IGNORED

It's our Cup Final, Saturday ....

Bristol Oil Services

8 hours ago, daored said:

On Talk Sport this morning they were talking about this game and they said when Villa win they’ll be guaranteed a play off spot on Saturday. On that basis if we were to win we would be two points clear of them with a game in hand. Feet up for the remaining league games!! The media love in for Villa and Derby is embarrassing 

Will make it all that more enjoyable if we get a result up there COYR.

22 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

I agree your spot on I concede to the best fan of the best club in the world. Up the villa right up em I say

Let’s see how long it takes them to start throwing ? at their manager if they don’t go up again 

On 10/04/2019 at 14:05, Monkeh said:

Not at all, villa are nothing but an above average championship club like us

On 10/04/2019 at 14:07, phantom said:

Agree, it's just another league game

Let's hope the players don't treat it like a cup final, as they'll have another come down like the Wigan fixture

Not at all and disagree. It is a cup final (of one sort or another) and let's hope the players do treat it like a bloody cup final! They might play well! If other teams have their 'big day out' and a 'massive game' against us then, what with us not being top of the pecking order of club sizes,  this is our cup final!! It's a phrase. A metaphor. So we can give it whatphor.

That said, I think there may have been an arched eyebrow in the opening comment. Still, you can't get through to everyone. Even using the lowest of the low senses of humour.

Now, where's me tin foil league table to take on Saturday...

1 hour ago, Huntstile Red said:

Not at all and disagree. It is a cup final (of one sort or another) and let's hope the players do treat it like a bloody cup final! They might play well! If other teams have their 'big day out' and a 'massive game' against us then, what with us not being top of the pecking order of club sizes,  this is our cup final!! It's a phrase. A metaphor. So we can give it whatphor.

That said, I think there may have been an arched eyebrow in the opening comment. Still, you can't get through to everyone. Even using the lowest of the low senses of humour.

It's a big game for both teams but neither really needs to win.  Even a defeat for either side would not see them drop out of the top 6.

For both teams, the target has to be 3 wins from the remaining fixtures.  It may not even need that. 

23 hours ago, RumRed said:

A large percentage of the country see themselves as atheists or agnostics.  I highly doubt many people pray over a football match.

Your use of ‘the promised land’ is also a little iffy, I don’t know any one that uses that term about the top division in the country?

How about trying Elysian Fields in future, at least go Greek for a change. 

As I keep suggesting to the wife.

5 minutes ago, Greedo said:

that’s not an acronym 

acronym — noun 

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words and pronounced as a separate word, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation. 

a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism. 

an acrostic. 

— verb (used with object) 

to make an acronym of: The committee's name has been acronymed MIKE. 

Origin: First recorded in 1940–45; acr- + -onym

— Related forms 
ac·ro·nym·ic , 
a·cron·y·mous [ uh - kron - uh -m uh s] /əˈkrɒn ə məs/ , adjective 
ac·ro·nym·i·cal·ly , adverb 

Can be confused: abbreviation acronym initialism

2 hours ago, Huntstile Red said:

Tin foil League Table.... Quality

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

acronym — noun 

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words and pronounced as a separate word, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation. 

a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism. 

an acrostic. 

— verb (used with object) 

to make an acronym of: The committee's name has been acronymed MIKE. 

Origin: First recorded in 1940–45; acr- + -onym

— Related forms 
ac·ro·nym·ic , 
a·cron·y·mous [ uh - kron - uh -m uh s] /əˈkrɒn ə məs/ , adjective 
ac·ro·nym·i·cal·ly , adverb 

Can be confused: abbreviation acronym initialism

Sorry to hold your feet to the fire Mr RR (and you can call the play offs whatever you want as far as Im concerned) but didnt you suggest that PL was an acronym, which as you have illustrated, it is not?

On 10/04/2019 at 23:23, Robbored said:

Acronyms - Premier League - PL.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

acronym — noun 

a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism. 

Congratulations on proving your own point wrong :cool2:

Archived