IGNORED

Wigan Player racially abused

TonyTonyTony

20 hours ago, When the river runs said:

We've all benefitted from it then and every bame person I meet nowadays has too. So if that's the case something good has come out of something so terrible. 

We need to move forward

So how is having to deal with attitudes from the 1960s and 1970s 'moving forward'?

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:40, BS2 Red said:

Away from the fun Brexit stuff, racism and ignorance has never really left society and football as the biggest sport will always have trouble with it as long as society does.

And it’s not just the fans, morons like Gordon Strachan in the clip below show ignorance (I don’t think he’s deliberately being racist) is still alive. 

Do you know what, I don't think Strachan has anything to apologise for. It was a dreadfully clumsy comparison, but his point seemed to be that Johnson had served his time and -  arguably- should not now receive abuse about it in the same way a black bloke shouldn't receive abuse just because he is black. Like I said , clumsy, not particularly well argued, but it's a debate with ex footballers not ******* Question Time (mind you the standard of the debate there has nose dived since Robin Day left). 

I see Strachan has now done one of those 'official' apologies, which are the most corporate, generic utter load of bollocks and will no longer be asked to appear on that particular show.

I would have loved it if Strachan had just said 'Oh **** off, I was trying to say what I thought and worded it badly'. 

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Do you know what, I don't think Strachan has anything to apologise for. It was a dreadfully clumsy comparison, but his point seemed to be that Johnson had served his time and -  arguably- should not now receive abuse about it in the same way a black bloke shouldn't receive abuse just because he is black. Like I said , clumsy, not particularly well argued, but it's a debate with ex footballers not ******* Question Time (mind you the standard of the debate there has nose dived since Robin Day left). 

I see Strachan has now done one of those 'official' apologies, which are the most corporate, generic utter load of bollocks and will no longer be asked to appear on that particular show.

I would have loved it if Strachan had just said 'Oh **** off, I was trying to say what I thought and worded it badly'. 

He was comparing the abuse black players suffer to the abuse a sex abuser might receive.

It was clumsy and he probably didn’t mean it the way it came out, but it’s indefensible to compare being black to being somebody who sexually abuses an underage girl.

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

He was comparing the abuse black players suffer to the abuse a sex abuser might receive.

It was clumsy and he probably didn’t mean it the way it came out, but it’s indefensible to compare being black to being somebody who sexually abuses an underage girl.

Well that's the thing isn't it? It really is just semantics, but you often see media outrage after someone has 'compared' something or someone to something bad, when in fact the haven't really compared them at all, at least not compared as equal, which would be wrong.

There is nowhere in that Interview that Strachan says being a sex offender is as 'bad' or 'the same as' as being black, he just makes a comparison about levels of verbal abuse.

People like Strachan are not the problem.

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well that's the thing isn't it? It really is just semantics, but you often see media outrage after someone has 'compared' something or someone to something bad, when in fact the haven't really compared them at all, at least not compared as equal, which would be wrong.

There is nowhere in that Interview that Strachan says being a sex offender is as 'bad' or 'the same as' as being black, he just makes a comparison about levels of verbal abuse.

People like Strachan are not the problem.

It’s not just semantics though. In a discussion about a sex offender playing football again he has gone out of his way to compare the abuse a sex offender gets to the abuse players get because of the colour of their skin.

The two things are not comparable. 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It’s not just semantics though. In a discussion about a sex offender playing football again he has gone out of his way to compare the abuse a sex offender gets to the abuse players get because of the colour of their skin.

The two things are not comparable. 

I think we are definitely going to have to agree to differ :)

Everyone is great at being outraged these days. 

Except when it comes to the poverty and fundamentally unjust society around them. That doesn't tend to feature on their radar. 

A poorly worded phrase and they'll be all over it, probably asking for someone to lose their job. 

Neighbours in their own street with barely enough money to get by, or any other problem, they couldn't care less as it can't be solved with a cheap angry tweet. 

The old lady 2 doors down with no family. The disabled old chap who lives alone with his bus service removed to save an incompetent government some cash. Sent any tweets about the millions like them recently? 

You know who you are.

16 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Everyone is great at being outraged these days. 

Except when it comes to the poverty and fundamentally unjust society around them. That doesn't tend to feature on their radar. 

A poorly worded phrase and they'll be all over it, probably asking for someone to lose their job. 

Neighbours in their own street with barely enough money to get by, or any other problem, they couldn't care less as it can't be solved with a cheap angry tweet. 

The old lady 2 doors down with no family. The disabled old chap who lives alone with his bus service removed to save an incompetent government some cash. Sent any tweets about the millions like them recently? 

You know who you are.

Hear ******* hear!!

Archived