IGNORED

Empty seats in the south stand.

BCFC1512

8 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Why so many every game? I understand ST holders can’t/don’t goto every game but there seems to be hundreds of empty seats most games. Example Saturday the south stand was “sold out” for weeks on website but was loads of empty seats.

There didn`t seem to be as many round me as there normally is. Ipswich for instance I pretty much had the row to myself!

Well my opinion for what it's worth is we have been pretty crap at home all season and supporters that have bought season tickets have thought why bother going down I will just come out of the ground with a big feeling of being let down and do you know what most times they have been right, hence why I have not renewed my season ticket, don't care were in the top six as far as entertainment is concerned it's been sadly lacking. and at the end of the day that's what counts for me.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Well my opinion for what it's worth is we have been pretty crap at home all season and supporters that have bought season tickets have thought why bother going down I will just come out of the ground with a big feeling of being let down and do you know what most times they have been right, hence why I have not renewed my season ticket, don't care were in the top six as far as entertainment is concerned it's been sadly lacking. and at the end of the day that's what counts for me.

Well fair enough, and who am I to judge. But coming towards the end of our most successful season in some time, you must recognize that yours is an unusual viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I have renewed but completely understand where you are coming from. One of the worst seasons I can remember for entertainment at home at least. 

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Why so many every game? I understand ST holders can’t/don’t goto every game but there seems to be hundreds of empty seats most games. Example Saturday the south stand was “sold out” for weeks on website but was loads of empty seats.

The club really need to get a handle on this. If people are moving seats then the stewards are going to have to check as fans enter the stands.

There are already bugger-all South Stand seats available for the Derby match (our last home game). If money is tight then being forced to pay Lower Landown or middle Dolman prices might stop you attending.

One way or another, the club is losing revenue and non-season ticket holders are losing choice.

How much is an U12 ST in the South Stand, is is £50 with a free shirt or was that limited to the family areas last season? There is always lots of rumours that adults would buy the seats next to them for their child or ‘borrow’ a child from a relative and rarely the child attends, the adult liked having a bit more room next to them. Could that be the reason for empty seats?

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m in the Dolman and regularly see loads of empty seats in the Lansdown. Maybe a naive question but could I move over at half time without being stopped? Not that I particularly want to but the old bloke next to me farts like a camel sometimes

Yeah you can.  My ST is in the dolman.  The Ipswich game  I noticed in the first half  loads seats behind the dug outs free so at half time i wandered across the other side and watched the game  from behind the managers.  Lot lower than  than my normal view.  Apart from the dire game,  I really enjoyed watching the reactions from both camps and benches  as the match  progressed.   If you try doing that before game kicks off good chance your butt is in a purchased seat and too much mucking around.  

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

Well fair enough, and who am I to judge. But coming towards the end of our most successful season in some time, you must recognize that yours is an unusual viewpoint. 

I’m with @pillred on lots of his or her points - I enjoyed home games in the Terry Cooper era much more than I have for the last few seasons - under TC we often had Riley, Neville, Crawford and Pritchard relentlessly attacking teams in every game, and we added Alan Walsh to that quartet....much more excitement - it’s been quite turgid for quite a while at Ashton Gate ....

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

How much is an U12 ST in the South Stand, is is £50 with a free shirt or was that limited to the family areas last season? There is always lots of rumours that adults would buy the seats next to them for their child or ‘borrow’ a child from a relative and rarely the child attends, the adult liked having a bit more room next to them. Could that be the reason for empty seats?

That definitely happens but doesn't explain how three, four or more seats are empty throughout a match. If non-attending children were the issue, the seats would be singles or maybe pairs.

30 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m in the Dolman and regularly see loads of empty seats in the Lansdown. Maybe a naive question but could I move over at half time without being stopped? Not that I particularly want to but the old bloke next to me farts like a camel sometimes

Tried this after getting cold/wet in the lower Dolman one game last season. My advice would be stay away from the better seats! We got spotted in two of the padded seats just down from the executive boxes. And told to relocate....

Well this weekend their was the Bath v Bristol rugby that had 60,000 people trekking down to Twikenham, I know a few people sat around me went to watch that - extrapolated across the whole ground that would be several hundred people. Then there are the childrens season tickets, they are so cheap (and rightly so) that people by them just in case. You kid can make between 1 and 23 games so you buy a ticket just in case and they end up going to just a handful of games. The only way around that would be having all children season tickets be in the family areas that will anger people who bring their families to other parts of the ground. So it's a little awkward, tbh I I had a kid eligible I'd get them one even if I knew they would not make most games.

3 hours ago, City Ben said:

Thanks for not judging me, I just think that despite us having a successful season and I'm not arguing that we haven't the times that I have left the ground punching the air and saying yesss!! have been too few and far between, now away well that is a different story. 

4 hours ago, Diddlydonkey said:

I'd debate that. Sat in the Dolman and there were loads free next to the singing section. Annoying as I'd rather sit there..

would it not be possible with free movement in the concourse for you to move to the singing section once the game had started?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m with @pillred on lots of his or her points - I enjoyed home games in the Terry Cooper era much more than I have for the last few seasons - under TC we often had Riley, Neville, Crawford and Pritchard relentlessly attacking teams in every game, and we added Alan Walsh to that quartet....much more excitement - it’s been quite turgid for quite a while at Ashton Gate ....

Where to start with this one...I really do not know. ?

Terry Cooper was a great servant for the club and that sounds like it maybe glib but he was!! At our lowest ebb, before my time I appreciate but I do take a keen interest in our past, he was our saviour- was a key part in our revival and should be recognised as such. Don't get me wrong, I understand the sentiment perfectly well.

However differences galore...

• TC? Mainly the third and a bit of the fourth tier! Division where we are and have been a historically pretty big fish and surely in the 4th once bankruptcy averted and having to field the youth we would have become one sooner rather than later
  • Tactics of the game as you well know were so very different. Game has evolved so much in a generation, let alone this level set against those- sure those levels are much improved on 10, 20- let alone 30 years back technically and tactically but this division is nothing like what it was  even years ago. 10 years ago most played 4-4-2 as in old school 4--4-2 and GJ's 4-4-1-1 with Noble behind the striker was almost revolutionary- helped us steal a march on many.
  • Neves, players of that calibre- Porto's youngest ever captain and a CL regular with them to Wolves as a permanent deal?? 10 years ago, imagine that- this division has transformed at a startling pace.
  • Your Terry Cooper gameplan. Not knocking him as a man or a manager, or saying Cooper then transported to now couldn't have adapted but this division- it's a hard one to call isn't it. Try those tactics today and see how far it gets you. Why do you think Birmingham this season and Millwall of last season played 4-4-2 yes but counterattacking, fairly reactive version of it? Because they know it would get you picked apart- it just would in 2018/19 Championship! Your top 3, WBA at their best under Moore, Aston Villa when they get going, Derby- vs that kind of relentlessly attacking old school 4-4-2 they would be laughing!! Beat the press, outnumber you 2 v or 3 v 4 in central areas- pace and movement- the pressing.
  • Well your shape may get some early joy and be quite fun to watch but it would soon be bypassed in midfield, through speed- passing? Whatever! Or Brentford, Swansea- midtable possession sides like that.
  • Or it would be pressure absorbed quite often by teams like Wigan, Birmingham- on their good days Millwall, Rotherham, even Reading on occasion- absorb and counterpunch big time! Even QPR earlier in the season or Nottingham Forest when on form. Don't forget, a number of the possession sides also have that in their armoury. Sheffield Wednesday we saw at AG absorb first half then grow into game- we hit post first half and different game if that goes in, then they got 2 goals in 5 minutes was it. in the 2nd half- Lucas Joao I think
  • The other aspect too we should consider is that players 30 years ago set against now...they are now so well drilled, coached very specifically. So much fitter too, pitches so much better- your gameplan I could see really coming up against problems in this division in the current era.

The game has changed beyond all recognition plus we are now at a level where a lot more teams can hurt us. You are comparing what were doubtless great memories a generation ago in the third and sometimes 4th tier to now- makes very little sense. Sentiments I do get, but in reality we would be outperformed in possession, picked apart, countered on at speed- many opposition managers would LOVE a side at this level to take such an approach.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Where to start with this one...I really do not know. ?

Terry Cooper was a great servant for the club and that sounds like it maybe glib but he was!! At our lowest ebb, before my time I appreciate but I do take a keen interest in our past, he was our saviour- was a key part in our revival and should be recognised as such. Don't get me wrong, I understand the sentiment perfectly well.

However differences galore...

• TC? Mainly the third and a bit of the fourth tier! Division where we are and have been a historically pretty big fish and surely in the 4th once bankruptcy averted and having to field the youth we would have become one sooner rather than later
  • Tactics of the game as you well know were so very different. Game has evolved so much in a generation, let alone this level set against those- sure those levels are much improved on 10, 20- let alone 30 years back technically and tactically but this division is nothing like what it was  even years ago. 10 years ago most played 4-4-2 as in old school 4--4-2 and GJ's 4-4-1-1 with Noble behind the striker was almost revolutionary- helped us steal a march on many.
  • Neves, players of that calibre- Porto's youngest ever captain and a CL regular with them to Wolves as a permanent deal?? 10 years ago, imagine that- this division has transformed at a startling pace.
  • Your Terry Cooper gameplan. Not knocking him as a man or a manager, or saying Cooper then transported to now couldn't have adapted but this division- it's a hard one to call isn't it. Try those tactics today and see how far it gets you. Why do you think Birmingham this season and Millwall of last season played 4-4-2 yes but counterattacking, fairly reactive version of it? Because they know it would get you picked apart- it just would in 2018/19 Championship! Your top 3, WBA at their best under Moore, Aston Villa when they get going, Derby- vs that kind of relentlessly attacking old school 4-4-2 they would be laughing!! Beat the press, outnumber you 2 v or 3 v 4 in central areas- pace and movement- the pressing.
  • Well your shape may get some early joy and be quite fun to watch but it would soon be bypassed in midfield, through speed- passing? Whatever! Or Brentford, Swansea- midtable possession sides like that.
  • Or it would be pressure absorbed quite often by teams like Wigan, Birmingham- on their good days Millwall, Rotherham, even Reading on occasion- absorb and counterpunch big time! Even QPR earlier in the season or Nottingham Forest when on form. Don't forget, a number of the possession sides also have that in their armoury. Sheffield Wednesday we saw at AG absorb first half then grow into game- we hit post first half and different game if that goes in, then they got 2 goals in 5 minutes was it. in the 2nd half- Lucas Joao I think
  • The other aspect too we should consider is that players 30 years ago set against now...they are now so well drilled, coached very specifically. So much fitter too, pitches so much better- your gameplan I could see really coming up against problems in this division in the current era.

The game has changed beyond all recognition plus we are now at a level where a lot more teams can hurt us. You are comparing what were doubtless great memories a generation ago in the third and sometimes 4th tier to now- makes very little sense. Sentiments I do get, but in reality we would be outperformed in possession, picked apart, countered on at speed- many opposition managers would LOVE a side at this level to take such an approach.

Really appreciate your lengthy and considered response, cheers.

But I only said I enjoyed watching City at home much more under TC than in the previous few seasons, that’s all. I loved every minute of watching that team tear into the opposition (both at home and away) - it was so much fun and so refreshing after the hard, hard years of seeing us endure three consecutive relegations, etc.

You called it ‘my gameplan’ - it wasn’t mine and I didn’t say it would work today - I was just looking back to a time when we were entertained a lot more than today. And now we usually play one guy up front on his own...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really appreciate your lengthy and considered response, cheers.

But I only said I enjoyed watching City at home much more under TC than in the previous few seasons, that’s all. I loved every minute of watching that team tear into the opposition (both at home and away) - it was so much fun and so refreshing after the hard, hard years of seeing us endure three consecutive relegations, etc.

You called it ‘my gameplan’ - it wasn’t mine and I didn’t say it would work today - I was just looking back to a time when we were entertained a lot more than today. And now we usually play one guy up front on his own...

To be honest, I was on one a bit last night not least because of the Byrne thing- it came across as a bit of a rant reading back this morning and apologies for that.

Yeah, does sound good. To me, one up front is quite alright in 2018/19 at this level if they get proper support- though I would stick with the 3-5-2 with maybe some tweaks for the foreseeable. By the same token, Murray on the wing early 2000's- season he scored 25 goals was it- but the higher you get the less scope that may exist for these things, especially last decade or so.

@JulieH @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO is there a plan for the Atyeo put in place yet? I think we'd really benefit from having home fans in the Atyeo with Derby fans as the demand will be there; I can't even remember the last time we scored a goal up the Atyeo end. Derby fans aren't coming down with the same reputation as Leeds, if we coped against United and City I'm sure Derby would be no bother. 

Archived