IGNORED

4th, 5th, or 6th?

Negan

Now I’m not suggesting a play off place is guaranteed but looking at how it’s shaping up where would you rather us finish? If I’m honest I don’t think I’d want to play West Brom over 2 legs, I know we COULD beat them both home and away but would be a hard task for us to accomplish. I’m hoping Sheffield United finish 3rd and we finish 6th. I’d fancy our chances of getting to the final then and playing either West Brom/Villa in a one off. How the top 6 is currently is how I see it finishing personally, with a Bristol City vs Aston Villa final... 

Thing with having a good record Vs Sheef U. I remember going to Cardiff in the PO’s many years ago, seem to remember we had a brilliant record against them, and I thought we were sure to get through. Lost 1-0, and 0-0 at home. It doesn’t really matter who we get, all though. Tough run to even get there , starting Saturday. 

18 minutes ago, Negan said:

Now I’m not suggesting a play off place is guaranteed but looking at how it’s shaping up where would you rather us finish? If I’m honest I don’t think I’d want to play West Brom over 2 legs, I know we COULD beat them both home and away but would be a hard task for us to accomplish. I’m hoping Sheffield United finish 3rd and we finish 6th. I’d fancy our chances of getting to the final then and playing either West Brom/Villa in a one off. How the top 6 is currently is how I see it finishing personally, with a Bristol City vs Aston Villa final... 

Just want us to beat Villa on Saturday first

Don’t want to play Villa or Leeds over 2 legs and despite our home form I would want to pack the gate with a home second leg so my preferred final 6 would be :-

1. Norwich

2. Leeds

3. Sheffield United

4. Bristol City

5. West Brom

6. Aston Villa

Can see that being the final 6 finishing places and the final being Sheffield United vs Bristol City ??

To be honest guys, if we want to make it we don't have to think about opponents. Our team needs to go on the pitch with a great morale and we know this league, if you put Wigan into the playoffs anything can happen. We have a pretty strong team, i can say that is better than Blade's one.

We won against brom, sheffield. We had good games against Norwich, we can beat Villa Saturday. So...we just have to qualify for playoffs and get it from there.

I'd rather finish 6th and face the team that misses out on auto promotion. It's likely that they will miss out on the last day, with a very high points total and would not relish having to pick themselves up for a trip to Ashton Gate.

WBA however know that they will be in the playoffs and have a few weeks to prepare themselves.

With our tough end to the season - those 2 away games look tricky, even with our fine form - anything in the top 6 would be impressive.

6th place will do nicely for me.  Then we can still fly under the radar, be quickly dismissed by all the pundits, and sneak into the Premier League through the back door.

If we get there I wouldn’t mind having the home leg first.  If we are still in the tie after the home leg I’d back is against anyone on the road.  I fear there are still lots more twists to come this season.  One game at a time and try to enjoy us being in the mix at the right end of the table.

I honestly think with Sheff U we have a bit of an edge over them psychologically at the moment, and if they miss out on auto promotion it could be a huge blow to them and deflating. West Brom and Villa styles will give us chances to get goals against them, and I wouldn't be too worried about them. West Brom will have huge pressure to go up after coming down and sacking their manager only a few weeks ago as well.

The one I don't want is Leeds, they just recently seem to look solid and do a job against us no matter how we or they play.

I would still snap your arm off to go into the game against Hull 4 points clear of 7th, and finish 6th. 

You could make the argument that any of the other clubs in the playoff places deserve a shot at promotion, whereas we're the tinpot club that Premier League fans only know of because of the cups.

For that reason, I don't care who we go up against, because we'd need to prove ourselves against the "bigger" team anyway.

Frankly, promotion hadn't even been on my mind at all this season, and it's a struggle to see how we'd deal with the Premier League right now. There is no recipe for success - overspending causes a QPR/Fulham, and underspending or relying on top Championship talent goes down all the time.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

I'd rather finish 6th and face the team that misses out on auto promotion. It's likely that they will miss out on the last day, with a very high points total and would not relish having to pick themselves up for a trip to Ashton Gate.

WBA however know that they will be in the playoffs and have a few weeks to prepare themselves.

This. Finish 6 th and play a deflated blades who just missed the auto spot on last day. They won’t fancy playing us again. That said I’d back this City team against anyone in a knock out, Johnson does seem able to get his players to raise their game for the big shows. 

4 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

This. Finish 6 th and play a deflated blades who just missed the auto spot on last day. They won’t fancy playing us again. That said I’d back this City team against anyone in a knock out, Johnson does seem able to get his players to raise their game for the big shows. 

Apart from Leeds!

3 hours ago, Negan said:

I said exactly the same to the Mrs two days ago!

still so annoyed how the pundit on quest last night said “villa will be in the play offs”  hope he knows the lottery numbers aswell, he also said every team down to shef we’d can get in play offs??? Makes no sense if to his logic only 6th is to play for! A1 ****t

4 minutes ago, Bcfccity said:

I said exactly the same to the Mrs two days ago!

still so annoyed how the pundit on quest last night said “villa will be in the play offs”  hope he knows the lottery numbers aswell, he also said every team down to shef we’d can get in play offs??? Makes no sense if to his logic only 6th is to play for! A1 ****t

Curtis Davies was spouting a load of nonsense last night about the team finishing 6th having the confidence and mostly going on to win promotion.

He couldn't be more wrong. 6th place teams have the worst record in playoff wins.

The 3rd place team has been promoted 11 times, 4th place 6 times, 5th place 9 times and 6th place only 5.

Good old pundits eh!

Teams that are guaranteed playoff places with a couple/few games left will in all likelihood start resting players, look after any little niggling injuries, and have plenty of time to work on the little things that playing week in week out maybe gives you less time for (all small % items that mount up). This alone will be a huge factor, as going into the playoffs they will be fresher, had more prep and probably more relaxed. So I am hoping we can be one of those teams, and not chugging up to the playoffs out of breather, knackered with tired legs, little injuries, and little prep time.

Archived