IGNORED

Jack Hunt substitution

Antman

did LJ get a word from the 4th official?

i know Hunt got booked for the pull back, then the foul by the touchline was a possible 2nd yellow (would have been harsh)

but it was still unusual to have him subbed that early

I'm not knocking it, 10 men against their passing would have been tough! so it was the right call, but i wondered if the ref had made it clear that was it.

sadly Eros wasn't on such good form as Jack had been up to then so we were weaker at RB.

He really doesn't like to risk a red - subbing Webster on Saturday for the same reason arguably proved costly, but tonight it just about worked although we didn't threaten anything like as much after the substitution down the right.

Jack did bring the WB guy down after his booking but I'm surprised LJ can't trust his defence not to get booked again.

2 minutes ago, Antman said:

did LJ get a word from the 4th official?

i know Hunt got booked for the pull back, then the foul by the touchline was a possible 2nd yellow (would have been harsh)

but it was still unusual to have him subbed that early

I'm not knocking it, 10 men against their passing would have been tough! so it was the right call, but i wondered if the ref had made it clear that was it.

sadly Eros wasn't on such good form as Jack had been up to then so we were weaker at RB.

No need to risk going down to 10 when 3-0 up. Good chance to give Pisano some minutes as well with a cushion (almost chucked that one out the window) 

I feel he was told one more foul and he’s gone. Wasn’t too upset about being subbed

34 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He really doesn't like to risk a red - subbing Webster on Saturday for the same reason arguably proved costly, but tonight it just about worked although we didn't threaten anything like as much after the substitution down the right.

Jack did bring the WB guy down after his booking but I'm surprised LJ can't trust his defence not to get booked again.

I think it was more that LJ couldn't trust the ref tbh.

Without checking, I think it was probably the first foul of the game and a tad harsh/soft and that sets the scene for the rest of the game. Hunt would have probably got a second yellow as he's in the refs sights.

If anything, LJ trusted his sub to do the business after rightly taking off Hunt. 

While it was precautionary for a red card, much like Webster on Saturday, it really limited options later in the game. With 25 minutes to go we were already looking knackered and really needed pace up front and something more in the middle. Weimann and Eliasson coming off for Taylor and Palmer made sense but on the sidelines, LJ, Holden & McAllister seemed unable to make a decision during which time WBA scored. As much as Saturday's positive substitutions turned the match, the dithering these evening nearly cost us, especially as we got deeper and deeper, letting them set up camp in our half. Dangerous tactic considering we are not good with crowded penalty areas under pressure, when it's clear the defenders don't trust the goalie in that situation. O'Leary is a good shot stopper, as he showed tonight, but he doesn't command the penalty box and flaps at crosses or ends up on the floor with the ball going past him.

Was necessary either for fitness or disciplinary reasons but yeah agree with @Dr Balls largely.

Pisano rusty fair enough, older, less adventurous- fine but it did limit our options which in turn that reduced outlet meant WBA had more time, more scope to pressure our defence.

Agree also with a lot of the other point.

Was thinking with 20 left "Get Palmer on, game is becoming stretched- he can push WBA back and get us up the pitch a bit ". Great position of strength had Palmer and Taylor come on at 3-1 say.

So many LJ subs these days. People will soon forget Wigan as either a 'dropped 3points' or as another useful point that helps us to the P. OS - either way his treble sub when 1-0down to Wigan was brilliant and we were withing 90secs of turning that round to a 2-1win!

Last night the Hunt sub was very sensible and so was the Jay dS O e - gave our loanee the chance to hear a standing ovation from an appreciative and admiring home crowd. And JsD was outstanding too. 

Well done Lee. You are simply the best English manager outside the Prem. With only Harris serving a longer spell, this Forum is 100% (I believe) in awe and admiration of you. 

On 09/04/2019 at 23:04, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

No need to risk going down to 10 when 3-0 up. Good chance to give Pisano some minutes as well with a cushion (almost chucked that one out the window) 

I feel he was told one more foul and he’s gone. Wasn’t too upset about being subbed

He looked absolutely fumming tbh that he was subbed 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

He wasn't happy initially, but good man management from LJ for explaining fully his decision before allowing Hunt to take his place on the bench.  Diffused it immediately.  It was the sensible call to make at 3-0 and I messaged my mates a few minutes before to say that's what I'd do given the situation.  100% the right call and handled correctly.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Any player would be fuming to have got carded so early and had to come off in such a big game. Frustration more than anything else, don't think he would disagree with the decision to be subbed at all. 

Archived