IGNORED

Wigan Player racially abused

TonyTonyTony

43 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

I dont need educating and I've been racially abused in this country on more than one occasion and I'm talking skin colour now  Although apparently that's not possible because I'm the majority.

Racism isn't a one way street

But I'm ok as I just think the person abusing me was an idiot, so like I said water off a ducks back.

I've heard of slavery and it was abhorrent however I wasnt alive and it's got nothing to do with me. Maybe my ancestors weren't treated well but I'm not gonna sit here getting fired up over something that doesn't affect me today. 

Sorry fella, but that's bullshit. Every British person has indirectly benefited from slavery, Bristolians more than most. I'm not suggesting you need to feel some kind of personal responsibility or say "sorry" to every BAME person you meet, but at the same time you need to recognise that someone calling you a name referring to your skin colour is culturally very different to the abuse that Nathan Byrne got on Twitter, or the monkey noises aimed at Rose and Hudson-Odoi the other week

Mods I have to point out that all these comments that suggest that racism influenced those who voted for self-determination for our nation in the eu referendum three years ago, are in fact displaying racism themselves as the original declaration of human rights decreed that people could not be discriminated against due to race, religion, or political disposition – the last only being removed on stalin’s insistence due to the millions of his own people that he killed or placed in camps due to there political beliefs. So all these posters who are claiming that brexit voters are linked to racism are in fact being racist. Racism has no place here on these forums, surely. And I feel ashamed that fellow city fans agree with stalin, who killed 60 million people, by discriminating against people with different politicial views, especially with the naive and ignorant claim that people who have these differing political views in the recent referendum are discriminating against others in the form of racism.

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

Due to the knowledge you have, I’m assuming you had to confirm what you were when you voted, or was your comment just a generalised sweeping statement?

It wasn’t really a sweeping statement. Which of my comments do you disagree with?

I said the vast majority of Leavers are not racist. Do you disagree?

I also said that the vast majority of racists will have voted Leave. Do you disagree?

11 hours ago, dave36 said:

Sky on Quest just “mentioned” the player being racially abused at the Gate on social media, but made no mention of who or where it came from, made us look bad!

There are some very misleading headlines about the incident today. In fact, not even misleading, just ******* lazy and an awful lot of people- annoyingly- just read a headline.

9 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Mods I have to point out that all these comments that suggest that racism influenced those who voted for self-determination for our nation in the eu referendum three years ago, are in fact displaying racism themselves as the original declaration of human rights decreed that people could not be discriminated against due to race, religion, or political disposition – the last only being removed on stalin’s insistence due to the millions of his own people that he killed or placed in camps due to there political beliefs. So all these posters who are claiming that brexit voters are linked to racism are in fact being racist. Racism has no place here on these forums, surely. And I feel ashamed that fellow city fans agree with stalin, who killed 60 million people, by discriminating against people with different politicial views, especially with the naive and ignorant claim that people who have these differing political views in the recent referendum are discriminating against others in the form of racism.

That's some leap of argument there!!

26 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It wasn’t really a sweeping statement. Which of my comments do you disagree with?

I said the vast majority of Leavers are not racist. Do you disagree?

I also said that the vast majority of racists will have voted Leave. Do you disagree?

I don’t agree or disagree with either of them, it’s the fact that both statements are unsubstantiated and just your opinion.

11 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Brexit has caused a surge in hate crime/racist attacks, this is fact;

Fact:

Brexit hasn't happened;

The selective articles you chose to support your hypothesis are mostly based on a baseline for the reporting period 2013/14, before the tedious Brexit discussions began but more apposite, the period during which the Home Office and MoJ changed the reporting criteria for such offences;

Included in the above is the cop-out caveat that reporting bodies don't actually have to report ascertained incidents or offences but may also include (and for certain sections of the populous exclude,) perception of offence.

I'll get my coat.....

35 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Wow. I've seen some arguments for Leave but this has to be the best. Comparing Remainers with Stalin. Bravo Sir, bravo. 

14 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Brexit. Racist episodes have blown up since then

Yup, there's no getting away from it, that and a hostile media, a tory government that has been grossly irresponsible with it's electioneering rhetoric,Trump, all those conspiracy sites that drill phrases like "cultural Marxist", populist politics. They all feed each other. It's truly depressing but it's true. 

31 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Fact:

Brexit hasn't happened;

The selective articles you chose to support your hypothesis are mostly based on a baseline for the reporting period 2013/14, before the tedious Brexit discussions began but more apposite, the period during which the Home Office and MoJ changed the reporting criteria for such offences;

Included in the above is the cop-out caveat that reporting bodies don't actually have to report ascertained incidents or offences but may also include (and for certain sections of the populous exclude,) perception of offence.

I'll get my coat.....

The number of recorded hate crimes has more than doubled in the past five years and is likely to be related in part to the aftermath of the Brexit vote and the spate of terrorist attacks last year, according to the Home Office

In the very first line of that guardian article it indicates an opinion. Likely.. 

It is a fact that the way the reporting of hate crimes has been conducted has altered. The number of hate crimes reported against the disabled increased, the number of reported incidents involving sexual orientation increased. Crimes rates in these instances have supposedly more than doubled. Brexit? No. 

Coat on and joining you.

26 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wow. I've seen some arguments for Leave but this has to be the best. Comparing Remainers with Stalin. Bravo Sir, bravo. 

54 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

That's some leap of argument there!!

Really, so you feel it is ok to infer that those who voted for the right of this country to return to a parliamentary democracy, a system where the people elect temporary representatives whose views they feel represent their own – mp’s - to represent them in a forum where all the “common people” are likewise represented by representatives they voted for - the house of commons – giving the voters the power to make their own laws that are the highest power in the land, rather than allowing these laws to be overridden by another power outside the realm of the voters – i.e. the e.u., are racist? How is that not discriminatory? How is that different than inferring that people who voted “insert political party or political choice” are rapists? People who vote “insert political party or political choice” are paedophiles? Perhaps people who vote “insert political party or political choice” are guilty of domestic violence? No one would dream of such a statement, so how is it acceptable to say that people who voted for sovereignty are racist?

13 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Really, so you feel it is ok to infer that those who voted for the right of this country to return to a parliamentary democracy, a system where the people elect temporary representatives whose views they feel represent their own – mp’s - to represent them in a forum where all the “common people” are likewise represented by representatives they voted for - the house of commons – giving the voters the power to make their own laws that are the highest power in the land, rather than allowing these laws to be overridden by another power outside the realm of the voters – i.e. the e.u., are racist? How is that not discriminatory? How is that different than inferring that people who voted “insert political party or political choice” are rapists? People who vote “insert political party or political choice” are paedophiles? Perhaps people who vote “insert political party or political choice” are guilty of domestic violence? No one would dream of such a statement, so how is it acceptable to say that people who voted for sovereignty are racist?

I have a feeling you’re going to be disappointed with what’s coming.  We have a say now, we will be rule takers in future, that’s all that’s on the table.

16 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

You’re tying yourself up in knots here.  Wouldn’t know where to begin with this complete and utter rubbish you are spouting. But as has been said this belongs on the political forum not on the football chat. 

2 hours ago, When the river runs said:

I dont need educating and I've been racially abused in this country on more than one occasion and I'm talking skin colour now  Although apparently that's not possible because I'm the majority.

Racism isn't a one way street

But I'm ok as I just think the person abusing me was an idiot, so like I said water off a ducks back.

I've heard of slavery and it was abhorrent however I wasnt alive and it's got nothing to do with me. Maybe my ancestors weren't treated well but I'm not gonna sit here getting fired up over something that doesn't affect me today. 

In my previous responses to you I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I do not know you or what you stand for. But you have now displayed your ignorance. 

I too have been ‘racially’ abused. I’m a white guy. A 6ft 2in black guy punched me 3 times in my face shouting “come on white boy”, whilst I was holding a pint in each hand and couldn’t defend myself. The reason? I’d turned away from the bar and knocked into him, spilling a couple of millimetres of lager over his “new jeans”. I put the pints down, got him in a headlock and presented him to the door staff. 

Was that “water off a ducks back” to me? Actually yes it was. Because him calling me a “white boy”, whilst having racial intent, did not actually offend me because I am not from a race of people who have been persecuted and dehumanised over centuries. 

Was it wrong? Of course. Was it hurtful to me? No. 

This may be where you need some education my friend. You are very, very wrong. 

2 hours ago, When the river runs said:

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Sorry fella, but that's bullshit. Every British person has indirectly benefited from slavery, Bristolians more than most. I'm not suggesting you need to feel some kind of personal responsibility or say "sorry" to every BAME person you meet, but at the same time you need to recognise that someone calling you a name referring to your skin colour is culturally very different to the abuse that Nathan Byrne got on Twitter, or the monkey noises aimed at Rose and Hudson-Odoi the other week

We've all benefitted from it then and every bame person I meet nowadays has too. So if that's the case something good has come out of something so terrible. 

We need to move forward

13 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

What I remember most from the late 60’s early 70’s, were bananas being thrown, especially at someone black taking a corner.

That always baffles me, I assume fans purposefully took bananas to the game just to do this?

9 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Racist for wanting to leave white Europe.

nationalist maybe.

That’s not what I said.

Racists will have voted for Brexit as racists are also nationalists.

Voting to Leave isn’t in itself racist, but a racist will be the sort of person that doesn’t want to hear Polish spoken while on trains.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

In my previous responses to you I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I do not know you or what you stand for. But you have now displayed your ignorance. 

I too have been ‘racially’ abused. I’m a white guy. A 6ft 2in black guy punched me 3 times in my face shouting “come on white boy”, whilst I was holding a pint in each hand and couldn’t defend myself. The reason? I’d turned away from the bar and knocked into him, spilling a couple of millimetres of lager over his “new jeans”. I put the pints down, got him in a headlock and presented him to the door staff. 

Was that “water off a ducks back” to me? Actually yes it was. Because him calling me a “white boy”, whilst having racial intent, did not actually offend me because I am not from a race of people who have been persecuted and dehumanised over centuries. 

Was it wrong? Of course. Was it hurtful to me? No. 

This may be where you need some education my friend. You are very, very wrong. 

You're entitle to you're opinion. 

You sound as if you must be able to look after yourself getting punched 3 times by someone who is 6 ft 2 and head locking him to present him to the door staff. Good on you

14 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I have a feeling you’re going to be disappointed with what’s coming.  We have a say now, we will be rule takers in future, that’s all that’s on the table.

I fear you may be right.

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

You’re tying yourself up in knots here.  Wouldn’t know where to begin with this complete and utter rubbish you are spouting. But as has been said this belongs on the political forum not on the football chat. 

I’m sorry you don’t appear to understand what our nation’s gift to the world involves – parliamentary democracy (not to be confused with the polis of Athens’ democracy where only men who were or had been hoplites could vote and, I might add, involved a yearly vote where one of their citizens would be exiled.) And I’m sorry you don’t seem to realise what the referendum vote was actually about, sovereignty. But if you did, I respect the choice to not want sovereignty. That is democracy after all.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've gone down a bit of a bind alley with this Brexit debate - that's for Non-football chat.

The fact remains, this abhorrent incident was nothing to do with City - and the club's media department should be making that clear.

Spot on . It’s a shame our clubs name is associated with this vile tweet . 

Archived