IGNORED

Do we have a psychological issue playing towards the Atyeo?

pl00peh91

4 hours ago, Olé said:

Thanks for the data - that answers my question exactly, so updating your original notation to include the splits: 

Scored - Atyeo - 7 (5 H1, 2 H2), South Stand - 20 (4 H1, 16 H2)

Conceded - Atyeo - 7 (2 H1, 5 H2), South Stand - 16 (11 H1, 5H2)

And showing it reversed, by half as the primary measure:

Scored - First Half - 9 (5 Atyeo, 4 South), Second Half - 18 (2 Atyeo, 16 South)

Conceded - First Half - 13 (2 Atyeo, 11 South), Second Half - 10 (5 Atyeo, 5 South)

I would say that while City specifically are clearly a second half team at Ashton Gate, the trend in goals between the two ends of the pitch is far more pronounced for BOTH teams, and has no correlation simply to City's slow starts. Given that away teams score equally in the first and second half, why are they scoring far more frequently at the South Stand (16 vs 7). 

There IS something unusual here - 36 goals all at one end of the pitch, 14 at the other. Both teams equally affected. Nothing to do with half or team. It is an interesting psychological question. If it isn't the environment, the only reason I can think is both teams overcompensate knowing the other is attacking their fans, reducing both goals scored and conceded.

With you on that one!! :)

Is it the new Ashton Gate curse ???

If the Rugby has similar try stats, then that would be spooky!

7 hours ago, BCFC101 said:

Taking into account league games only:

Scored - Atyeo - 7, South Stand - 20

Conceded - Atyeo - 7, South Stand - 16

So it's definitely a factor but affecting both teams. Against West Brom, it was our decision to switch ends and shoot towards South Stand first which I'm sure was pre-planned to try get ahead in the first half.

The goals are smaller at the Atyeo end. 

Or are they further away???

10 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Agree 100%. The upper Lansdown, Atyeo side is out of the way and is never full anyway.

Having a whole end given to our rivals gives us a disadvantage. The bigger teams in the league fill it and if deffo helps them. Would have to sort out entrance and exit etc but it’s not impossible. It’s very common for away fans to have a corner out of the way somewhere. 

It would also benefit our atmosphere and the Lansdown may actually make some noise to counter the away fans

The problem is the Lansdown was designed to be our stand, so connecting concourses and shared entry/exit routes. Short of bolting external stairs to the outside or hampering where the home and away fans can exit then its not really feasible to chuck them up there.

Maybe if they introduce a 2nd tier on a remodelled Atyeo one day they can throw away fans up in the gods which making a lower level of home fans but i'd suggest we're far away from that currently.

In the post-match video at Villa Park Johnson said that it may be that Bristol City need to “learn a lesson” from that ground as they had their home fans in ends behind each goal. He also spoke about the club considering to what extent it was possible to move the away fans into the corner of a side stand - clearly the issue is not lost on him and I hope he can help to bring about positive changes next season to make sure we aren’t unnecessarily prejudicing ourselves with the ground layout.

Archived