IGNORED

Wigan Player racially abused

TonyTonyTony

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be fair havent the United Nations and Police stats confirmed that racism and xenophobia has increased since the referendum? A sort of validation complex or summat?

There have always been idiots at football though, which is why my black mates dont come and watch City with me ?

Yes. Being as white as it gets, I never really realised how big the issue was at Football until I took my mates son to a game once. I was sat outside the ground when a Black QPR fan approached and engaged the pair of us in conversation. 

16 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

It's not a recent thing or the fault of Brexit...you're absolutely right. I do feel that people of a certain mentality have felt emboldened since the Brexit vote though.... as if Brexit legitimised their views. I have never quite got over the sight of a 6 foot plus skin screaming at an elderly woman from the Indian sub continent that she "ought to **** off home, cos that was what Brexit was all about". 

Spot on - and people like Bojo the clown referring to hijabs as letterboxes. How pointlessly antagonistic and unnecessary, unless you are trying to attract attention from the sort of person who somehow think's it a threat, rather than just a religious choice.

see also Trump, although the extreme right wing there didn't need much help.

4 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Spot on - and people like Bojo the clown referring to hijabs as letterboxes. How pointlessly antagonistic and unnecessary, unless you are trying to attract attention from the sort of person who somehow think's it a threat, rather than just a religious choice.

see also Trump, although the extreme right wing there didn't need much help.

I am 56 years of age, and have (in my lifetime) have never known such open abuse,,,,however coming from an Irish Catholic background I should know better

53 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Danny rose saying he cant wait to see the back of football..... if that's the case why doesn't he just retire. That's what David Bentley did when he couldn't stand it anymore

Because he needs the money for those nights out in London.

22 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

If I was a millionaire and I didn't like aspects of my job and could afford to retire, then I would do with immediate effect. Like Bentley did.

All that name calling would be water off a ducks back to me. 

So are you saying he should just say to hell with a job he loves and quit because of the racists,not sure what him being minted has to do with the matter also

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be fair havent the United Nations and Police stats confirmed that racism and xenophobia has increased since the referendum? A sort of validation complex or summat?

There have always been idiots at football though, which is why my black mates dont come and watch City with me ?

Indeed. Of course Brexit did not create racism but there is no shortage of evidence that shows xenophobic and racist hate crimes have increased since the Referendum. Which obviously does not mean that all or most people who supported Brexit are racist or that it is in anyway the fault or responsibility of people who voted for Brexit but does suggest that racist far right idiots feel empowered by the result and misguidedly think the fact the country voted for Brexit means people support or condone their repugnant views.

5 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Why come out and say that you cant wait to see the back of football. He could have phrased it differently. 

Why should he? It’s not his fault and he should not have to tolerate other people’s disgusting behaviour. If the amount of racist abuse he and other players get makes him so unhappy he is looking forward to retiring then he has every right to say so. And I hope people will concentrate their efforts on dealing with the idiots who make black players feel like that, not policing or correcting the language of black players for how they express their objections to being racially abused. 

I just read that article on the Beeb website and immediately thought 'Oh no, please don't be from a City fan' and expected the worst. If its not, on a personal level I'm happy as I dont want that kind of shit associated with our club, but there is absolutely no need for that at any time or in any walk of life.

Lack of education and scaremongering by a number of tabloids (yes Daily Mail, I'm looking at you) have perpetuated the myth that immigration is a bad thing, when in all actuality it has been an overwhelming positive for the UK for years. Funnily enough, Trump built his presidential campaign on the same principal. That honestly scares the shit out of me.

You had the likes of Farage bleating on about the strain immigrants are putting on our social budget and hospitals etc. The facts of the matter are pensions take up approximately 80% of our social budget every year. Does that mean we should persecute all people of a pension age?

For me, the referendum was a chance for the far right to pander to the inadequacies of the ill educated to further their agenda and unfortunately that seems to have worked. Fear is a more powerful motivator than poltical policy. 

Personally, I can see the negatives and positives of Brexit, but the question remains whether the short-term pain is worth the potential of long-term gains. It also seems to me that nobody has factored in the costs to the immigrants who have come over and tried their best to integrate and who work their nuts off. Ironically, the people that moan about immigrants not blending in are the same people that go on holiday abroad and immediately look for an English/Irish bar.

Anyway, its sad that we're debating this shit when we should be celebrating the fact the club we love is having one of our best seasons for over 30 years.

1 hour ago, When the river runs said:

If I was a millionaire and I didn't like aspects of my job and could afford to retire, then I would do with immediate effect. Like Bentley did.

So because he earns a load of money he should accept being racially abused to continue doing his job?

Don't legitimise it mate ffs.

53 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Yes. Being as white as it gets, I never really realised how big the issue was at Football until I took my mates son to a game once. I was sat outside the ground when a Black QPR fan approached and engaged the pair of us in conversation. 

Is it just me, or does it seem that you haven’t finished this anecdote?!

Racism is unfortunately everywhere and has been for a very long time - remember bristol omnibus?

today it’s about time it’s regarded as unacceptable, we all have to pitch in to stamp it out, one way to help is to show some restraint around young people, telling jokes using race still happens, funny perhaps but it still builds stereotypes which influence young people and their opinions

1 hour ago, When the river runs said:

Ummm... you do realise racism is a tad more offensive than “name calling”, don’t you? 

With the greatest respect, as I have no idea who you are or what you stand for, but that’s a bit of an ignorant comment. 

I get that Brexit isn’t for everyone and it’s getting the blame for a lot of things but blaming it for tossers being racist at Football stadiums? :facepalm: 

All those pointing out that racism has increased since the referendum, yes you may well be correct but so has knife crime, Brexit’s fault I take it?

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Ummm... you do realise racism is a tad more offensive than “name calling”, don’t you? 

With the greatest respect, as I have no idea who you are or what you stand for, but that’s a bit of an ignorant comment. 

What about when any Welsh teams or players play at Ashton gate and they are abused is that not the same thing.

It is for me but I'm probably in the minority 

Brexit has caused a surge in hate crime/racist attacks, this is fact;

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/16/hate-crime-brexit-terrorist-attacks-england-wales

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime-eu-citizens-xenophobia-racism-police-bracing-march-2019-article-50-a8590921.html?amp

https://www.thedetail.tv/articles/race-hate-crime

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/brexit-police-braced-spike-hate-15666245.amp

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.lse.ac.uk/economics/Assets/Documents/job-market-candidates-2018-2019/JobMarketPaper-ClaudioSchilter.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi7hKeMp7zhAhVGQxUIHdQbB0oQFjAFegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3NYQieQDZSMlcFUDg0rSs3

These are just some of the first hits from Google. There are thousands more. Whatever way you voted this has to be acknowledged (even if it was to distance yourself from it and help stamp it out) and is not even really up for debate. 

Wouldn't normally post on something like this but to deny it is like saying the moon is made of spanners and milkshake. 

Archived