IGNORED

Do we have a psychological issue playing towards the Atyeo?

pl00peh91

I don’t know the stats on this but I feel this season at home we have always played better and scored more goals playing towards the South Stand than the Atyeo. I thought about whether this may be more to do with the fact that we play our first halves usually towards the Atyeo and for whatever reason we often don’t turn up in the first half. However, against West Brom we scored three in 19 minutes in the first half towards the South Stand.

This may be perceived as daft but I wonder if subconsciously the team have been conditioned to have more confidence playing towards our own fans rather than the Atyeo? Or is this simply a by product of the fact that we are a second half team and as such we play better towards the South Stand? Answers on a postcard. 

8 minutes ago, RiverRed said:

if such a thing was possible to do, and fill the Atyeo with home support.

If that happened we might hear some of the chants/songs composed on here.......:cool2:

That said, I think that the away fans are in the Atyeo because the police say it’s easier to keep them in one stand while the home fans vacate AG.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

What about defensively?

Anyone aware which end we concede more?

Davefevs is the stats man.....

Taking into account league games only:

Scored - Atyeo - 7, South Stand - 20

Conceded - Atyeo - 7, South Stand - 16

So it's definitely a factor but affecting both teams. Against West Brom, it was our decision to switch ends and shoot towards South Stand first which I'm sure was pre-planned to try get ahead in the first half.

1 minute ago, BCFC101 said:

So it's definitely a factor but affecting both teams. Against West Brom, it was our decision to switch ends and shoot towards South Stand first which I'm sure was pre-planned to try get ahead in the first half.

Good stuff, out of interest, how did you work that out? I know a few teams have made us swap ends but can't remember which games.

1 minute ago, chowie said:

Good stuff, out of interest, how did you work that out? I know a few teams have made us swap ends but can't remember which games.

The team that doesn't kick off in the first half is the team that chooses the ends, and it was West Brom that kicked off first half ?

As for working out the goals, I just went through each fixture and worked out the ends from memory which tends to be quite good for things like this ?

14 minutes ago, RiverRed said:

If playing towards the away support was a negative factor, then it would make sense to move the away fans to the side stands, if such a thing was possible to do, and fill the Atyeo with home support.

Away fans need to be in a corner or even a section in the top tier. We need to build a circle of supporting noise. Let’s remember whose home it is   

15 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

The team that doesn't kick off in the first half is the team that chooses the ends, and it was West Brom that kicked off first half ?

As for working out the goals, I just went through each fixture and worked out the ends from memory which tends to be quite good for things like this ?

Doesn’t quite work like that does it. Team that wins the toss chooses wether they kick off first or change of ends

It's only natural.

A good point and post, but one that is in some ways sensible, but overlooked.

You will always feel happier playing towards your own fans. Always. Same goes for home side and away side alike- WBA playing towards their end, Wigan towards theirs in performance but not result, could go on- it visibly lifts performance and the 2 feed off each other. A difference is always natural.

Before East End reopened it was often play towards the Atyeo 2nd half, especially if likely to be chasing the game. Now as the home end it's play towards the South Stand.

27 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

So it's definitely a factor but affecting both teams.

I'm amazed, that seems pretty material.

Any chance of splitting it by first half / second half too - i.e. is this trend consistent whichever way round the halves were (and therefore unrelated), or is it driven by half?

Because if the difference remains regardless of half, knowing LJ's desire for small margins, I would be getting the psychologist in and asking questions about the ground. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's only natural.

A good point and post, but one that is in some ways sensible, but overlooked.

You will always feel happier playing towards your own fans. Always.

But that wouldn't explain why the away team also scores more goals attacking our fans, and less attacking their own fans?? 

12 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Doesn’t quite work like that does it. Team that wins the toss chooses wether they kick off first or change of ends

Despite this common perception, it's actually not true - the team that wins the toss chooses ends and the team losing the toss kicks off

• Admin
15 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

2 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

Despite this common perception, it's actually not true - the team that wins the toss chooses ends and the team losing the toss kicks off

image.png

23 minutes ago, Olé said:

Any chance of splitting it by first half / second half too - i.e. is this trend consistent whichever way round the halves were (and therefore unrelated), or is it driven by half?

Because if the difference remains regardless of half, knowing LJ's desire for small margins, I would be getting the psychologist in and asking questions about the ground. 

Not sure what the best way of presenting this is but, out of 21 games...

We kicked towards the Atyeo in the first half 17 times, scoring goals in the first half and 16 in the second. Conceded 11 in the first and in the second.

We kicked towards the South Stand in the first half times, scoring goals (3 of which came against West Brom) and goals in the second half. Conceded in the first and in the second. 

I would say that because we've only kicked towards the South first 4 times there's probably not too much you can take away from these stats in terms of this topic, but we clearly are not a first half team generally.

I feel our crowd can be quite intimidating at times and when we are shooting towards the south stand in the second half i always fancy us to get goals.

The players seem to have connection with us lot in the corner. i reckon they prefer and get more motivated shooting towards the south stand

22 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

Not sure what the best way of presenting this is but, out of 21 games...

We kicked towards the Atyeo in the first half 17 times, scoring goals in the first half and 16 in the second. Conceded 11 in the first and in the second.

We kicked towards the South Stand in the first half times, scoring goals (3 of which came against West Brom) and goals in the second half. Conceded in the first and in the second. 

I would say that because we've only kicked towards the South first 4 times there's probably not too much you can take away from these stats in terms of this topic, but we clearly are not a first half team generally.

Do you know how many games from the 21 we have not scored a single goal attacking the South Stand? Looking at that it's at least 3 games.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

No, I don't think so but WBA  do, they did sod all first half but immediately came alive in 2nd half kicking towards the South Stand. At least we hit the post in 2nd half kicking towards the Atyeo.

Upper lansdown would get my vote. I know people have said there are issues with segregation but there must be a way to modify the acces stairways etc to suit.. Plenty of other clubs manage it..

Agreed! stick em up there out the way. With the away fans behind the goal, they can really get behind the team. Any time i've been high up at an away game, i have felt really disconnected for the game.

Defo stick em up in the lansdown stand.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

And can those of us towards the Atyeo get a discount please? 

1 hour ago, BCFC101 said:

Not sure what the best way of presenting this is but, out of 21 games... [snip]

Thanks for the data - that answers my question exactly, so updating your original notation to include the splits: 

Scored - Atyeo - 7 (5 H1, 2 H2), South Stand - 20 (4 H1, 16 H2)

Conceded - Atyeo - 7 (2 H1, 5 H2), South Stand - 16 (11 H1, 5H2)

And showing it reversed, by half as the primary measure:

Scored - First Half - 9 (5 Atyeo, 4 South), Second Half - 18 (2 Atyeo, 16 South)

Conceded - First Half - 13 (2 Atyeo, 11 South), Second Half - 10 (5 Atyeo, 5 South)

I would say that while City specifically are clearly a second half team at Ashton Gate, the trend in goals between the two ends of the pitch is far more pronounced for BOTH teams, and has no correlation simply to City's slow starts. Given that away teams score equally in the first and second half, why are they scoring far more frequently at the South Stand (16 vs 7). 

There IS something unusual here - 36 goals all at one end of the pitch, 14 at the other. Both teams equally affected. Nothing to do with half or team. It is an interesting psychological question. If it isn't the environment, the only reason I can think is both teams overcompensate knowing the other is attacking their fans, reducing both goals scored and conceded.

25 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

And can those of us towards the Atyeo get a discount please? 

With you on that one!! :)

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Agreed! stick em up there out the way. With the away fans behind the goal, they can really get behind the team. Any time i've been high up at an away game, i have felt really disconnected for the game.

Defo stick em up in the lansdown stand.

Agree 100%. The upper Lansdown, Atyeo side is out of the way and is never full anyway.

Having a whole end given to our rivals gives us a disadvantage. The bigger teams in the league fill it and if deffo helps them. Would have to sort out entrance and exit etc but it’s not impossible. It’s very common for away fans to have a corner out of the way somewhere. 

It would also benefit our atmosphere and the Lansdown may actually make some noise to counter the away fans

Archived