IGNORED

LJ interview after game Radio Brizzle

DT The Optimist

Heard it driving home on Saturday after the game, not picked up on here that i have seen ( sorry if I missed it) but he was asked about home form by the interviewer.   

He stated it was something they were going to have to deal with ( certainly words to that effect) and he stated what we all know,  in that our away form is top of the table and we are struggling at the Gate and home form bit poor..   What he then went on to say was about the width of the pitch, and that may not be hindering us and is something that will be looked at ( a clear inference that it will be widened again in the close season ?) 

Never thought of that as a reason why (as a rule of thumb)  why our home performances have not been too 'bright' to say the least ?  Think he has a valid point here ?

I think it’s a mindset, we’re too cautious. When we go at teams we look quality. Of course, we can’t be gung-ho all the time, but we’ll win more than we lose (or draw) with a bit more ambition.

A wider pitch may help in that respect, as well as making it harder for teams to defend.

9 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Heard it driving home on Saturday after the game, not picked up on here that i have seen ( sorry if I missed it) but he was asked about home form by the interviewer.   

He stated it was something they were going to have to deal with ( certainly words to that effect) and he stated what we all know,  in that our away form is top of the table and we are struggling at the Gate and home form bit poor..   What he then went on to say was about the width of the pitch, and that may not be hindering us and is something that will be looked at ( a clear inference that it will be widened again in the close season ?) 

Never thought of that as a reason why (as a rule of thumb)  why our home performances have not been too 'bright' to say the least ?  Think he has a valid point here ?

Can't think that would make a lot of difference, the main problem is a lack of creativity in midfield and the slowness of build up in our attacks, the players we have are more suited to attacking on the break which is what happens in away games.

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Yeah I mentioned it in another post.

He said two things....one about the width of pitch remaining the same as last season when he specifically wanted it narrower.

The other thing was some starting players playing as impact players.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I think it’s down to the crowd. Very quick to turn negative.

i reckon the players prefer to play away 

As a general rule we tend to do better when we're the underdogs and struggle in  matches we're expected to win (which is most of the home games)

3 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

That directly contradicts what Taylor said after the game

I’m sure they enjoy it when we win

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As a general rule we tend to do better when we're the underdogs and struggle in  matches we're expected to win (which is most of the home games)

Yes, there’s that too.

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I think it’s down to the crowd. Very quick to turn negative.

i reckon the players prefer to play away 

Do you travel away often? The AG atmosphere has been average for the past 12 months, but other than Leeds and Wolves there's not any other grounds I've visited where I've walked away and thought that the atmosphere was anything better than what gets served up at AG every week.

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It’ll be a different atmosphere tomorrow night when the Baggies show up with a huge following and City for once not being favourites....

Im reallly looking forward to it! 

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

Do you travel away often? The AG atmosphere has been average for the past 12 months, but other than Leeds and Wolves there's not any other grounds I've visited where I've walked away and thought that the atmosphere was anything better than what gets served up at AG every week.

Sheff unt away was very good unt were loud all around the ground

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Sheff unt away was very good unt were loud all around the ground

You think? I thought the atmosphere was pretty poor given the importance of the game, their fans seemed to agree as well as there were comments on social media afterwards calling each other out for the poor atmosphere.

If City were top 2 and had a game against a side in the playoffs on a Saturday 3pm sellout I think the atmosphere would be better than that was.

9 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

You think? I thought the atmosphere was pretty poor given the importance of the game, their fans seemed to agree as well as there were comments on social media afterwards calling each other out for the poor atmosphere.

If City were top 2 and had a game against a side in the playoffs on a Saturday 3pm sellout I think the atmosphere would be better than that was.

They were only quiet when we equalised or took the lead when do you get singing all around ashton gate the only time it was like that was against man unt .

The atmosphere can't help...I don't think it's the cause for poor results, but it can't help.

I've never known a season where before a game the players and coach talk about the fans and support. Neither have I seen the players so animated every game trying to get the fans going.

Then they speak about the fans again, and getting behind the team post match.

I sat listening to s82 on Saturday...they do a fine job...but being tucked away doesn't help.

I listened to the majority...just nattering about the game to mates, or reacting to a misplaced pass.

We had a couple moments in the late second half where all stands got involved, but it's few and far between.

We react well when we are going for it.

The rest of the time it's just white noise.

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

They were only quiet when we equalised or took the lead when do you get singing all around ashton gate the only time it was like that was against man unt .

The only chant they all joined in with was "shoreham boys" mate, exactly the same as us with cider army or come on you reds.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

The atmosphere can't help...I don't think it's the cause for poor results, but it can't help.

I've never known a season where before a game the players and coach talk about the fans and support. Neither have I seen the players so animated every game trying to get the fans going.

I sat listening to s82 on Saturday...they do a fine job...but being tucked away doesn't help.

I listened to the majority...just nattering about the game to mates, or reacting to a misplaced pass.

We had a couple moments in the late second half where all stands got involved, but it's few and far between.

Agree mate it dont help with our wanky stewards watching over you looking for you to get out your seat or make a wrong move .

17 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Agree mate it dont help with our wanky stewards watching over you looking for you to get out your seat or make a wrong move .

Think they are a mixed bag personally.

They tolerate standing at the top of the Dolman most of the time for example. Lansdown and parts of South Stand though I suspect they can be particularly OTT- in particular Lansdown Stand. Dolman beyond the top, mixed bag quite likely. Some will be highly naggy, some relaxed.

Those who steward the away end by all accounts- seldom get complaints online about them which you do at a lot of grounds.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Spudski is  right about S82. They should be in the middle of the South stand behind the goal. The noise and singing would spread both ways towards the wings with no natural break. I've said before that you are more likely to join in if the fan next to you is singing/chanting, rather than the guy in the next stand. 

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Spudski is  right about S82. They should be in the middle of the South stand behind the goal. The noise and singing would spread both ways towards the wings with no natural break. I've said before that you are more likely to join in if the fan next to you is singing/chanting, rather than the guy in the next stand. 

They’d have to stand along the back 

23 minutes ago, beaverface said:

With regards to the pitch width, are we allowed to make it wider mid season, or do you have to keep it the same dimensions for the entire season?

Keep it for the season as far as I recall.  Otherwise teams playing us won’t be on an equal footing.

26 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

i went to AG last year after 15 years away. I didn't enjoy it, haven't been since. Sat in the Lansdown.

The local village church has more atmosphere at midnight on Wednesdays.

i thought most of the fans were dead.

What on earth did you expect - I suspect if you sit in the most expensive seats in any ground you are hardly going to be among chants and singing.

Mind you, a lot has happened in 15 years, if that's your benchmark - you missed a great period during the GJ years and Div 1 games vs Swindon were as loud as you might remember - it's all about choosing seats and the game.

34 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

i went to AG last year after 15 years away. I didn't enjoy it, haven't been since. Sat in the Lansdown.

Bet you’re fun at parties

Seriously try the Dolman towards the S82 or behind the goal. The Lansdown is full of people having picnics

I think small things would see us improve at home. Widening the pitch is something I have thought about for ages and also location of our singing section. I think sticking some of our fans in a corner of the Atyeo would help generate a better atmosphere. It's no surprise our poor first half performances always come when we are playing towards the away fans. 

Yhat, or we push away fans into a section of the dolman or Lansdown stand out of the way.

Need to be less cautious tactically at home as well. We didnt need 5 defenders on Saturday vs Wigan.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’ll be a different atmosphere tomorrow night when the Baggies show up with a huge following and City for once not being favourites....

Im reallly looking forward to it! 

They won’t sit back, they will attack us and that may be to our advantage as will open up space to counter and their CBs are not the quickest and get done quite often by pace - let’s hope LJ sets the team up to do as such 

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Go again tomorrow night. It’ll be a completely different AG.

The game is under lights, a mass of Baggies fans behind the goal in the Atyeo and two very decent teams trying to grab the 3 points.

WBA will want to return to winning ways having lost on Saturday and City wanting the same having conceded a very late equaliser against Wigan.

I have a strong feeling that it’s going to be a terrific game..........:fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

What on earth did you expect - I suspect if you sit in the most expensive seats in any ground you are hardly going to be among chants and singing.

Mind you, a lot has happened in 15 years, if that's your benchmark - you missed a great period during the GJ years and Div 1 games vs Swindon were as loud as you might remember - it's all about choosing seats and the game.

It was quid a kid and i bought my girls, we smashed shelf wed 4-0...and it was silent in the Lansdown ?

So, maybe i'll venture to the dolman, I used to be a regular in block B or in the east end - now THAT was some noise in there ?

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Go again tomorrow night. It’ll be a completely different AG.

The game is under lights, a mass of Baggies fans behind the goal in the Atyeo and two very decent teams trying to grab the 3 points.

WBA will want to return to winning ways having lost on Saturday and City wanting the same having conceded a very late equaliser against Wigan.

I have a strong feeling that it’s going to be a terrific game..........:fingerscrossed:

You could be right Robbored - it was a great game up at their place - our chaps gave it a right go and we shocked them at times - there was minimal whinging amongst our fans after because City gave them a real hard game and we appreciated it, we know we can’t win every week but there’s no reason why the lads in red and white can’t have a proper go at the opposition in every game and they certainly did that night - we lost but no complaints....

Archived