IGNORED

2 points against Ipswich and Wigan

reddogkev

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes it does but I'd like Pack to be a bit further up the pitch more often when receiving the ball. Mix it up a bit. Not just come deep everytime, especially when we have 3 centre backs.

It's too late now of course, but a fitter and perhaps differently deployed Hegeler could have solved that issue.

A deeper Hegeler placed strictly between defence and midfield- thinking in the 4-1-4-1 could have provided that cover, that security for Pack to go 5-10 yards up the pitch more often, to hurt the opposition where it counts more. See his assist v Norwich in December.

How that would have fitted in our current system is less clear, but Hegeler could have been the midfielder dropping into back 3, perhaps even rotating with Webster and Kalas- the latter seemed to be getting forward too at times- allowing Pack to again get 5-10 yards higher up more often.

That's all gone now anyway, Hegeler left but one possible way it could have been done.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

As long as I've been following City, we've battled well against better teams, but failed to capitalise against weaker sides.

Must be some sort of arcane curse on Ashton Gate.

It would be a bit a of trawl through the archives to put together the results against top 8 / bottom 8 teams when we have played them over the years, but my perception is also that we fail to capitalise against teams near the bottom, reserving our best performances for the better teams.  That goes back many years, so the stadium and some of the fans will be the only constant..

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

As long as I've been following City, we've battled well against better teams, but failed to capitalise against weaker sides.

Must be some sort of arcane curse on Ashton Gate.

We’ve won more points against teams innthe bottom half of the table, than the top, so that’s simply not an accurate summary of the season. 

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We’ve won more points against teams innthe bottom half of the table, than the top, so that’s simply not an accurate summary of the season. 

I expect so. But our most feeble performances have been tended to be against lower table sides, whereas we've put in some spirited displays against top teams - even though we may not have taken points.

I think it's just how they psych themselves up for "big games" TBH.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. It's the one thing LJ needs to work out - why are we so bad against sides we should be beating at home. 

Especially why we are so poor/lethargic/slow in the first half of games, particularly against sides that are lowly placed or on a poor run.

The players need to start every game up-for-it.

0B412B5B-552E-47C7-9D3D-40640960FE71.thumb.jpeg.e33d2c9954a65e6039123bed65aaeef1.jpeg

Imho, you get your points against whoever you can.  Every team will have similar woes of dropping points against teams they expect to beat.  I would probably prefer our home and away form around the other way, but I’m just accepting of it now.

I’m boringly taking each game as it comes, looking forward to Tuesday v West Brom.

Think Sat / Tues took its toll a little bit yesterday with Wigan (a physical, high energy team) having a free week.

Thought LJ made some good points in his BBCRB post-match interview.  Bit about narrow pitch retained from last season.  But importantly saying some starting players playing like impact players only, which made sense.

4 hours ago, hodge said:

If we were to get Sheffield Utd we can just match them up and win both legs :laugh:

Whoever finishes third (assuming it’s one of Leeds/Sheff U) going to be very deflated as more than likely going to be by a point or two on last day.  Motivating a team to then perform well in play offs quite often shows. Saw it with Brighton a few years back and many times before that. I doubt anyone would want to play Villa should they finish 6th 

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Given how streaky we are that’s a damn good sign.

I was thinking about this earlier. I always hear we are a streaky team - but with the exception of Norwich I would guess just about every team in the Championship is streaky. Look at Villa - mid table all season then they win 5 or 6 in a row.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

but 6 points away at Sheffield Utd and Middlesborough, my glass is half full.

But is it not worrying: not being able to beat some of the weakest teams - at home??

'Bread & butter'.

11 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Really frustrating, I worry we'll look back on those 4 points dropped and realise they were crucial. 

Strange isn't it, we pick up two outstanding away wins, sandwiched between these 2 deflating home draws.  Football really is an unpredictable beast.

Wish LJ had started yesterday's game more attack-minded and not played the 3 centre-backs against Wigan. 

This is why Ladbrokes are rich..... we’ve taken 3 points from our last 5 home games and then we go and dick both The Blades and Boro away within a week....stupid game...

4 hours ago, Robin101 said:

If we get to the playoffs, should we avoid Leeds I think we have a damn good chance of winning them. 

If we get there, can we ask to play both semi final legs away and does Wembley count as an away game?

Archived