IGNORED

If your THINKING of going to Millwall by train

Split tickets and group save are your best options.

If your starting your journey from Bristol Temple meads

Please get the ticket/s issued from your favourite football station PARSON STREET

So its a day return from Parson street to Didcot parkway using group save

Day return  from Didcot parkway to South Bermondsey again using group save

These tickets can be bought on the day and can be used on any train and at any time

THE ONLY RESTRICTION IS THE TRAIN MUST STOP AT DIDCOT PARKWAY

• Admin
1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Split tickets and group save are your best options.

If your starting your journey from Bristol Temple meads

Please get the ticket/s issued from your favourite football station PARSON STREET

So its a day return from Parson street to Didcot parkway using group save

Day return  from Didcot parkway to South Bermondsey again using group save

These tickets can be bought on the day and can be used on any train and at any time

THE ONLY RESTRICTION IS THE TRAIN MUST STOP AT DIDCOT PARKWAY

Hi @Never to the dark side

To get a "day return" does the train have to depart the same day or arrive the same day?

Seems to be different on different websites

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hi @Never to the dark side

To get a "day return" does the train have to depart the same day or arrive the same day?

Seems to be different on different websites

I think the usual requirement, according to previous threads. Is that you arrive back before you depart. At least get back before kick off. I think thats right.

40 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Because @Never to the dark side said so...... and he is Mr Trains!

Its something to do with making the station look busier but not costing anymore....

So @Never to the dark side what is the actual point of making the station look busier?

There won't be any more or any less trains, so why the effort?

3 hours ago, RiverRed said:

Why is the bit about Didcot Parkway SHOUTED? Is it a terrible place? 

It is, but more relevantly under the vagaries of British Rail a trip from Temple Meads to Paddington costs about £200 return. If you split the journey and by a ticket from BTM to Didcot, and one from Didcot to Paddington (you don’t even get off, it’s the same bloody train), it’s about £120.

Bizarre.

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It is, but more relevantly under the vagaries of British Rail a trip from Temple Meads to Paddington costs about £200 return. If you split the journey and by a ticket from BTM to Didcot, and one from Didcot to Paddington (you don’t even get off, it’s the same bloody train), it’s about £120.

Bizarre.

If you are doing that, book it at Temple Meads or over the phone. You can at least request the same seats for "both" journeys. Online you will probably get different seats for the 2 journeys and probably get asked to move at some point because you are in someones reserved seat.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, wood_red said:

If you are doing that, book it at Temple Meads or over the phone. You can at least request the same seats for "both" journeys. Online you will probably get different seats for the 2 journeys and probably get asked to move at some point because you are in someones reserved seat.

Without wanting to tempt fate, all the times I have done this in the past it has worked out perfectly

Luckily the computer must notice a seat free from Didcot to the end of the journey etc

Mind you saying that many IET's down have any reservations anyway - the electronic system never works and the printed tickets are more often than not, not supplied

1 hour ago, Super said:

He is Trains, Planes and Automobiles

Hang on a minute, @Never to the dark side is much more than Trains, Planes and Automobiles. He is and oracle who is considered to provide wise and insightful counsel or prophetic predictions or precognition of the future, inspired by the gods. 

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bizarre.

Thanks for the explanation. Agreed, that's just ludicrous, and this is the 'age of the train' apparently.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Without wanting to tempt fate, all the times I have done this in the past it has worked out perfectly

Luckily the computer must notice a seat free from Didcot to the end of the journey etc

Mind you saying that many IET's down have any reservations anyway - the electronic system never works and the printed tickets are more often than not, not supplied

The system may have changed then since I last tried it. I have done it a couple of times and both times had different seats (booking for a few of us though), back then I didn't really care tbh and would happily move if need be. The last time I rang up and booked and they just selected the seats together. Hopefully the online booking has caught up now.

19 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

I think you will find on that particular night Its cheaper not to split but to buy two Singles Bristol Temple Meads to South Bermondsey @ £23.50ew. Only limited availability but worth booking now

I've got a feeling those are the South West trains from BTM to Waterloo that take FOREVER, compared to the Paddington ones. Fair enough if you're trying to save money, just make sure you're on the right train and don't end up getting a fine!

2 hours ago, bcfcshorey said:

I've got a feeling those are the South West trains from BTM to Waterloo that take FOREVER, compared to the Paddington ones. Fair enough if you're trying to save money, just make sure you're on the right train and don't end up getting a fine!

No these are Great Western via  Paddington. Last available outbound at that price is the 15.30. After that it goes up to £30/32.50 . The return @22.16pm from South Bermondsey arriving Temple Meads @01.30 is still £23.50

Archived