings of a quality game, should be a cracker with goals to saviour and some sublime moments of skill.

0-0 draw it is then.

You've been a City fan for a while haven't you :yes:

20 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

WBA seem to be in meltdown after the game at Millwall:

May as well start the team write up now

Johnstone - 2/10: Embarrassing schoolboy error gifted Millwall the lead
Holgate - 3/10: Poor crossing, basic passing gone astray, weak and disinterested
Hegazi - 2/10: Sleep walked, own goal and red card for kicking ball away twice, disgrace
Adarabioyo - 3/10: Unreliable, weak
Townsend - 5/10: Tried his best, limited championship player
Livermore - 3/10: Didn't notice he was on the pitch, fat pudding offered nothing
Brunt - 3/10: Walking pace football and passing sideways with the defence. Woeful.
Johansen - 6/10: Best midfielder, good shot first half and clever pass for penalty
Kanu - 4/10: Fell over a lot, played out of position, poor throughout
Rodriquez - 2/10: Did nothing over than miss a penalty won by Gayle
Gayle - 5/10: Clever movement to win penalty, starved of ball
Murphy - 2/10: Switched play by kicking the ball into the stand
Manager - 2/10: Clueless selection and formation, worst of Big Dave, slow playing it out from 
the back with team full of OAPs in the midfield.

Tactics: Not sure we've had any although when in possession we do enjoy passing the ball as slow as possible sideways as much as possible, particularly between Brunt and the defence. Terrrible.

That’s funny. I wonder if anyone is sorry they sacked their manager?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

WBA have a couple of key defenders injured or suspended.  They have a potent strike force though.

All the makings of a great game under the lights, but we really need 3 points with Villa and Derby coming up and having dropped 2 against Wigan.

Any chance of Korey or Andi making it?

Didn’t Wigan have an injury crisis ?

:shocking:

11 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Has all the makings of a quality game, should be a cracker with goals to saviour and some sublime moments of skill.

0-0 draw it is then.

If this finishes 0-0, I will eat my own spleen in Burton's window.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

WBA have a couple of key defenders injured or suspended.  They have a potent strike force though.

All the makings of a great game under the lights, but we really need 3 points with Villa and Derby coming up and having dropped 2 against Wigan.

Any chance of Korey or Andi making it?

It sounded from what LJ said after the game that Korey could play Tuesday and that Weimann will be back this season. 

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

That’s funny. I wonder if anyone is sorry they sacked their manager?

Not as sorry as the Ipswich fans secretly are right now ..... they wanted Mick out, even though he kept them in the championship for six seasons with bugger all to spend ..... they were triumphant when they got rid of him and now they will be plying their trade in division 3 next season .... Mick has an amazing CV, they just couldn’t see it ..... and nor can loads on here ....

A first for me tomorrow will be watching City from Barbados, having looked at the options I’m going for Speightstown, which is known as Little Bristol. However, given the colour of their  furniture I’m giving The Little Bristol Beach Bar a miss. 

B6BC35E1-9A05-4315-8880-3E4928C87EC1.jpeg

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not as sorry as the Ipswich fans secretly are right now ..... they wanted Mick out, even though he kept them in the championship for six seasons with bugger all to spend ..... they were triumphant when they got rid of him and now they will be plying their trade in division 3 next season .... Mick has an amazing CV, they just couldn’t see it ..... and nor can loads on here ....

2 promotions in 21 years of club management, with Sunderland being in a very good position to go up after he didn't keep them up in the prem. 

Hardly amazing imo

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

2 promotions in 21 years of club management, with Sunderland being in a very good position to go up after he didn't keep them up in the prem. 

Hardly amazing imo

A post typical of someone who knows nothing about football....consider this brief summary of Mick McCarthy’s record:

At Millwall (his first managerial position) he took them to the championship play offs in his first season.

As Republic of Ireland manager he took them to the 2002 World Cup where they were the 5th best performing European team.

You say he failed to keep Sunderland up? He joined them in the middle of March 2003 - hardly his fault then? In his first full season as Sunderland manager he took them into the championship play offs.

In his second season as Sunderland manager he took them up into the premier league as champions of the championship.

When he joined Wolves as manager they were in financial turmoil and they had to sell all their best players. He cobbled together a squad made up of free transfers and youngsters - and took them into the championship play offs in his first season as manager.

In his second season as Wolves manager he finished 7th in the championship and in his third season at Moulineux he took Wolves into the premier league as champions of the championship, and kept them up in the premier league for three seasons.

As Ipswich manager he had less than £6m to spend on transfer fees over the entire duration of his stint there - less than £1m per year, yet he kept them competitive in the division.

A fine CV and a fine manager...

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

A first for me tomorrow will be watching City from Barbados, having looked at the options I’m going for Speightstown, which is known as Little Bristol. However, given the colour of their  furniture I’m giving The Little Bristol Beach Bar a miss. 

This place in Glasgow is always welcoming to City fans - although @Miah Dennehy wouldn’t approve!

111EEF7B-CFBA-4B67-8FF2-2E6BC018B14A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Great place Speightstown, 

Visit the museum for sure, lots of Bristol links. Locals love when you say you’re from Bristol, 

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A post typical of someone who knows nothing about football....consider this brief summary of Mick McCarthy’s record:

At Millwall (his first managerial position) he took them to the championship play offs in his first season.

As Republic of Ireland manager he took them to the 2002 World Cup where they were the 5th best performing European team.

You say he failed to keep Sunderland up? He joined them in the middle of March 2003 - hardly his fault then? In his first full season as Sunderland manager he took them into the championship play offs.

In his second season as Sunderland manager he took them up into the premier league as champions of the championship.

When he joined Wolves as manager they were in financial turmoil and they had to sell all their best players. He cobbled together a squad made up of free transfers and youngsters - and took them into the championship play offs in his first season as manager.

In his second season as Wolves manager he finished 7th in the championship and in his third season at Moulineux he took Wolves into the premier league as champions of the championship, and kept them up in the premier league for three seasons.

As Ipswich manager he had less than £6m to spend on transfer fees over the entire duration of his stint there - less than £1m per year, yet he kept them competitive in the division.

A fine CV and a fine manager...

No need for the antagonising first post really is there? 

Millwall finished 5th the season before Mccarthy got there. Yes getting them in the play offs was a good achievement but this was a side who had been in the 1st division a few years before, it was hardly an amazing achievement to get them there. 

Then his last two seasons there saw them slip to 12th and then 22nd, again hardly amazing is it? 

He had an Ireland squad that included the likes of Duff, Given, Finnan, Robbie Keane and Lee Carsley, all season premier league players. Add in Roy Keane who helped get them there and it was hardly as if he had a squad with nobodies. Yes he did well to get them there, but European national football (bar France and maybe England) was in a bit of a state at that tournament, so 5th best European team was again not the greatest achievement for an 'amazing manager' 

Then he got a very strong Sunderland side up in his second full season, having lost his first 11 league games with them, I'm certain LJ got lambasted for something similar on here... 

Getting them promoted was a good achievement, as it is for any side to go up from the championship and yet when he took them up he won a paltry 2 from 24 games before he was sacked, Sunderland went on to finish bottom. 

In his first season with wolves he spent just over £1.5 million, a decent sum at championship level back then (higher than our record signing was at that stage) and brought in the likes of Karl Henry, Charlie Mulgrew, Michael McIndoe, Michael Kightly, David Wheater, Stephen Ward and Andy keogh. Hardly a load of unknowns? He also used 34 players during one season, that's a lot of players on your wage bill, so he was hardly working on a pittance... 

The next season he spent over 4 million, so again hardly a pittance. 

The next he spent 8 million, that's over 13 million in 3 seasons ten years ago that's hardly working on a shoestring budget. Yes he did well to get them up, but he wasn't doing it without some decent financial backing for that time period. 

He then proceeded to keep them up for the next two seasons which was a fantastic achievement due to the jump between the two leagues, spending a paltry 26.2 million in doing so before they went down the season after, after he'd spent another 12 million. Taking his total expenditure to past the 50 million mark in his time there, which at that point in football wasn't as small a sum as it seems to be today. Despite that though, he did a good job in keeping them in the very competitive Premier league over the two seasons. 

He then moved on to Ipswich, where on a very small budget he did excellently well to keep them competitive. However, the fans obviously wanted him gone. I rarely watch Ipswich (bar when they come to AG) but I'd imagine there must have been a reason behind that, don't you? 

Overall, I think he's a good manager, nothing awesome or special but a solid championship manager with a decent record. Would I take him over LJ? No chance. 

Now, as I obviously know nothing about football, especially when compared to your highness, the font of all footballing knowledge, I'll leave you in peace... 

19 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No need for the antagonising first post really is there? 

Millwall finished 5th the season before Mccarthy got there. Yes getting them in the play offs was a good achievement but this was a side who had been in the 1st division a few years before, it was hardly an amazing achievement to get them there. 

Then his last two seasons there saw them slip to 12th and then 22nd, again hardly amazing is it? 

He had an Ireland squad that included the likes of Duff, Given, Finnan, Robbie Keane and Lee Carsley, all season premier league players. Add in Roy Keane who helped get them there and it was hardly as if he had a squad with nobodies. Yes he did well to get them there, but European national football (bar France and maybe England) was in a bit of a state at that tournament, so 5th best European team was again not the greatest achievement for an 'amazing manager' 

Then he got a very strong Sunderland side up in his second full season, having lost his first 11 league games with them, I'm certain LJ got lambasted for something similar on here... 

Getting them promoted was a good achievement, as it is for any side to go up from the championship and yet when he took them up he won a paltry 2 from 24 games before he was sacked, Sunderland went on to finish bottom. 

In his first season with wolves he spent just over £1.5 million, a decent sum at championship level back then (higher than our record signing was at that stage) and brought in the likes of Karl Henry, Charlie Mulgrew, Michael McIndoe, Michael Kightly, David Wheater, Stephen Ward and Andy keogh. Hardly a load of unknowns? He also used 34 players during one season, that's a lot of players on your wage bill, so he was hardly working on a pittance... 

The next season he spent over 4 million, so again hardly a pittance. 

The next he spent 8 million, that's over 13 million in 3 seasons ten years ago that's hardly working on a shoestring budget. Yes he did well to get them up, but he wasn't doing it without some decent financial backing for that time period. 

He then proceeded to keep them up for the next two seasons which was a fantastic achievement due to the jump between the two leagues, spending a paltry 26.2 million in doing so before they went down the season after, after he'd spent another 12 million. Taking his total expenditure to past the 50 million mark in his time there, which at that point in football wasn't as small a sum as it seems to be today. Despite that though, he did a good job in keeping them in the very competitive Premier league over the two seasons. 

He then moved on to Ipswich, where on a very small budget he did excellently well to keep them competitive. However, the fans obviously wanted him gone. I rarely watch Ipswich (bar when they come to AG) but I'd imagine there must have been a reason behind that, don't you? 

Overall, I think he's a good manager, nothing awesome or special but a solid championship manager with a decent record. Would I take him over LJ? No chance. 

Now, as I obviously know nothing about football, especially when compared to your highness, the font of all footballing knowledge, I'll leave you in peace... 

Ah, so now you post a detailed analysis of MM’s career, when criticised, after initially dismissing his whole career in a few words when you posted ‘2 promotions in 21 years of club management...’ - funny that - fine CV, fine manager ..... great record ..... what he did at Wolves was admirable considering the financial situation they found themselves in when he joined them...oh well, we ain’t gonna agree on this ... but that’s what a forum is for, debate....

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ah, so now you post a detailed analysis of MM’s career, when criticised, after initially dismissing his whole career in a few words when you posted ‘2 promotions in 21 years of club management...’ - funny that - fine CV, fine manager ..... great record ..... what he did at Wolves was admirable considering the financial situation they found themselves in when he joined them...oh well, we ain’t gonna agree on this ... but that’s what a forum is for, debate....

I didn't realise you could dismiss a career through posting a fact. 

Their financial situation is nothing like why you've claimed it to be... 

And 2 promotions in 21 years, both with clubs who he spent a fair bit of money with in order to get them there. Isn't a fine CV in my opinion, its decent but it's not in the same bracket as many other English bosses. 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I didn't realise you could dismiss a career through posting a fact. 

Their financial situation is nothing like why you've claimed it to be... 

And 2 promotions in 21 years, both with clubs who he spent a fair bit of money with in order to get them there. Isn't a fine CV in my opinion, its decent but it's not in the same bracket as many other English bosses. 

Wolves were in a right state when he joined them.....he had to largely deal in free transfers and youngsters...and you listed great players he had to choose from when dismissing his achievement as Republic of Ireland manager, so, should managers of Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal etc have their records admonished because they had ‘good players from which to choose’?! 

Mick McCarthy - took club sides to loads of play-offs, took two teams up into the premier league as CHAMPIONS of the championship, took his country to a World Cup Finals tournament....yet you dismiss him as a manager....you’ve probably done this because it’s me who has supported him with my posts...you tend to ‘like’ any post that criticises me and you generally disagree with everything I post....it’s quite funny really...still, WBA tomorrow - you going? Or just pontificating on here as usual without actually going to games....

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wolves were in a right state when he joined them.....he had to largely deal in free transfers and youngsters...and you listed great players he had to choose from when dismissing his achievement as Republic of Ireland manager, so, should managers of Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal etc have their records admonished because they had ‘good players from which to choose’?! 

Mick McCarthy - took club sides to loads of play-offs, took two teams up into the premier league as CHAMPIONS of the championship, took his country to a World Cup Finals tournament....yet you dismiss him as a manager....you’ve probably done this because it’s me who has supported him with my posts...you tend to ‘like’ any post that criticises me and you generally disagree with everything I post....it’s quite funny really...still, WBA tomorrow - you going? Or just pontificating on here as usual without actually going to games....

He did deal largely in free transfers (bar the 6 players he spent fees for in his first season) yet these free transfers were all from clubs in the premier league or championship, so hardly cheap nobody's. 

When did I dismiss his achievement, or admonish it? I even said he did well to get Ireland there, however he had players at his disposal who were good enough to get to the 2nd round. Especially when you consider they were up against Cameroon and Saudi Arabia to get put of their group, hardly giants of international football... 

Again, I've never dismissed him as a manager, if you read my post properly you'll see that. 

And there's no need for the antagonising last couple of sentences, there really isn't. Yes I will be going tomorrow, to take me over 30  league games for the season. Not too bad for someone who never goes is that!? 

9 hours ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Great place Speightstown, 

Visit the museum for sure, lots of Bristol links. Locals love when you say you’re from Bristol, 

The funny thing about coming from Bristol is that anywhere you go in the world people ask the same question ;

» City or Rovers ? « 

I remember a six week trail up the Amazon where we had contact with a tribe who had never met Europeans before .

We tentatively placed gifts before the chief as we explained that we came from far away on a plane and that my «  village «  was Bristol and in pidgin English this man’s first words to a white person were ;

«  City or Rovers ? «  

True story .

Archived