IGNORED

Steve Lansdown's recruitment policy

Port Said Red

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

What a fantastic night, and result. LJ [Ethan] has massively exceeded my expectations.........and is proving to be an exceptional coach/manager. Congrats to the whole management team.......Sheff Utd, Boro, WBA........Villa?

More twists yet, in MI there are lots of points where you think that Ethan Hunt and his team have been outmanoeuvred only to turn the tables on the opposition.

This absolutely isn't intended to be a gloating 'told you so' type post, but if we do make the top 6 I'd be interested to hear the views of anybody who was critical because SL didn't splash the cash in January. Have you changed your mind on that now, or still think we should have strengthened further? I repeat, this is a respectful question.

*albeit this is hypothetical and premature at the mo!

50 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

This absolutely isn't intended to be a gloating 'told you so' type post, but if we do make the top 6 I'd be interested to hear the views of anybody who was critical because SL didn't splash the cash in January. Have you changed your mind on that now, or still think we should have strengthened further? I repeat, this is a respectful question.

Can you  honestly think  that we wouldn’t have scored more or picked up more points with someone like Gayle or Assombalonga in the side ? 

Frankly it is nothing short of miraculous that we approach the final six matches with only two players on double figures for the season and in with a serious shout of a playoff place .

A credit to LJ for making the most of what he has.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Can you  honestly think  that we wouldn’t have scored more or picked up more points with someone like Gayle or Assombalonga in the side ? 

Frankly it is nothing short of miraculous that we approach the final six matches with only two players on double figures for the season and in with a serious shout of a playoff place .

We made the final before with none on double figures.

Yes, it is very much short of miraculous.

Would have loved Assombalonga on loan but credit to all.

The other good thing is that though we may only have 2 with double figures, they also create for others- and this can sometimes be overlooked with strikers but Weimann and his flexibility gives assists- Taylor and his mix of energy and technical ability give assists. Big boost strikers who can contribute in this way, not all sides have this.

Taylor and Weimann have 5 apiece.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

We may well of scored more, but we’d prob be more open to accommodate them, thus conceding more,

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We may well of scored more, but we’d prob be more open to accommodate them, thus conceding more,

Possibly but  looking at the quality of our defence and the general overall energy of the team I believe that the advantages of having a natural goalscorer available  outweigh the inconvenience.

The question asked was does anyone still feel that SL was wrong not to authorise the signing of Assombalonga or A.N. Other proven scorer in January ?

I still feel  it was an opportunity missed , despite our excellent run and Weimann suddenly finding his shooting boots , it could come back to haunt us in tight matches where opportunities are very limited.

We miss far too many chances .

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

More twists yet, in MI there are lots of points where you think that Ethan Hunt and his team have been outmanoeuvred only to turn the tables on the opposition.

I will definitely in future be referring to LJ as EH!  ?

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Possibly but  looking at the quality of our defence and the general overall energy of the team I believe that the advantages of having a natural goalscorer available  outweigh the inconvenience.

The question asked was does anyone still feel that SL was wrong not to authorise the signing of Assombalonga or A.N. Other proven scorer in January ?

I still feel  it was an opportunity missed , despite our excellent run and Weimann suddenly finding his shooting boots , it could come back to haunt us in tight matches where opportunities are very limited.

Tricky one isn't it.

Because Weimann, Diedhiou and Taylor as a collective when added up have 25 goals...throw in the 12 assists though and the dynamic changes.

Would a 'natural' goalscorer bring as much to them- well it depends who it is of course, but as much to the team as those 3 in their varying ways do? Not just in terms of assists but team play, energy and at times excellent technical ability.

Bear in mind Weimann was on the left for decent chunks of the season and shunted around a bit- classic case of versatility being a strength and a weakness- and his record is not bad! 10 goals, 5 assists...plus 3 disallowed during the run. The one at Nottingham Forest was clearly onside and the other 2 I'm undecided on. His energy, his early runs...

The other side of the coin though is the number of times we have hit the woodwork. That is the chances aspect or a decent indicator- I'm losing count but it must be approaching 20 surely.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tricky one isn't it.

Because Weimann, Diedhiou and Taylor as a collective when added up have 25 goals...throw in the 12 assists though and the dynamic changes.

Would a 'natural' goalscorer bring as much to them- well it depends who it is of course, but as much to the team as those 3 in their varying ways do? Not just in terms of assists but team play, energy and at times excellent technical ability.

Bear in mind Weimann was on the left for decent chunks of the season and shunted around a bit- classic case of versatility being a strength and a weakness- and his record is not bad! 10 goals, 5 assists...plus 3 disallowed during the run. The one at Nottingham Forest was clearly onside and the other 2 I'm undecided on. His energy, his early runs...

The other side of the coin though is the number of times we have hit the woodwork. That is the chances aspect or a decent indicator- I'm losing count but it must be approaching 20 surely.

The commentators must surely have mentioned it when DaSilva hit the post last night?

There, I've just given you an excuse to watch the whole game again, you're welcome.

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It was wrong because his wages were well outside our price range,

we’ve seen first hand what upsetting a close not squad with overpaid players can do,

look at the season after the playoff final and what happened in the following years as a example

teamspirit is more important to us then any player is

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The commentators must surely have mentioned it when DaSilva hit the post last night?

There, I've just given you an excuse to watch the whole game again, you're welcome.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wouldn't know- was at the game plus don't even have Sky! ?

Will be up on BCTV before long.

From memory Sky games go up as the sky program but with HT punditry cut out. That's how it was for the Man Utd game last season anyway.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Thanks. I think the thought I had was that regardless of whether SL was prepared to stump up, and / or whether somebody like Assombalonga would have wanted to join, my guess is that they would have become top earner instantly. If so would that have been disruptive to what seems like a tight knit group? Or perhaps the other players would have welcomed the quality and not given a monkeys?

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

we’ve seen first hand what upsetting a close not squad with overpaid players can do,

look at the season after the playoff final and what happened in the following years as a example

100% agree with this. 

Assombalonga is obviously a very talented footballer and a good goal scorer but we have seen first hand in the past what a poor influence can have on the team (think Tomlin). 

What we have now is more important than talented individuals, and that's a group of players willing to work for 90 minutes for each other in order to get the win. 

Last night, look at O'Leary's reaction when the final whistle blew, or Diedhiou's reaction at winning a throw in towards the end, or Taylor's after he had won a throw in in the corner. 

Yes we don't have the talent on paper that the likes of West Brom or Villa have but we make up for that with DNA or team spirit and who knows what a signing such as Assmobalonga/Hogan would have done to that

Just wondering if not having a 100% striker is perhaps part of the plan ?

If you have a 100% striker.  The other team can look at 1 player and try to nulify him.

But if you have that spread across the team, wouldnt it make you more difficult to play?  As if one attack doesnt work, make a sub and hey presto a new attack

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Our squad and their wages have gone through upgrades . I am not too sure that players get jealous of others if they merit the higher pay and help  bring more success , silverware, win bonuses , prestige to the existing squad.

Where  it causes problems is pricks like Tomlin who plays for himself and largely takes the piss out of the others . 

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

100% agree with this. 

Assombalonga is obviously a very talented footballer and a good goal scorer but we have seen first hand in the past what a poor influence can have on the team (think Tomlin). 

What we have now is more important than talented individuals, and that's a group of players willing to work for 90 minutes for each other in order to get the win. 

Last night, look at O'Leary's reaction when the final whistle blew, or Diedhiou's reaction at winning a throw in towards the end, or Taylor's after he had won a throw in in the corner. 

Yes we don't have the talent on paper that the likes of West Brom or Villa have but we make up for that with DNA or team spirit and who knows what a signing such as Assmobalonga/Hogan would have done to that

Who knows but LJ would have liked the chance to manage a situation with BA or SH in his squad.

I reiterate that it is miraculous that we’re in the top six without a natural goalscorer .

I just hope that we don’t get done  by a Tammy Abraham goal at Wembley after having dominated Villa for ninety minutes and having hit the bar twice ! 

4 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I still think we should have picked up a striker, however it had to be the right person and I trust the people in charge to know the character and personality they want in the dressing room. If that wasn't available in our price range then so be it.

I don't know the answer to this but has a team ever splashed big in January and "gone for it" from a play off position and failed to make it? I'm guessing it must have happened a few times?

Archived