IGNORED

Where is our pr department? (Merged)

Ivorguy

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I agree but you looked it up as you’re a City fan and hoped this vile thing was nothing to do with us, no one else but a City, or Wigan fan, would do that.

Perhaps. I hadn’t looked at it that way. 

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

OK both articles are less than clear IMO, they both call out last minute equaliser against us and then talk about the racist tweets but neither state it wasn't anyone connected to City. 

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

OK both articles are less than clear IMO, they both call out last minute winners against us and then talk about the racist tweets but neither state it wasn't anyone connected to City. 

We lost..?! Bugger!  

We definitely need the club to release a statement now, otherwise the FA might not award us the point we are due..! 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Indeed - Brentford, Wigan, Northampton all have statements out, and Derby too as of the last half hour.

Pretty sure Adam Baker would have got something out by now if he was still in the job, but this is what happens when you have employees not fans in charge of PR. Probably don't work Sundays or busy designing a new badge for the badminton team.

To be fair the club shouldn't have to knee jerk react to every social media nonsense that arises but unfortunately this story is out there and BBC, Sky and others have repeated for hours now in a way that implies Bristol City are responsible for racism.

Perhaps the club are making sure they get there facts correct before making a statement. 

Brentford have made a statement on fact because they have information about the incident at Griffin Park and Northampton have witness evidence that an incident has taken place with there players

I think the club are correct to get the facts 100% correct and then issue a statement.

The problem with the articles.

It just bunched all of the racist incidents in together. I get it on one level, but took 3 if not 4 different forms.

Take the Sky Sports article.

Brentford v Derby, Duane Holmes. Okay no confusion there.

Northampton players racially abused when out for a walk in Nottingham before the game. Okay would be reasonable to perhaps infer it was racist elements in the Notts County fanbase- but who the hell knows??

Zaha receives racist abuse on Twitter. Again no context- but one might infer it was a Newcastle fan who believed he dived- disgusting of course but who the hell knows again??

Pilkington scores at AG, late equaliser-  but it was wrongly initially awarded to Byrne who received racist abuse.

No context, no nothing- but easy to infer it was a follower of us. Yet it was seemingly a student plastic Man Utd fan based at an educational institute in Liverpool who lost an accumulator!?

The problem here is this happened at a bad moment politically, and with exception of Holmes at Derby these other 3 seem to have been highly unusual, freak incidents occurring on the same day and people may well put 2 and 2 together...and get 9!! Not even 5, so far out their guess would be.

The goal wasn't even ******* Byrne's- had it rightly said "Pilkington 90 +3" from the getgo we wouldn't even he discussing it.

Highly unlikely Pilkington would have received the racist tirade.

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Byrne was in Topshop at the time of receiving the tweet, would Topshop need to issue a statement?

Top Shop should have a standing statement. Our clothes are cheap tacky and made by cheap foreign Labour. Go figure!

Just watched ITV News, still implying that the racist abuse is something to do with Bristol City or it's fans. Just not good enough, lazy and annoying journalism that makes you understand why people question every story they don't witness themselves.

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just watched ITV News, still implying that the racist abuse is something to do with Bristol City or it's fans. Just not good enough, lazy and annoying journalism that makes you understand why people question every story they don't witness themselves.

6 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Don't expect the cesspit that is the British media to actually do any research before writing an article. Also don't expect them to be accountable.

If I was the club I would just ignore it. The damage is already done for people who have read it.

I must admit, I tend to agree with @Ivorguy in the OP. A statement from the club is needed to put this `connection` to bed once and for all. For all that it`s lazy journalism mud sticks and no-one will take any notice when the truth does come out - hidden away at the bottom of page eight.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts on the matter I have raised.

I had also hoped that someone at the club would have picked up on this thread and indeed released a Press Notice.

I must now assume either that they switch off on Sundays or simply, in my and others opinion, don't see the need to issue one, in which case think Mark Ashton should be having words first thing tomorrow

Too often is the background infrastructure at City/BS sadly lacking in professionalism in my opinion.

If we are indeed aiming for The Premiership it isn't only the team that need to up their game

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sheffield’s local newspaper is reporting the alleged perpetrator is from Sheffield and has been arrested:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/arrest-made-amid-reports-sheffield-man-sent-racist-tweet-to-wigan-athletic-footballer-nathan-byrne-1-9697322

So nobody is suggesting that’s its got anything to do with us or our supporters..?! So why the need for us to issue a statement..? 

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So nobody is suggesting that’s its got anything to do with us or our supporters..?! So why the need for us to issue a statement..? 

I would imagine more people watched the BBC, SKY and ITV than read the Sheffield Star.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

None of those said that it was us or our fans either..!

Sorry, but I don't believe you have understood at all what a number of us have been trying to say. If you re-read this thread you may see our point.

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry, but I don't believe you have understood at all what a number of us have been trying to say. If you re-read this thread you may see our point.

I believe that I do understand it. 

You think that our club should be putting out a statement, to appease people who can’t read what papers have printed..? 

Theres not one report (that I’ve seen) saying that a Bristol City fan has tweeted this to him. Unlike the reports that confirm that Brentford have soificslly acted upon a STH who was reported for racial abuse. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think that our club should be putting out a statement, to appease people who can’t read what papers have printed..? 

Theres not one report (that I’ve seen) saying that a Bristol City fan has tweeted this to him. Unlike the reports that confirm that Brentford have soificslly acted upon a STH who was reported for racial abuse. 

As I said you simply can't understand the point being made, but thanks anyway for your contributions

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

There’s no need to insult people’s intelligence just because they disagree with you.

Think we will have to leave it there.

You obviously think it is a disagreement of opinion whereas I think it is a disagreement over facts.

Be interesting to see if next week brings a response from our/BS pr department.

Goodnight all, and here's hoping to regain winning form on Tuesday evening

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I do think that and think that we should as a bare minimum. 

When it comes to certain abhorrent topics - racism included- you do want to disassociate at all costs; whether ST holder not welcome anylonger, or someone far, far away and unaffiliated; if even only to show solidarity. 

The masses are, unfortunately, quite stupid. We should sing from the lansdown rooftops not in our ground; not one of us; but someone betting 

Now then, merge it into the appropriate thread I guess but for the moment it IMO merits a thread of its own.

I hope that the club monitoring this closely. These two articles, about the sad racism of this weekend, do they make it clear that no City fan is in any way culpable, let alone our club  as a whole.

Article 1 https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-stadiums-should-closed-its-14250513

Transcript

Football stadiums should be closed - it's the only solution to beating racism

The Mirror Football columnist fears we're running out of options and drastic action is now getting closer

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Stan Collymore
  • 20:36, 7 APR 2019
  • UPDATED20:59, 7 APR 2019
SPORTOPINION

Pause
Unmute

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
-0:26

Click for Sound

Get the biggest Football stories by email
Subscribe

I am despairing, hurt and upset at this weekend’s latest bout of racism in football.

Duane Holmes of Derby abused near the dug-out . Nathan Byrne abused on Twitter. Northampton players abused while on a pre-match walk in Nottingham.

Players targeted in the full range of circumstances. At a ground, on the web, and in the street.

A snapshot in 24 hours, four or five individuals targeted, different clubs and parts of the country.

It feels overwhelming, very upsetting. The time has come to stop this. We are at the stage where a trickle is now at flood stage.

A depressing element is that it is not guys my age and above, it is young people upholding those views.

0_Derby-County-v-Birmingham-City-Sky-Bet
Duane Holmes claims he was racially abused on Derby County's visit to Brentford (Image: Nathan Stirk)

0_Mirror-Campaign-Boot-Out-Racism.jpg
READ MORE

It is young kids parroting what they see as normal on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

I have seen the message directed to Nathan Byrne at Wigan. It was taking about family, and being a slave.

I can’t get my head around this.

The first emotion is anger and you want to fight the world. Next comes apathy, that nothing is being done. The third is getting off your a**e and doing something.

0_Championship-Bristol-City-v-Wigan-Athl
Nathan Byrne has been subjected to horrific tweets (Image: Action Images)

0_Arsenals-Danish-forward-Nicklas-Bendtn
Nicklas Bendtner was fined more for flashing his pants than many racist incidents (Image: AFP/Getty Images)
READ MORE

Now we have to have punishments here that mean closing grounds is on the agenda...and used. I don’t care if it ends up being a Premier League ground or a big Championship ground.

And we need fines that are big enough to be a deterrent.

Black players I talk to ask why punishments are greater for betting offences than racism.

The classic one was Nicklas Bendtner wearing the betting company pants and got a bigger fine than for some racism issues.

Black, white, Asian, whatever. All right-thinking fans are not saying we cannot have this any more. This is 2019.

Article 2 https://news.sky.com/story/efl-saddened-after-spate-of-incidents-of-alleged-racist-abuse-over-weekend-11686985?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Transcript

EFL 'saddened' after spate of incidents of alleged racist abuse over weekend

A man is arrested after allegedly abusing a Derby County player, while Northampton players say they were abused near a hotel.

Sunday 7 April 2019 16:49, UK

A Brentford season ticket-holder was arrested on suspicion of directing racist abuse at Derby's Duane Holmes while the player was in the dugout
Image:A Brentford fan was arrested on suspicion of directing racist abuse at Derby's Duane Holmes
  •  

•  

•  

•  

The English Football League (EFL) has said it is "saddened, disappointed and angered" to hear of reports of alleged racism surrounding three matches on Saturday.

Players from Derby County, Wigan and Northampton Town suffered alleged racial abuse before and during EFL matches over the weekend.

"We cannot, and will not, accept this type of behaviour inside our stadiums, as we know our clubs won't," the league said.

Brentford have said they "utterly condemn discrimination" after a season-ticket holder was arrested following a claim of abuse by Derby midfielder Duane Holmes while the player was in the dugout during his team's 3-3 draw at Griffin Park.

Derby manager Frank Lampard, who was seen pointing at someone in the crowd, said after the game Holmes and other players reported the alleged abuse to him.

Advertisement

Sky Sports' pundit, Chris Kamara, who played for Brentford for four years in the 1980s, called racism in football "a disease that is starting to come back".

Northamptonshire Police is set to investigate after several Northampton Town players were allegedly racially abused by a man outside their team hotel on Saturday in Nottingham.

The force have said they will liaise with their colleagues in Nottinghamshire.

The League Two club said in a statement that "a number of the first team squad were racially abused ahead of Saturday's game at Notts County".

Went for a pre match walk with the team in Nottingham and this young man outside the hotel started racially abusing some of our lads. The most disgusting thing I’ve seen&heard! He’s done it in front of his girl as well with no shame so he must do it all the time. Absolute idiot!

It added: "The incident occurred in Nottingham as the squad went on their normal pre-match walk from the team hotel before the game."

Midfielder Timi Elsnik confirmed in a tweet the incident had occurred, calling it "the most disgusting thing I've seen and heard".

He added: "He's done it in front of his girl as well with no shame so he must do it all the time. Absolute idiot."

England's Raheem Sterling held his ears out as Montenegro fans shouted alleged racist abuse, after he slotted in the fifth goal.
Image:England's Raheem Sterling has demanded greater leadership on the issue

Defender David Buchanan added: "Today I witnessed racial abuse to some of our players in the Village Hotel in Nottingham. Can't believe we still have scum like this in 2019. Credit to our boys who handled it impeccably."

Wigan have reported to police a sickening message on social media sent to Nathan Byrne after a match at Bristol City.

Wigan have reported a sickening message sent to Nathan Byrne (above) on social media to the police
Image:Wigan have reported a sickening message sent to Nathan Byrne on social media to the police

In a statement, the club said: "There is no place for discrimination in society and social media is not an exception to those rules. We find this behaviour abhorrent."

Wilfried Zaha rues a missed opportunity at Goodison Park
Image:Wilfried Zaha was called a 'diving monkey' on social media

Crystal Palace's Wilfried Zaha called out an online message branding him "a diving monkey" after Saturday's Premier League match at Newcastle.

The original tweet has since been deleted.

Tottenham defender Danny Rose said he has 'had enough' of racism in the sport
Image:Tottenham defender Danny Rose said he has 'had enough' of racism in the sport

The latest incidents came after the Tottenham defender Danny Rose said he "can't wait to see the back of football" due to the lack of action taken against racism, and Raheem Sterling urged authorities to take a "proper stance" against abuse.

I trust that come Monday our legal team will be all over this tbh if indeed they are or have not been already.

Not just these 2 articles but the coverage I mean. It maybe completely fair reporting but best to be sure about these things.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

As far as I can tell one mention in the two articles of the name Bristol City in no different way than mentioned many times in the other thread, but, somehow worthy of starting a new thread?

Drama !!

Well, maybe maybe not. I'm not a lawyer...?

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I really don't think the primary issue in all this- even for Bristol City FC- is whether or not people think it was anything to do with our club and our fans

Well yeah- the racial abuse is clearly the main problem for the game and I guess society in general but my problem in this instance is the conflation of multiple different issues by bundling it into one article which to an uninitiated observer may wrongly tarnish us with an undeserved brush.

Can a mod merge this thread into the correct one too please?

Archived