IGNORED

Lee Johnson - doing a fantastic job

reddogkev

I bloody love you, Lee! 

Have to tip my hat to the man and admire what he is doing with City, it's easy to take things for granted as and when they happen, but his success with City (so far) is pretty impressive.

He's making me eat some of my words; I didn't believe he could turn City into a team good enough / well-equipped to win promotion, but he is doing just that.  I'm not saying we will certainly win promotion, it's a lottery and we still have to seal the top 6 place, but my God I'm impressed with the manner of these wins against some of the better teams in the league.

Well done, Lee, and the players, keep up the quality work.  I now have 100% confidence that if City don't go up this season, it seems likely to happen soon under LJ's leadership.

Another thing I love, OTIB is now free of depression and the bitter remarks / snide retorts from the small group of OTIB users who seemed to despise Lee with a passion. 

I still think promotion is a long way off, but it’s still been a cracking season.

The main thing for me is how with the continuity of LJ we’ve continued to developed and improve season on season - some of the changes rapid, some slow. Some changes the fans could see straight away, some we couldn’t and some we needed time to see.

LJ has pretty much turned every negative comment thrown at him and thrown it right back. Anyone who doubts LJ has the credentials, ability or personality to be a successful manager just gives more fuel to his progression. 

A real example of patience, vision, self-belief and sticking by the right man and the plan, even in the face of adversity.

What an amazing position to be in with 6 games to go, a real chance to upset the books and achieve a fairytale promotion that would surely be one of the ‘greatest’ in premier league history.

Whether by accident or design, he seems to be doing a great job. I certainly give him credit for signing some great replacements for "our 3 best players" who left last year, and I like his flexibility in tactics and formations. However, reading his recent post match comments, he often appears surprised by his own success; and indeed some of his failures.

Even LJs fiercest critics can’t deny that he’s doing a fantastic job this season and within the strategy laid down by SL.

No doubt at that he’s a clever tactician - how many other managers would have played regular CB Webdini in midfield last night? That smart move completely caught the Baggies by surprise - along with the guys sat around me - and we’re 3 up inside 20 mins.

His communication skills are top drawer as well. He wears his heart on his sleeve and says it as it is.He always mentions us fans being an important factor in matches particularly at AG. That’s  not something you hear from many other head coaches.

Its taken him almost three seasons to get the players he wants and trained them to play to his philosophy. Keep it on the ground as much as possible with lots of movement off the ball to provide more options and most of the time it works.

Well as you all know I've always been a LJ out man, but he has turned my head, if I ever do get the chance to meet him I'd shake his hand, never thought I'd ever say it but well done LEE JOHNSON, I even joined in last night with Johnson says bounce around the ground, may it carry on, 

Regardless of what happens this season, the overiding memory will be the togetherness of the squad and coaches.

I've not witnessed such harmony and fighting spirit at a club for a long time.

Everyone digging in for one another...no malice...just total team spirit and togetherness.

Something to be said for that much mocked DNA.

30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I bloody love you, Lee! 

Have to tip my hat to the man and admire what he is doing with City, it's easy to take things for granted as and when they happen, but his success with City (so far) is pretty impressive.

He's making me eat some of my words; I didn't believe he could turn City into a team good enough / well-equipped to win promotion, but he is doing just that.  I'm not saying we will certainly win promotion, it's a lottery and we still have to seal the top 6 place, but my God I'm impressed with the manner of these wins against some of the better teams in the league.

Well done, Lee, and the players, keep up the quality work.  I now have 100% confidence that if City don't go up this season, it seems likely to happen soon under LJ's leadership.

Another thing I love, OTIB is now free of depression and the bitter remarks / snide retorts from the small group of OTIB users who seemed to despise Lee with a passion. 

Wether we get in the play offs or not , it’s been a season of progression. I never fully trusted LJ at all but I’m very happy to say he’s won me over . Some of his tactics to outwit some very good managers and teams need to be applauded. What’s more important is , you can tell the players trust him. 

36 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I bloody love you, Lee! 

Yeah but he's still playing people out of position.    :facepalm:

He did it with Bobby Reid, now he's doing it with Adam Webster!!!

Clueless!!    :rofl2br:

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Regardless of what happens this season, the overiding memory will be the togetherness of the squad and coaches.

Everyone digging in for one another...no malice...just total team spirit and togetherness.

Got to agree. No big names, no superstars. It works for us, a genuinely hungry group of players who have bonded well and have the ability to learn and progress. No one is here just looking for the pay cheque, no one is here for the easy life at the end of their  career. Must be a bit strange for the loan players though,  being a big part of something they may not continue.

In a strange way it’s almost like we had to move some of the players on after last season to be able to progress, even the ones we thought were vital to the team. Funny old game.

Edit: By move them I don’t mean we pushed them out of the door, not all of them. They wanted career moves but maybe LJ could visualise the team without them better than some of us. Them going gave him the chance to change things we might not have got if they had all stayed.

30 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Wonder how MA felt last night? On his own admission the Baggies are HIS team ! :cool:

I thought he was from Stoke? Apparently he gave a talk to staff at the beginning of the year and predicted from a dream it would be us at Wembley vs WBA

He's gone up a lot in my estimation because last evening, he made the positional change that I suggested long before Christmas. 

To play Webster as the holding midfielder in front of a back four! (*)

When he finally gets the sack, I hereby stake my claim for the Head Coach position as I know for a certainty that I can do the job better than him.

(*) I forgot to send the message to LJ at the time.

Cracking game wasn't it with two sides playing football, without much skullduggery, diving, nasty fouls and clearly at the end a good deal of respect for each other. Good referee as well. A very good advert for Championship football.

As a critic of LJ, who desperately wanted him sacked over the previous 2 seasons,  he has to be supported for this season whether we get in the play offs or fall away. Playing Webster in midfield last night was a bit of a master stroke which I didn’t think he had in him.  

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Those that trumpeted "DNA" and all that lacked the humility or awareness to acknowledge that this aspect of recruitment was something we were aiming for, working towards, looking to develop, and not as yet, something we have got in the bag, licked, perfected, something we can do in our sleep, never fail at.

As the humbling experience of Lee Tomlin undoubtedly brought home to them.

It is greatly to their credit that they have learned lessons from previous mistakes in this regard, and learned quickly (those that continue to insist we "never learn" baffle me somewhat). The "togetherness" you rightly draw attention to is in stark contrast to this time last season. Wonderful to see (although I think Weimann needs to "assist" Fam soon, after last night).

LJ has done wonders for this club turning us from relegation fodder to premiership hopefuls. I been wrong in the past about him and proved a lot of City fans wrong but he is the best thing that’s happened to Bristol City in a Generation and is improving year in year out. He will take us to the promised land if we can keep him.

Well Done Lee and the boys

An area where Johnson has moved us forward hugely imo, in addition to tactics and general management, is the employment of skulduggery. We are not as nice to play against as we were and little tricks like Webster warming up in a back 5 last night made the Sky pundits and West Brom management look like mugs.

For Sky pundits to call the game out and telling everyone in their “expert opinion” that WBA would destroy us in midfield with Jake Livermore being the “Sandwell Pirlo” and then to see what actually happened, especially that first twenty minutes, was Shithousery Gold!!

Much improved, and the points on the board are there for all to see.

I have one caveat - and that is game management when time is running down.

Matty Taylor did more to save the lead in 2 minutes than LJ did in most of the 2nd half.

He has to learn how to adapt against a rampant competitor other than just put 10 behind the ball.

Taylor not shooting and running to the corner was brilliant.

LJ needs to learn that sometimes continuing to be positive is the best way to negate the other team.

Other than that - he's learning, and long may it continue

14 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Much improved, and the points on the board are there for all to see.

I have one caveat - and that is game management when time is running down.

Matty Taylor did more to save the lead in 2 minutes than LJ did in most of the 2nd half.

He has to learn how to adapt against a rampant competitor other than just put 10 behind the ball.

Taylor not shooting and running to the corner was brilliant.

LJ needs to learn that sometimes continuing to be positive is the best way to negate the other team.

Other than that - he's learning, and long may it continue

One thing I did wonder about as it was getting tense and we were under the cosh a bit- Palmer.

He could have in the last 20 given us the extra impetus to pen them back a bit, to perhaps exploit some desperation on their part. Palmer and Taylor even for Weimann and Eliasson? Bit more centrally, bit more energy- fresh impetus to run at the opposition, or break on an increasingly desperate opposition while still 3-1.

He is still doing great work though.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing I did wonder about as it was getting tense and we were under the cosh a bit- Palmer.

He could have in the last 20 given us the extra impetus to pen them back a bit, to perhaps exploit some desperation on their part. Palmer and Taylor even for Weimann and Eliasson? Bit more centrally, bit more energy- fresh impetus to run at the opposition, or break on an increasingly desperate opposition while still 3-1.

He is still doing great work though.

That's why he brought Taylor on I reckon, and I think taylor's work ethic is higher than Palmer's with regards to closing down etc. (That's not a dig at Palmer btw)

Not sure if the end of that game was right for Palmer, would have definitely taken Eliasson off for Kelly, and pushed DaSilva up slightly though

I admire LJ for his spirit and determination as much as anything. Things have been absolutely poisonous at times, both in the stands and the dressing room, but he's survived, learnt, adapted and matured into a head coach we can be proud of.

Barring a disasterous run of results in our remaining games, he must surely now have full support from all of us.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The last time we had such harmony and fighting spirit at this level was with another Johnson as manager and his team got into the play offs.

level

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

I admire LJ for his spirit and determination as much as anything. Things have been absolutely poisonous at times, both in the stands and the dressing room, but he's survived, learnt, adapted and matured into a head coach we can be proud of.

Barring a disasterous run of results in our remaining games, he must surely now have full support from all of us.

We readied him for management, here, ten, twelve years ago. Schooled him. Like we did Sean Dyche. And Moyes and McClaren. We put him through the ringer. Then tested him again, in 2017.

I think we can be satisfied with our work. One day, we will be thanked, and recognised; for our, er, expertise, our feedback, our candour, our fickleness. Our bile. And our bedsheets.

2 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

LJ has done wonders for this club turning us from relegation fodder to premiership hopefuls. I been wrong in the past about him and proved a lot of City fans wrong but he is the best thing that’s happened to Bristol City in a Generation and is improving year in year out. He will take us to the promised land if we can keep him.

Well Done Lee and the boys

Yep, totally agree - and it does seem that Lee still has massive potential as a manager to develop.

Archived