IGNORED

Niclas Eliasson

Lez

It's strange to think that this time last year Eliasson was labelled as another Engvall.....I think everyone would have taken the impact he has made so far this season.

I really do rate him, especially at home. He is direct, he works hard, he creates, he gets into goalscoring positions.

What a success story this season, hopefully he keeps it up, I really do think we have a bit of a rough diamond.....even if he does need to brush up in certain areas

Just watched the highlights...............great viewing. I really like Elliasson, but on three occasions, 1 shot and 2 excellent crossing positions, he has his head up too far and overhits/skies the opportunities.  He is young and improving, so I'm sure he'll sort it out, but very frustrating that he didn't make more use of his very good positional play.      'Rock on Nic'.

He is another player in this team that just gets better and has benefited from LJ's patience. He is still learning - a couple of wayward passes just outside the 18 yard box in the second half that led to West Brom attacks, and also that shot/blast on goal when he should have squared it. That aside he gave them the run around all night !    

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

true, make it 30 million

If Andy Carroll can go for 35, no reason why we can't get that for Niclas...

Silly logic, because one transfer was overpriced 9 years ago means it'll happen all the time of course ?

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Why? We sold players with lesser ability for a fair whack and considering his age and the fact he’s come on leaps and bounds 

Wingers like Tom Ince, David Brooks, Adam Traore, Nacer Chaldi and Xherdan Shariqiri all went for under 20m at the start of this season. In fact most of those went for 10-13m mark (which is still very good)

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Other than Shaquiri, I'd have Eliasson over any of them.

Brookes plays central more often than wide.

Out of 33 games for Blades last season, he was a winger 3 times, and in his career has played nearly double the amount of games in a central position than as a winger.

Meant to quote @Sturny

True but he's been bought by Bournemouth to play as a winger

26 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Silly logic, because one transfer was overpriced 9 years ago means it'll happen all the time of course ?

Wingers like Tom Ince, David Brooks, Adam Traore, Nacer Chaldi and Xherdan Shariqiri all went for under 20m at the start of this season. In fact most of those went for 10-13m mark (which is still very good)

And we got 15 million for Kodjia, the Swede has the potential to be a much better player than him. 

Thinking about it, 30 million would be too little. Let's use a bit of gaslogic and take it up to 40

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And we got 15 million for Kodjia, the Swede has the potential to be a much better player than him. 

Thinking about it, 30 million would be too little. Let's use a bit of gaslogic and take it up to 40

I'll have what he's having 

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think I'd still take Eliasson over him. Though Eliasson on the left and Brooks on the right would be a pretty exciting set up.

Everyone to their own but I couldn't disagree more with the first statement or agree more with the second 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

whoosh ? 

Right now I don't think we could sell him as teams wouldn't meet our valuation, in a couple of years though I see no reason why we couldn't get 15 million plus if he keeps on improving at the rate he is. 

Although by then we'll be in Europe and he'll be in the running for the Balon D'or so we wouldn't be selling him anyway

I rate Eliasson highly and thought he played very well last night. His crossing has always been good but it seems like other aspects of his game have improved - mainly his confidence in taking the ball past defenders and his physicality (he’s not the strongest of players but he was certainly getting stuck in last night). 

I imagine many of you did the same as me when he signed for us...... Straight onto you tube and look him up fifa /fm. 

On YouTube he looked like a cross between Greg goodridge & Brian tinnion. A skilful quick player who had exceptional crossing ability from open play and set pieces. 

Now we are starting to see what I saw originally. Goes to show what a bit of patience and hard work can bring. 

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I imagine many of you did the same as me when he signed for us...... Straight onto you tube and look him up fifa /fm. 

On YouTube he looked like a cross between Greg goodridge & Brian tinnion. A skilful quick player who had exceptional crossing ability from open play and set pieces. 

Now we are starting to see what I saw originally. Goes to show what a bit of patience and hard work can bring. 

I know they were team mates but I didn't realise they were that close 

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Eliasson over Brooks? Fair play that's a funny one.

Not half as funny as some of the guff you've produced in the past.

You also missed the "I think", suggesting it's not a cut and dry decision. I just feel Eliasson is more suited to our team than what I've seen from Brooks, not that he's a superior player.

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not half as funny as some of the guff you've produced in the past.

You also missed the "I think", suggesting it's not a cut and dry decision. I just feel Eliasson is more suited to our team than what I've seen from Brooks, not that he's a superior player.

It's not even close. Deary me.

50 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Everyone to their own but I couldn't disagree more with the first statement or agree more with the second 

Some get a bit carried away on here.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Very promising. His crossing is first rate, but he needs to stop panicking when shooting. Early days - look how Raheem Sterling has improved in that way over the last couple of years.

I hope this season is more than a blip and we're able to cement our place in the upper third of the Championship - hopefully even higher.  But if we are able to do this, we then have to consider changing our player buying strategy to the extent that we don't have the capacity (in terms of game time) to nurture and develop players such as Eliasson.  Or whether we should be buying players who already have that experience, ability and physicality (ie expensive players)

Despite being critical of much before this season, one of the most satisfying elements of Lee Johnson's time in charge has been watching players like Eliasson, Brownhill, Paterson and O'Dowda grow and develop.  Valuation is less relevant, I just like seeing young players improve and become matchday squad regulars.  Will we have that luxury in the future?  I would argue that we are already struggling to accommodate some of our bright young prospects.

Archived