IGNORED

Matty Taylor was not offside - our early chance

brady bunch

Just watched back the highlights on BCTV and as I thought at the time (I was in line) the Matty Taylor chance (PAcks long pass over the top, Matty was clear on goal with the keeper retreating) early in the first half at 0-0 was on side. He was level with the defender when the ball was played.

I know its "what ifs", but I suspect with Wigans away form this season, it would have been a different result if we had got the desicion..

We've had quite a few very tight calls of this nature home and away this season- especially since the turn of the year.

Think the Weimann disallowed goals during the unbeaten run- vs Derby, Nottingham Forest away and at home to Swansea. Plus Pisano's v QPR.

Now this.

Just luck or something for the striking coaches to work on?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We've had quite a few very tight calls of this nature home and away this season- especially since the turn of the year.

Think the Weimann disallowed goals during the unbeaten run- vs Derby, Nottingham Forest away and at home to Swansea. Plus Pisano's v QPR.

Now this.

Just luck or something for the striking coaches to work on?

Luck and incorrect enforcement of the rules?

With some of those decisions you mentioned there's no way the linesman could have been certain the player was offside, so must have guessed.

The rule states (or used to) about benefit of doubt towards the attacking side- so either that hasn't been getting given or that's no longer the case.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Luck and incorrect enforcement of the rules?

With some of those decisions you mentioned there's no way the linesman could have been certain the player was offside, so must have guessed.

The rule states (or used to) about benefit of doubt towards the attacking side- so either that hasn't been getting given or that's no longer the case.

I’m sorry but the rule states ‘ benefit of doubt towards the attacking team unless the attacking team is Bristol City ‘

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m sorry but the rule states ‘ benefit of doubt towards the attacking team unless the attacking team is Bristol City ‘

Let's split the difference and say it was 3 wrongly disallowed. I make it one minimum Weimann, not yet found the others. I think we have not been the luckiest in front of goal this season though- woodwork + disallowed rolling total is quite a few now.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's split the difference and say it was 3 wrongly disallowed. I make it one minimum Weimann, not yet found the others. I think we have not been the luckiest in front of goal this season though- woodwork + disallowed rolling total is quite a few now.

Aren't we the team that has hit the woodwork the most this season?

Been over a month since I've seen it said, so maybe someone's caught us up.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Aren't we the team that has hit the woodwork the most this season?

Been over a month since I've seen it said, so maybe someone's caught us up.

Probably right up there if not the most.

I'll look it up sometime but I believe that and the 5 questionable offside decisions might partially explain some of the discontent and feelings of us being terribly dull this season. Think we have hbit woodwork 16 or 17 separate occasions in the League this season though so we'd be near the top if not the top!

At the time I thought the goal keeper seemed to stop as soon as the ref blew his whistle. If there had been no whistle I’m sure he would have reached the ball before Taylor 

He is just off imo so a good call, a couple of inches on and could still have been called off though. It is so quick 'live' and some of them you cannot really blame the lino.

57 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

I thought their winner should have been disallowed as well.The big Wigan forward virtually forearm smashes Kalas in the face as he goes into challenge him. The more I see it the more I feel we were robbed of the win..........

Absolutely right (although it wasn't a winner, it felt like we lost it!).  It should have been a free kick to us in our box and at least a yellow card for their forward.  Pretty sure we would have seen the game out from that.

Tight , but also you have to take into account the Linesman's , sorry , assistant incompetent's angle . From the pic I would guess all he could see is Matt Taylor.  Now if you had mentioned the forearm smash , that would be different. TBF I guess the Ref's angle isn't the best either.

Screenshot 2019-04-08 at 17.23.25.png

2 hours ago, brady bunch said:

Just watched back the highlights on BCTV and as I thought at the time (I was in line) the Matty Taylor chance (PAcks long pass over the top, Matty was clear on goal with the keeper retreating) early in the first half at 0-0 was on side. He was level with the defender when the ball was played.

I know its "what ifs", but I suspect with Wigans away form this season, it would have been a different result if we had got the desicion..

We should have won regardless..

Stop searching for excuses.

12 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

We should have won regardless..

Stop searching for excuses.

It was poor game management in the end. LJ made the right attacking substitutions and we overhauled a one goal deficit as a direct result of his decisions. However, not for the first time this season we were not savvy when it came to closing the game out. Wigan had been threatening to score again and we failed to react appropriately to the warning signs. When the board went up for 5 minutes added time I feared the worst and was frustrated but not in the least surprised when the inevitable happened. City were still playing like they were looking for the third goal. The head coach can do very little in those circumstances. It’s up to the players on the pitch and the more experienced, senior pro’s should have taken charge and shut up shop. We were too open and paid the price.

Archived