IGNORED

Team for WBA

The hand of RO'D

I can see LJ going back to 4-4-1-1 for tomorrow's game. 

O'Leary

Hunt Webster Kalas Da Silva

Brownhill Pack Smith Elliason

Palmer

Fam

I can see Kasey starting tomorrow with Brownhill operating as a more of a RCM a bit like he did last year. I'm hoping Korey will be back as well need some bite in midfield. Matty for me is much more effective coming on for the final third of the game when we might still be level and try to snatch a winner. 

I'm hoping tomorrow we start bright and on the front foot and actually take the game and the lead against what is a very good wba. Too many times we've had to, and successfully, turn games around at home. What id do for a comfortable 2-0 win tomorrow and cement us right in the play off mix. 

7 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

O'Leary

Palmer

Fam

I can see Kasey starting tomorrow with Brownhill operating as a more of a RCM a bit like he did last year. I'm hoping Korey will be back as well need some bite in midfield. Matty for me is much more effective coming on for the final third of the game when we might still be level and try to snatch a winner. 

I'm hoping tomorrow we start bright and on the front foot and actually take the game and the lead against what is a very good wba. Too many times we've had to, and successfully, turn games around at home. What id do for a comfortable 2-0 win tomorrow and cement us right in the play off mix. 

If everyone fit, there is a lot to like about that line-up.  If it wasn’t for their front 2, I would be pretty confident of us getting the right result.

24 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

O'Leary

Palmer

Fam

We would face the old, familiar problem of a not very quick, isolated front man in we played that formation. Easily marked out of the game and being asked to do too much.

Three games with two up front = 7 points.

I'd hope he doesn't revert to the system that saw us looking very poor before the international break. 

42 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

O'Leary

Palmer

Fam

The only reservation I have about this- is that I don't see Diedhiou as being so likely to mesh with Palmer. Perhaps the formation change has helped us see other aspects of his game but stylistically, I could see Palmer and say Weimann or even Palmer and Taylor being a more fluid combination.

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We would face the old, familiar problem of a not very quick, isolated front man in we played that formation. Easily marked out of the game and being asked to do too much.

Three games with two up front = 7 points.

I'd hope he doesn't revert to the system that saw us looking very poor before the international break. 

Then you need to get more consistent support up to him- though it is hard with the current absentes.

Why not play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid- ah but then my plan for that would have been Eliasson O'Dowda Diedhiou or even those 2 and the lone striker being one of Weimann/Taylor as one of the more mobile frontmen. Problem is varied absentees...

Anything else is a bit of an awkward fit IMO.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Then you need to get more consistent support up to him- though it is hard with the current absentes.

Why not play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid- ah but then my plan for that would have been Eliasson O'Dowda Diedhiou or even those 2 and the lone striker being one of Weimann/Taylor as one of the more mobile frontmen. Problem is varied absentees...

Anything else is a bit of an awkward fit IMO.

TBH I think Weimann is the only player we have with the pace and vision to operate as a solo striker.

During our "poor patch" in the middle of this season, Johnson had the idea of highly mobile full backs bombing up the wing and then passing to our wide midfielders who'd be cutting in and supplying the cross for Fammy.  Trouble was, Fam was not as fast as the wide players and usually had a big defender sitting right on his shoulder as if glued there. The full-backs would be trying to keep the ball until it was ready to be released and if they lost possession, opponents had a break on with at least one of our defenders waaay out of position.

If we think about the first half v Wigan, most of the problems came through playing a wing back system, particularly with DaSilva being off his usual game and the back 3 not lined up in a way they felt comfortable with. When we switched to an orthodox 4-4-2 we looked much more capable, scored twice and we're unlucky to concede in ET, but tbh I'd have tried a bit harder to get that third rather than trying to "game manage" from about the 70th minute. Maybe if Johnson had made the switch at HT, we'd have got that third goal? 

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH I think Weimann is the only player we have with the pace and vision to operate as a solo striker.

During our "poor patch" in the middle of this season, Johnson had the idea of highly mobile full backs bombing up the wing and then passing to our wide midfielders who'd be cutting in and supplying the cross for Fammy.  Trouble was, Fam was not as fast as the wide players and usually had a big defender sitting right on his shoulder as if glued there. The full-backs would be trying to keep the ball until it was ready to be released and if they lost possession, opponents had a break on with at least one of our defenders waaay out of position.

If we think about the first half v Wigan, most of the problems came through playing a wing back system, particularly with DaSilva being off his usual game and the back 3 not lined up in a way they felt comfortable with. When we switched to an orthodox 4-4-2 we looked much more capable, scored twice and we're unlucky to concede in ET, but tbh I'd have tried a bit harder to get that third rather than trying to "game manage" from about the 70th minute. Maybe if Johnson had made the switch at HT, we'd have got that third goal? 

Yeah, I think Weimann is the most suited- still wonder about a bona fide 4-3-3 actually using Eliasson and at times O'Dowda as genuine wingers with the security of a midfield 3 and maybe more cautious full backs behind. That isn't for this season though, was one idea i had earlier in the season- perhaps it would have panned out similar. Diedhiou- barely breaks a sweat, don't know if he has been lazy or just slow- probably the latter.

Would argue it wasn't an orthodox 4-4-2 but more of one perhaps- would have to watch the game back and analyse shape etc. Think we did try quite hard to get the third- Wright should have made it 3-1, quite sure Diedhiou had a decent chance too. Think an hour in triple sub was reasonably brave, certainly braver than he has been slated for in the post.

As WBA have scored 75 goals this seasons I’d have reservations about starting Palmer as he seems light defensively, on the evidence of his first half against Wolves at least. I think like Taylor he’s more effective as a sub when the players have tired so I’d start Pato even if it is with the aim to stifle WBA in the first half before making more attacking subs in the second.

If Korey is fit i would go with...

Max

Hunt

Kalas

Webster

JDS

Brownhill

Smith

Pack

Eliasson

Taylor

Fammy

If not then move Josh CM and put Pato wide midfield.

Can't see LJ leaving Bailey Wright out though and can definitely see the argument for this, just feel Webster and Kalas are the better CB's and we need Full backs playing in their position 

26 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

If Korey is fit i would go with...

Max

Hunt

Kalas

Webster

JDS

Brownhill

Smith

Pack

Eliasson

Taylor

Fammy

If not then move Josh CM and put Pato wide midfield.

Can't see LJ leaving Bailey Wright out though and can definitely see the argument for this, just feel Webster and Kalas are the better CB's and we need Full backs playing in their position 

We can get outnumbered in the centre though Brownhill out there will help alleviate that- way WBA play though, 4-3-3 at this time and have for a number of games. Plenty of risk of 3 v 2 situations. Think West Brom's main issue is at the back though! If it's a mix of counter attacking and possession in West Brom's 4-3-3 type shape then we could have problems for sure.

Paterson and Eliasson- how would they fit in defensively? Yes West Brom have more emphasis on football over physical so that may play into our hands but I'd worry about us defensively with those 2 as the wide options! Outnumbered both wide and centrally in different phases and even at times simultaneously?! Rodriguez and Gayle are sufficiently quick and skilful that this could happen. If they (Paterson and Eliasson) drift inside then that could solve the central problem for us, but leave big risks on the counter.

Asymmetrical style though- one winger on the left and one CM/wide midfielder out wide on the right- interesting.

Now if your 4-4-2 is more of a counter attacking one I could see it getting some joy though wouldn't say Paterson necessarily the man for this- Diedhiou and Taylor can work well together, v Stoke in the Carling Cup a very good example of this last season.

How long did Matty wait for a start?

He scored one (and what a good goal it was too) and set up another and yet people would now drop/rest (don't care what you call it) him again?

What message would that send to the lad, and the rest of the team?

Diedhiou and Matty up front.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Taylor needs a run in the side. Goal and an assist and people are thinking about dropping him! 

Absolutely. You pipped me to the post!

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Pisano offers more going forward than Hunt

What team have you been watching this season ?

Pisano is good but, sadly,  can’t cope with the mileage and the speed necessary to be running up and down the pitch for ninety minutes in the attacking full back / wing back role .

Hunt is quick , athletic, sharp and positive and can do it for the full ninety so no comparison.

30 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

How long did Matty wait for a start?

He scored one (and what a good goal it was too) and set up another and yet people would now drop/rest (don't care what you call it) him again?

What message would that send to the lad, and the rest of the team?

Diedhiou and Matty up front.

Absolutely. You pipped me to the post!

32 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Taylor needs a run in the side. Goal and an assist and people are thinking about dropping him! 

Both very true.

LJ hasn’t always rewarded the players who’ve come off the bench to turn games or come in and played well.  Pisano, Eliasson, Taylor and to a lesser extent Palmer have not always been (de)selected fairly.

You are right, to leave Taylor out would be poor.  Tough to fit in Eliasson AND Palmer unless playing them out of position.

29 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Pisano is good but, sadly,  can’t cope with the mileage and the speed necessary to be running up and down the pitch for ninety minutes in the attacking full back / wing back role .

Hunt is quick , athletic, sharp and positive and can do it for the full ninety so no comparison.

Hunt also has the most assists for us this season (equal with Taylor and Eliasson interestingly!)

38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I'd say if we want the more cautious approach- Pisano at RB is not a bad option. Talking in general here, not about Tuesday!

The attacking Full Back or even Wing back- Hunt undoubtedly wins hands down.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Both very true.

LJ hasn’t always rewarded the players who’ve come off the bench to turn games or come in and played well.  Pisano, Eliasson, Taylor and to a lesser extent Palmer have not always been (de)selected fairly.

You are right, to leave Taylor out would be poor.  Tough to fit in Eliasson AND Palmer unless playing them out of position.

In that case I'd retain the 3-5-2, with Palmer in for Paterson. With WBA playing 4-3-3 that gives us defensive strength and some goalscoring prowess. 

Change it after 60-70 minutes if the scores are level.

Hopefully, we wont be chasing the game as per usual.

10 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

In that case I'd retain the 3-5-2, with Palmer in for Paterson. With WBA playing 4-3-3 that gives us defensive strength and some goalscoring prowess. 

Change it after 60-70 minutes if the scores are level.

Hopefully, we wont be chasing the game as per usual.

It’s what I’d do too...but harsh on Eliasson.

Good luck to The Hand of Rod  asking for a 2-0 win, out of our 17 victories this season

only 4 of them have been by more than 1 goal. 13 times we have won by only 1 goal,

which is not good for the old ticker.  Even the last 3 games when we have played with

2 up front we have still either won by 1 goal or drawn.

I cant see that changing between now and the end of the season, so strap yourself in.

Archived