IGNORED

Empty seats in the south stand.

BCFC1512

13 hours ago, City Ben said:

Well fair enough, and who am I to judge. But coming towards the end of our most successful season in some time, you must recognize that yours is an unusual viewpoint. 

Its not as unusual as you may think. I am with him on this one. Its been mid blowingly boring to watch this year, so much so i do not look forward to going. 

3 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Its not as unusual as you may think. I am with him on this one. Its been mid blowingly boring to watch this year, so much so i do not look forward to going. 

Has it?

Our underlying numbers are midtableish for a start. Would like to know your plan, how you would go for it, setup- taking into account the division etc.

Blackburn- 4-1? Boring! Norwich 2-2 entertaining draw under the lights v the fairly freescoring League Leaders? Boring!

Yes Preston at home was shocking and so in its way were Ipswich and Millwall but while it's not always been great, how would you setup tactically? What changes would you as a manager make? I agree when we had the 4-1-4-1 Diedhiou undoubtedly needed more support....

Over to you...tactics, shape etc :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m with @pillred on lots of his or her points - I enjoyed home games in the Terry Cooper era much more than I have for the last few seasons - under TC we often had Riley, Neville, Crawford and Pritchard relentlessly attacking teams in every game, and we added Alan Walsh to that quartet....much more excitement - it’s been quite turgid for quite a while at Ashton Gate ....

And you could stand in the majority of the ground.....way better for atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Has it?

Our underlying numbers are midtableish for a start. Would like to know your plan, how you would go for it, setup- taking into account the division etc.

Blackburn- 4-1? Boring! Norwich 2-2 entertaining draw under the lights v the fairly freescoring League Leaders? Boring!

Yes Preston at home was shocking and so in its way were Ipswich and Millwall but while it's not always been great, how would you setup tactically? What changes would you as a manager make? I agree when we had the 4-1-4-1 Diedhiou undoubtedly needed more support....

Two up top would be a start, much like we did Saturday but I still don't feel we gave the front two enough service. Where Taylor popped up for the goal is where he should be every time which is what he was doing for fun at Rovers albeit in a lower division, for us he seems to have to drop into midfield just to get a touch of the ball.

14 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Two up top would be a start, much like we did Saturday but I still don't feel we gave the front two enough service. Where Taylor popped up for the goal is where he should be every time which is what he was doing for fun at Rovers albeit in a lower division, for us he seems to have to drop into midfield just to get a touch of the ball.

In a 3-5-2, I would agree yes. Perhaps we should have gone that way sooner.

In a fairly old 4-4-2, no. We would often get picked apart either through midfield or on the break. Taylor is an interesting one...technically good he can drift back a bit- with his energy and decent technical ability, goals but also assists are possible. Similar with Weimann, the latter of whom can play along the frontline.

"Mind blowingly boring to watch this year" is just ridiculous hyperbole though IMO, with respect to the poster who made the claim of course. Have they watched us under any number of managers last 20-30 years? Before even taking into account context- i.e. how the Championship is, has been, has developed- how it compares to League One and us being a bigger fish.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a 3-5-2, I would agree yes. Perhaps we should have gone that way sooner.

In a fairly old 4-4-2, no. We would get picked apart either through midfield or on the break. Taylor is an interesting one...

"Mind blowingly boring to watch this year" is just ridiculous hyperbole though IMO, with respect to the poster who made the claim of course. Have they watched us under any number of managers last 20-30 years?

I'd say it's been dull, certainly in comparison with our away games, perhaps he or she was slightly exaggerating.

It must be said though our football away hasn't been all thrills, we generally just suit playing away from home better as teams come onto us and we can pick them off. Of course it's more entertaining as there have been more "scenes" and jubilant moments, but otherwise the style doesn't differ massively.

A comparison I've made in the past is Carlos' Wednesday which I'm sure @Davefevs will have an opinion on — the first year under him they played some of the best football I've seen at this level, Bannan and Lee ticking over and Hooper pulling defenders everywhere and everywhere, they finished 6th. The second season was a complete contrast, they went from that side to being the most street wise, effective machine that bored teams to death and ultimately built themselves upon clean sheets and looked to nick the odd goal every week which would often win it, they finished 4th.

The comparison is us last season vs us this season, for the first half of last season particularly we played some football that was very easy on the eye, but we had a soft underbelly and ultimately we came up short. This year we seem to be a bit more effective, maybe it'll bring the result we're ultimately striving for (top six)? Who knows.

@BessexRED Didn’t see enough of them to be fair, but certainly get what you’re saying. They had good players, the ones you mention plus Forestieri, Joao and the underrated McGugan.  Not sure why Carvaho changed the way they played for 16/17, but for 17/18 with Forestieri out they struggled.  Although Bannan a good player, the clamour for him here is something I've never been for.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@BessexRED Didn’t see enough of them to be fair, but certainly get what you’re saying. They had good players, the ones you mention plus Forestieri, Joao and the underrated McGugan.  Not sure why Carvaho changed the way they played for 16/17, but for 17/18 with Forestieri out they struggled.  Although Bannan a good player, the clamour for him here is something I've never been for.

Bannan always seems to play well against us mate but he sits on top of the two CBs particularly at home, our fans would soon get a piss on about that as it's frowned upon when Pack does similar as he does Saturday.

Very good side it was though (and still is, really), Hunt and Lees on the right side of defence was formidable, Westwood arguably the best GK in the division as well. Mind you, amongst the good signings they've had some big buys like Abdi, Van Aken, Matias that haven't worked out at all. Their wage bill is enormous for a club not receiving parachute payments.

1 minute ago, BessexRED said:

Bannan always seems to play well against us mate but he sits on top of the two CBs particularly at home, our fans would soon get a piss on about that as it's frowned upon when Pack does similar as he does Saturday.

Very good side it was though (and still is, really), Hunt and Lees on the right side of defence was formidable, Westwood arguably the best GK in the division as well. Mind you, amongst the good signings they've had some big buys like Abdi, Van Aken, Matias that haven't worked out at all. Their wage bill is enormous for a club not receiving parachute payments.

Spot on Re Bannan.

17 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Why so many every game? I understand ST holders can’t/don’t goto every game but there seems to be hundreds of empty seats most games. Example Saturday the south stand was “sold out” for weeks on website but was loads of empty seats.

I don't know about every game, but this Saturday the Bears were at Twickenham. Many City fans also follow the rugby/have joint season cards. May explain a large absence.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Has it?

You do seem to be  like a dog with a bone on this thread. Can you simply not accept that others may find sideways ponderous football to be less than entertaining. I am no masterful tactical genius, I will leave that to experts  such as you. I am nothing more than a paying supporter that's not too impressed with the fare that's being dished up. By the way many others I speak to are of a similar opinion.

3 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

You do seem to be  like a dog with a bone on this thread. Can you simply not accept that others may find sideways ponderous football to be less than entertaining. I am no masterful tactical genius, I will leave that to experts  such as you. I am nothing more than a paying supporter that's not too impressed with the fare that's being dished up. By the way many others I speak to are of a similar opinion.

Each to their own, just wonder what some people expect at times though.

5-5 and 3-3 v Hull and Sunderland were great fun. So were the away draws at Derby 3-3 and Leeds 2-2! #GoalsGalore

On a serious note, I think the bad games of which there have been a few- like one shot on target- have amplified the negative perception about the overall home package.

We are 18th in the league for home form and 3 points above the relegation zone, if all you’re exposed to as a fan is home games (for whatever reason, including family commitments and financial restraints etc) then I’m not surprised there’s more apathy / complaint about the team than you’d ordinarily expect for a top six club. 

5 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

We are 18th in the league for home form and 3 points above the relegation zone, if all you’re exposed to as a fan is home games (for whatever reason, including family commitments and financial restraints etc) then I’m not surprised there’s more apathy / complaint about the team than you’d ordinarily expect for a top six club. 

I'd argue we have been unlucky not to get more points and goals at home though. Sheffield Wednesday Kelly hit post in first 20, Stoke Diedhiou hit bar and post- one in 2nd half, one just before Stoke got what turned out to be the winner.

Millwall we hit the woodwork and perhaps should have edged it, Bolton woodwork twice, Rotherham once- though given they went down to 10 and 9 men maybe lucky to win. Ipswich we hit woodwork, Swansea and QPR we had goals dubiously disallowed in each- now we won both but it could have been more comfortable. 

Yes we conceded a few woodwork too- namely first half v Wigan, v Nottingham Forest, Blackburn and Swansea but we have probably had more bad luck than good at home this year. Which should have yielded more goals and points arguably. Guess results are what count...

16 hours ago, Xiled said:

The club really need to get a handle on this. If people are moving seats then the stewards are going to have to check as fans enter the stands.

There are already bugger-all South Stand seats available for the Derby match (our last home game). If money is tight then being forced to pay Lower Landown or middle Dolman prices might stop you attending.

One way or another, the club is losing revenue and non-season ticket holders are losing choice.

It's stopping me on Tuesday going to the WBA game.

7 hours ago, BessexRED said:

@JulieH @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO is there a plan for the Atyeo put in place yet? I think we'd really benefit from having home fans in the Atyeo with Derby fans as the demand will be there; I can't even remember the last time we scored a goal up the Atyeo end. Derby fans aren't coming down with the same reputation as Leeds, if we coped against United and City I'm sure Derby would be no bother. 

Hi there, I know that it is being considered for this match. Keep an eye out on the club website as this is where any decision will be announced if it is possible. 

Matt

21 hours ago, RedM said:

How much is an U12 ST in the South Stand, is is £50 with a free shirt or was that limited to the family areas last season? There is always lots of rumours that adults would buy the seats next to them for their child or ‘borrow’ a child from a relative and rarely the child attends, the adult liked having a bit more room next to them. Could that be the reason for empty seats?

£50. And I did. Along with 2 U19s. Next year 3 U19s.

Rarely are they all used so I’m guilty as charged! Divorced dad and all that.....

But then I do offer them up for a donation to CHSW. 

Would be a shame if that were to stop.....

15 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

£50. And I did. Along with 2 U19s. Next year 3 U19s.

Rarely are they all used so I’m guilty as charged! Divorced dad and all that.....

But then I do offer them up for a donation to CHSW. 

Would be a shame if that were to stop.....

You do a great thing for the CHSW, and for your fellow fans who can’t attended regularly for all manner of reasons too. I often see  your posts offering your tickets and certainly hope it continues.

I was just stating this could be one of the reasons there are seats spare sometimes, child seats not regularly used. A parent could buy a £50 ticket, get a free shirt and only have their child with them a couple of times and it would still be financially viable. But the seats would be empty as rarely do people go to the trouble you do. Thank you.

Archived