IGNORED

Wigan Player racially abused

TonyTonyTony

MY OPINION:

A lot of posters on here need to have a word with themselves. A young man has been abused by a racist, and instead of supporting the player, or condemning the racism, they seem more concerned with saying, "It wasn't one of our racists."

We have wonderful fans, but they are far from perfect. I know that when I saw the report, I wasn't surprised - it absolutely could have been from a city fan. It wasn't this time, but unless we keep working the next one could be.

15 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Brexit. Racist episodes have blown up since then

So has Brexit made people racist or were they always there and this has given them the confidence to speak out. 

As a Brexit voter I'm not racist and I can't believe the majority that voted for Brexit are racist (although I and friends that clearly aren't racist have been targeted as racists by remainers) - but I do accept that it is highly likely that most racists voted for Brexit (although the only person that I know that I would class as racist voted to remain).

To me the senior figures within the Brexit camp aren't racist (Farage, Johnson, Mogg) so do we need more or other senior figures calling out this behaviour as unacceptable and distancing the majority of the 17.5m from the minority of racists?

14 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

I just read that article on the Beeb website and immediately thought 'Oh no, please don't be from a City fan' and expected the worst. If its not, on a personal level I'm happy as I dont want that kind of shit associated with our club, but there is absolutely no need for that at any time or in any walk of life.

Lack of education and scaremongering by a number of tabloids (yes Daily Mail, I'm looking at you) have perpetuated the myth that immigration is a bad thing, when in all actuality it has been an overwhelming positive for the UK for years. Funnily enough, Trump built his presidential campaign on the same principal. That honestly scares the shit out of me.

You had the likes of Farage bleating on about the strain immigrants are putting on our social budget and hospitals etc. The facts of the matter are pensions take up approximately 80% of our social budget every year. Does that mean we should persecute all people of a pension age?

For me, the referendum was a chance for the far right to pander to the inadequacies of the ill educated to further their agenda and unfortunately that seems to have worked. Fear is a more powerful motivator than poltical policy. 

Personally, I can see the negatives and positives of Brexit, but the question remains whether the short-term pain is worth the potential of long-term gains. It also seems to me that nobody has factored in the costs to the immigrants who have come over and tried their best to integrate and who work their nuts off. Ironically, the people that moan about immigrants not blending in are the same people that go on holiday abroad and immediately look for an English/Irish bar.

Anyway, its sad that we're debating this shit when we should be celebrating the fact the club we love is having one of our best seasons for over 30 years.

Well said. I agree with almost all of the above ( except the bit about there being some positives in Brexit)....

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've gone down a bit of a bind alley with this Brexit debate - that's for Non-football chat.

The fact remains, this abhorrent incident was nothing to do with City - and the club's media department should be making that clear.

I agree, but there isn't really anything to discuss other than why are we mentioned, I think the more interesting discussion is why is racist behaviour on the rise, what is the route cause and how can it be stamped out. 

32 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So has Brexit made people racist or were they always there and this has given them the confidence to speak out. 

As a Brexit voter I'm not racist and I can't believe the majority that voted for Brexit are racist (although I and friends that clearly aren't racist have been targeted as racists by remainers) - but I do accept that it is highly likely that most racists voted for Brexit (although the only person that I know that I would class as racist voted to remain). 

To me the senior figures within the Brexit camp aren't racist (Farage, Johnson, Mogg) so do we need more or other senior figures calling out this behaviour as unacceptable and distancing the majority of the 17.5m from the minority of racists?

All three have said things that encourage the racists.

Now - move this to the politics section.

5 minutes ago, Paddy31 said:

Rees-Mogg:

• associates with AfD (anti-Semitic and racist)
  • spoke for Traditional Britain (a group that wants to "repatriate" black people)
  • is part of the group that call themselves "the Grand Wizards"

Boris Johnson:

• describes African people as 'piccaninies' with 'water-melon smiles'.
  • championed European colonialism
  • said Muslim women looked like letter-boxes
  • allowed the publication of an article which stated ‘Orientals … have larger brains and higher IQ scores. Blacks are at the other pole.’

Nigel Farage:

• said he wouldn't live next to Romanians
  • defended the word "chinky" to describe the Chinese
  • blames immigrants for pretty much everything

Maybe they are not racist. Just unlucky.

Now - move this to the politics section.

Sounds like rather piss poor stereotypes in most cases rather than racism - don't get me wrong I'm not impressed by any of these guys, I think they all have borderline mental issues in one way or another but they are not by there actions persecuting a group e.g. If Farage doesn't want to live next to Romanians then surely that just limits the house's available to him, being a bit facetious (and not wanting to say that both are the same) but if I said I didn't want to live next to a drug den that wouldn't be persecution of drug takers. 

I agree - needs to move off the football chat into the politics section. 

52 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Good post. I think some people have always been racist and political events over the last few years have made people think they are ok to voice those opinions again. Brexit isn’t the only thing and I don’t think Brexit itself is necessarily racist - but a lot of the rhetoric around Brexit was xenophobic/racist.

I think Farage is probably a racist, he’s certainly stoked those fires (the Breaking Point poster). Johnson definitely is a racist, there’s plenty of evidence in the things he’s written. 

I don’t think Rees-Mogg is, he just looks down on everyone that didn’t go to Eton. He does fall into the xenophobic class though.

We are well off topic now. :D 

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Yup, there's no getting away from it, that and a hostile media, a tory government that has been grossly irresponsible with it's electioneering rhetoric,Trump, all those conspiracy sites that drill phrases like "cultural Marxist", populist politics. They all feed each other. It's truly depressing but it's true. 

What about your opinion on anti semitism in the Labour Party? Re Brexit, I for one have had enough of it in everyday life, Football and City are for me, like many others an escape. 

2 hours ago, Bobfish said:

Really, so you feel it is ok to infer that those who voted for the right of this country to return to a parliamentary democracy, a system where the people elect temporary representatives whose views they feel represent their own – mp’s - to represent them in a forum where all the “common people” are likewise represented by representatives they voted for - the house of commons – giving the voters the power to make their own laws that are the highest power in the land, rather than allowing these laws to be overridden by another power outside the realm of the voters – i.e. the e.u., are racist? How is that not discriminatory? How is that different than inferring that people who voted “insert political party or political choice” are rapists? People who vote “insert political party or political choice” are paedophiles? Perhaps people who vote “insert political party or political choice” are guilty of domestic violence? No one would dream of such a statement, so how is it acceptable to say that people who voted for sovereignty are racist?

You do realise that we vote for MEPs too, don't you? 

And if you think that we're heading into a brave new world where all those trade deals with other countries won't involve us accepting commonly agreed rules and regulations, and independent arbitration in the event of dispute then you're either in for a shock, or anticipating that, along only with Mauratania, we'll sit in splendid isolation in the world!

Oh, and that we don't get to vote for the WTO....

5 hours ago, Olé said:

If we have anyone in charge of PR and not just badly drawn badges, they should be on the phone to the BBC non stop this morning until they amend and add the relevant explanation to their story.

I think you're correct Ole though for somewhat the wrong reason. 

Sadly, punters these days are so attuned to not having to use their grey matter their naturally occuring apophenic tendancies run riot. They wouldn't spot a spurious correlation or Type 1 error if it hit them plumb in the face.

I haven't seen anything in the press coverage implying the lowlife was a City supporter, though that's the opinion most seem to have formed. Key question for that and the rest of the political guff this thread has attracted,  would be to ask why? Does Joe Public really need to be told everything they think (or should profess to think) these days?

1 hour ago, Paddy31 said:

A lot of posters on here need to have a word with themselves. A young man has been abused by a racist, and instead of supporting the player, or condemning the racism, they seem more concerned with saying, "It wasn't one of our racists."

We have wonderful fans, but they are far from perfect. I know that when I saw the report, I wasn't surprised - it absolutely could have been from a city fan. It wasn't this time, but unless we keep working the next one could be.

Of course you're right in what you say, the main thing should be to condemn the idiot, far more so than to highlight who he was and wasn't, but as someone who commented on this thread about the need for clarification, I'll defend my position on that.

To me it is hugely important for the club not to be associated and I'm still angry about it. Football fans in general get a bad press and treated like second class citizens in lots of places and walks of life. City fans specifically will have their own reputation.

I know I'm not alone in this, but I consider myself an ambassador for the club. It probably goes further not living in Bristol and going to lots of away games, but to me I want to be treated with respect and treat others with respect. Show a bit of class.

Football fans are automatically branded brainless, rude, and the media loves to pour it on and people in authority like to use it to generalize too. When actually quite often you will see fans go out of their way to be decent, funny, warm hearted people.

Last Saturday was a great example of the good and bad. On the one hand I was pulled by the police at Sheffield station for zero reason. On the other hand a fantastic day drinking with Sheffield Utd fans, no problems and huge mutual respect throughout.

We all touch lots of people travelling - you can leave lots of them, bar staff, train staff, locals etc with a favourable impression of football fans, and City specifically, as being good humoured, respectful, decent people. I'm sure we've done that twice this week.

And yet you then have lazy reporting many will read and simply think City fans, racist, brainless, as per. It undoes everything that we do as fans and as a club and which I am proud of. Yes it's not the main issue but it's a bloody slap in the face and unjustified.

And worst of all, what has got me absolutely fuming, is the guy responsible is some armchair glory hunter, precisely the sort of person and lifestyle the media idolizes and wants football to be about, while demonsing real football clubs and real football fans.

Rant over!

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Of course you're right in what you say, the main thing should be to condemn the idiot, far more so than to highlight who he was and wasn't, but as someone who commented on this thread about the need for clarification, I'll defend my position on that.

To me it is hugely important for the club not to be associated and I'm still angry about it. Football fans in general get a bad press and treated like second class citizens in lots of places and walks of life. City fans specifically will have their own reputation.

I know I'm not alone in this, but I consider myself an ambassador for the club. It probably goes further not living in Bristol and going to lots of away games, but to me I want to be treated with respect and treat others with respect. Show a bit of class.

Football fans are automatically branded brainless, rude, and the media loves to pour it on and people in authority like to use it to generalize too. When actually quite often you will see fans go out of their way to be decent, funny, warm hearted people.

Last Saturday was a great example of the good and bad. On the one hand I was pulled by the police at Sheffield station for zero reason. On the other hand a fantastic day drinking with Sheffield Utd fans, no problems and huge mutual respect throughout.

We all touch lots of people travelling - you can leave lots of them, bar staff, train staff, locals etc with a favourable impression of football fans, and City specifically, as being good humoured, respectful, decent people. I'm sure we've done that twice this week.

And yet you then have lazy reporting many will read and simply think City fans, racist, brainless, as per. It undoes everything that we do as fans and as a club and which I am proud of. Yes it's not the main issue but it's a bloody slap in the face and unjustified.

And worst of all, what has got me absolutely fuming, is the guy responsible is some armchair glory hunter, precisely the sort of person and lifestyle the media idolizes and wants football to be about, while demonsing real football clubs and real football fans.

Rant over!

Well said. Good poster 

17 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Wow just wow is all I can say about that post tbh

Really?

straight after the brexit vote, one of my favourite bands singers was racially abused in the street by people claiming brexit would take Britain back for the British. 

She was so incensed she did this tirade at their next concert 

So tell me again my friend how ‘good’ brexit is for inter racial relations.....

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I haven't seen anything in the press coverage implying the lowlife was a City supporter, though that's the opinion most seem to have formed.

You're right mate - and as I just posted it's not just the City bit, it's the football fan in general. If he's a Man Utd fan in Sheffield then he's a TV fan not a football fan, let's have it right. Of course the media will never generalize along those lines because it is their own customers. As you well know they have us all down with Millwall DNA.

They want to paint pictures of racism as being something that happens in the provinces, at the smaller less fashionable clubs, among the less enlightened outdoor rabble who are yet to adopt their sycophantic worshiping of Man Utd and Liverpool at the altar of TV. And yet it was literally one of their own plastic sheep that did this rubbish.

They know exactly what they are implying and what they are deliberately not reporting. Why has City been mentioned and Man Utd not? It was there on the blokes profile. Because racism is a story for people to tut at and look down their noses at and thank their lucky stars they sit at home and watch a safe club like Man Utd. And so it goes on.

1 hour ago, gl1 said:

So tell me again my friend how ‘good’ brexit is for inter racial relations.....

It shouldn't make a difference. 

I have been accused of being too logical in the past but leaving a political union shouldn't change any race related issues.

38 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It shouldn't make a difference. 

I have been accused of being too logical in the past but leaving a political union shouldn't change any race related issues.

You’re right it shouldn’t. This video proves it does though sadly

16 minutes ago, gl1 said:

You’re right it shouldn’t. This video proves it does though sadly

I think this is where the media has really let us down, rather than repeating that people are welcome, that we don't have 17.5m racists and Brexit isn't a vote for racism they keep reporting these stories of racists, don't get me wrong we shouldn't be brushing it under the carpet it just needs to be more balanced with condemnation from our leaders.

23 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think this is where the media has really let us down, rather than repeating that people are welcome, that we don't have 17.5m racists and Brexit isn't a vote for racism they keep reporting these stories of racists, don't get me wrong we shouldn't be brushing it under the carpet it just needs to be more balanced with condemnation from our leaders.

Bit naive there, sorry. Media are not going to report that Majorie from slough is very welcoming of immigration. The press will quite rightly call out and jump on racist behaviour. 

The point i was was making that a singer born and bred in London, has a British accent, sings traditionally non black British / American heavy rock music and is English as you and I is made to feel uncomfortable due to her ethnicity on the streets she has always known as home.

brexit has made it ok to be overtly jingoistic and the press, and she is right to point that out.

14 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

The vast majority of Leavers are not racist, but the vast majority of racists are Leavers.

I am of mixed afro Caribbean heritage and so is my old man and we both voted out.. i know plenty of other people of colour that voted out too so that is an absolute load of bollox what you are saying. The liberal left in this country actually make me sick.

On 06/04/2019 at 22:04, Rinkadink said:

Brexit has caused a surge in hate crime/racist attacks, this is fact;

By that logic can we blame the EU for racism in football then? 2016-2018 is consistency lower then any period between 2010-2015. Even Kick It Out themselves acknowledge "it's impossible to say whether there's been a genuine increase in racist abuse or people have just become more likely to report it". I applaud the press being hot on racism but people seem to think this implies there's been a sudden change which is FUD.

17 hours ago, Olé said:

Rant over!

Hear hear!! And it validates John Barnes comments about racism not being a football problem, it's a society problem. BTW, saw the national news last night and if I hadn't known differently, I would have assumed the incident happened at the game.

8 hours ago, bris red said:

I am of mixed afro Caribbean heritage and so is my old man and we both voted out.. i know plenty of other people of colour that voted out too so that is an absolute load of bollox what you are saying. The liberal left in this country actually make me sick.

Sorry for making you feel unwell, but you missed the blokes point, he didn't say that most leavers were racist, he said most racists voted leave.

8 hours ago, bris red said:

I said the vast majority of Leavers are not racist. Is that bollox?

Archived