IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

REDOXO

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Personally I think he needs to be unleashed. Yes I get what LJ says in view of defensive duties but he unlocks defenses as does Elliason if he gets the room. 

Its Palmer time!

4 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Far better than his lovechild Patterson

Either Palmer or Elliason from the start would have offered so much more than Pato, who bar a little spell after Palmer signed, has been so limp in most games.

Especially at home games, Pato just 'hides' most of the time. The best thing he did in 60 mins yesterday was winning a corner just before he was subbed.  

Second half with Palmer and Eliasson came on we scored 2. Dont get it why they did not start. First half we were very poor. We played Wigan home, they are low in the table. Disapointed that we not took comand from start. The line up first half was far to predicibly for the opponents. With Eliasson and Palmer we are more creative. Those players most of the time does something with the ball. Very disapointed wit a draw.

If he's available at a decent fee, I'd buy him personally.

My only worry is that LJ would buy him and then struggle to find a regular place for him in the starting 11 like he did with Tomlin.

That's why I said a couple of weeks ago that if we're serious about him we need to have him starting every game right now.

48 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Either Palmer or Elliason from the start would have offered so much more than Pato, who bar a little spell after Palmer signed, has been so limp in most games.

Especially at home games, Pato just 'hides' most of the time. The best thing he did in 60 mins yesterday was winning a corner just before he was subbed.  

Pato is too lightweight. He could do building up his upper body strength. 

28 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Second half with Palmer and Eliasson came on we scored 2. Dont get it why they did not start. First half we were very poor. We played Wigan home, they are low in the table. Disapointed that we not took comand from start. The line up first half was far to predicibly for the opponents. With Eliasson and Palmer we are more creative. Those players most of the time does something with the ball. Very disapointed wit a draw.

The reason they don’t start is down to the safety first possession game we now play.

The HC sees them both as a ‘risk’ defensively. They only came on yesterday because we were losing, if it was 1-0 to us at 60 minutes they were not getting on.

I see the rationale behind this but without those two we are as dull as ditchwater. Don’t see either of them starting on Tuesday.

As an aside I don’t get the whole thing about Patterson, he can have decent games, but in general he is a waste of a shirt.

39 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

No offensive, but it should be clear enough.

Tactical shape from the off (after two great wins). Progression of the game. Tactical change.

???

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Every time he comes on and does something we get a thread saying he should start, then every time he starts we get a thread or comments saying he shouldn’t...

Exactly the same is said about Matty Taylor. Perhaps they generally play better against tiring defences? This isn’t a knock against Taylor btw, I thought he involved himself well yesterday being used from the start which he certainly isn’t used too and hasn’t played much at all lately, or indeed this season.

17 minutes ago, Roe said:

If he's available at a decent fee, I'd buy him personally.

My only worry is that LJ would buy him and then struggle to find a regular place for him in the starting 11 like he did with Tomlin.

That's why I said a couple of weeks ago that if we're serious about him we need to have him starting every game right now.

I think you need to be a football club to buy a professional footballer , even for personal use but if you ask him nicely...

I know we have been sucsessful with safety first. We won two difficault away games and then we play Wigan home. At the Gate we should be the boss vs Wigan. Always backed LJ even when we were in the terrible run I was one of few who dont wanted him sacked. But yesterday I think he got it wrong with the starting eleven. Many games at home we have been slow and impotent the first half and then put another gear in and get it right second half. We have been good this season and LJ have got it right mostly. We are still in the race top six. My feelings at this moment is not good, it should have been all points yesterday.

23 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

No offensive, but it should be clear enough.

Tactical shape from the off (after two great wins). Progression of the game. Tactical change.

???

Yup, and that's why I expected the team that started yesterday. Obvious choice , Taylor for Weimann as he had looked busy from the bench.
What I would have done is started Palmer, Paterson flatters to deceive , gives away possession a lot, and tends to run in circles . Palmer's first thought is forward, always looking for runner's and options. Yesterday was an ideal time to give him a run, against a side that are hardly tearing up the division, LJ will probably mix it up for the more difficult looking game Vs WBA. A bit like starting Semenyo Vs Leeds instead of the Ipswich game.

37 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

I know we have been sucsessful with safety first. We won two difficault away games and then we play Wigan home. At the Gate we should be the boss vs Wigan. Always backed LJ even when we were in the terrible run I was one of few who dont wanted him sacked. But yesterday I think he got it wrong with the starting eleven. Many games at home we have been slow and impotent the first half and then put another gear in and get it right second half. We have been good this season and LJ have got it right mostly. We are still in the race top six. My feelings at this moment is not good, it should have been all points yesterday.

Yep it’s LJ’s call as he said about changes «  you’re damned if you change a winning side and damned if you don’t « 

4 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Honestly don't get some of the stick he receives. Yes he's not great at tracking back but he makes up for it in his forward play. He's easily our best play maker. 

Palmer had more effect on the game than Pato and deserves a starting place v WBA in my opinion.

Pato is like Freeman Mk2 for me the occasional moment of magic masks a general lack of effectiveness on the game. LJ and all the analysts think differently.

:dunno:

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Every time he comes on and does something we get a thread saying he should start, then every time he starts we get a thread or comments saying he shouldn’t...

This sums up the problem with playing Palmer. He’s good as an impact sub coming on for the last 20-30 minutes, but a liability if he starts the match. When he starts he tends to try too many cleaver things in dangerous areas and gives the ball away. This doesn’t matter too much if City is chasing the game, as risks have to be taken. It does matter if the match is close

Has Palmer ever started in a 352? 

I can only remember him starting in the supporting attacking role when Fam is up top on his own.

Got to be worth a go in a 352 with either Josh & Marlon behind him or maybe even as a genuine second striker.

I think WBA are vulnerable in certain areas due to the older legs they have but they are also dangerous with the likes of Gayle etc. If we play too safe against them that would maybe play into their hands as we would be trying to contain their strength rather than exploit their weaknesses.

48 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This sums up the problem with playing Palmer. He’s good as an impact sub coming on for the last 20-30 minutes, but a liability if he starts the match. When he starts he tends to try too many cleaver things in dangerous areas and gives the ball away. This doesn’t matter too much if City is chasing the game, as risks have to be taken. It does matter if the match is close

This the chicken and egg problem we have with our home form.

All too often LJ is having to bring on someone like Palmer and take risks in the second half because we have gone behind as a result of staring games too cautiously. Away from home the home team invariably has the initiative and the onus is on them to make the running, enabling LJ to set up to counter - which we have become very adept at doing.

At home, for whatever reason, we seem unable to start on the front foot and dominate teams. Perhaps it is because LJ is over cautious and not prepared to take risks, in which case he is unlikely to select someone like Palmer from the start even though he would seem exactly the sort of player we need if we are to start home games more positively.

Archived