IGNORED

Sad news for Coventry supporters

phantom

• Admin

Coventry City today provided an update to the EFL Board, as was requested.

The Football Club confirmed to the EFL that it is close to the Head of Terms stage with two groundshare options. Coventry City will now progress to working on finalising terms with the Clubs and Stadiums involved.

While it remains our number one priority to stay, we can confirm that unfortunately the Ricoh Arena is not one of the venues above. At this stage, Wasps continue to choose not to enter into talks with the Football Club while our Owners SISU continue legal action with Coventry City Council.

Regrettably, we therefore have had to make alternative plans to the Ricoh Arena, the stadium that was built for us, to ensure our place in the EFL next season. The groundshare proposals would do that.

This is not an easy situation, and we apologise to supporters that it has reached this stage and for the heartache which has been caused. 

Coventry City Football Club and its management team cannot affect the stances of Coventry City Council, Wasps or of our Owners in this situation – what we can do is put in plans to ensure this great Football Club continues to survive despite the impasse that exists, and that is what we will do.

4 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Shocking.

I guess that’s the issue when it comes to the football club no longer owning the ground that it plays in.

If you don’t own then you’re at the mercy of the landlord.....

Bristol City football club do not own Ashton gate and haven’t for a number of years, they also have to pay rent to play much like the rugby do.

We are also at the mercy of the landlord. 

Just now, AshtonPark said:

Bristol City football club do not own Ashton gate and haven’t for a number of years, they also have to pay rent to play much like the rugby do.

You don’t say ?

You’ve not read many of my earlier posts about The Messiah have you? ?

3 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

So is nearly every single football club in the league.

The situation with us is really rather complicated.

Bristol City FC and Ashton Gate Ltd are both owned by Bristol City Holdings Ltd, which is owned by Pula Sports Ltd who are based in Guernsey.

Pula Sports Ltd are then owned by another Guernsey based company Pula Ltd. 

Pula Ltd was set up a company based in the British Virgin Islands, owned by Lansdown. 

I think part of the problem is that the American Hedge Fund that own Coventry have pissed everyone off by continually sueing anyone they come in to contact with, to the point that the Rugby club just don't want them anymore

Sorry for the Coventry fans, and forever thankful to SL

The biggest villains throughout this difficult period for Coventry have been the Hedge Fund owners. Their priority was to use the football club to get their hands on the Ricoh Arena. And since Wasps moved in, the chances of that happening has become even more remote. Feel sorry for the fans because they don't deserve this. You also have to wonder exactly how the EFL assesses owners as being "fit and proper" when you see this and what has happened at Charlton, Blackpool and worst of all Leyton Orient.

Not too much sympathy for Cov FC (the club) as they've been complicit with Sisu's shenanigans for many years now. Even this press release stinks as they make out they're an innocent party when they're not, to be blunt. I'm no fan of Wasps but they should be allowed to fail or succeed on their own terms not because some have caused them to spend millions on legal fees already, not to mention attempting to strong arm the council and a charity into selling up at a reduced price going back on a previous arrangement.

This isn't like the dodgy takeover of the memorial ground by the gas, it's pretty clear cut. Cov FC even moved away before just to try and get the Ricoh on the cheap after previously failing to comply with payments. All that has to be done to resolve this situation amicably is for Cov FC to cease legals against the other parties but they aren't. It would benefit all if they did.

That said I do have sympathy for the well balanced fans. I hope Sisu sell up soon and a new, very reasonable deal can be struck with Wasps (as the latter have said they want, but obviously cannot with the current situation).

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The biggest villains throughout this difficult period for Coventry have been the Hedge Fund owners. Their priority was to use the football club to get their hands on the Ricoh Arena. And since Wasps moved in, the chances of that happening has become even more remote. Feel sorry for the fans because they don't deserve this. You also have to wonder exactly how the EFL assesses owners as being "fit and proper" when you see this and what has happened at Charlton, Blackpool and worst of all Leyton Orient.

Indeed. I feel for Coventry’s fans but, from all I have read, it seems this is very much a situation the club’s owners have brought on themselves.

Know a lot of Wasps fans and they think it's a terrible situation, as locals they want Cov playing at the Ricoh but feel that the Hedge Fund owner's continuous and on-going legal battles against them means they are frankly entitled to tell them to sod off.

Cov fans being very much hard done by here ?‍♂️

9 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Damn my last post reads poorly , shame there's no edit after a while... What I get for posting at silly o clock. ?

Lesson learned 

It reads perfectly well to me; I think you are setting your personal standards too high for a football forum!

They are the world repository for should of, would of, could of.  Loose instead of lose. Freely interchangeable usage of there/their affect/effect.  And ending sentences with a preposition.

However we all accept those minor transgressions without comments except for the rarely seen lesser-spotted grammer nazi.

2 hours ago, LondonBCFC said:

Know a lot of Wasps fans and they think it's a terrible situation, as locals they want Cov playing at the Ricoh but feel that the Hedge Fund owner's continuous and on-going legal battles against them means they are frankly entitled to tell them to sod off.

Cov fans being very much hard done by here ?‍♂️

It’s crazy when you think it’s “London” Wasps and they are playing in Coventry, in a football stadium built for Coventry City. 

I genuinely feel for the Coventry fans.  

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It reads perfectly well to me; I think you are setting your personal standards too high for a football forum!

They are the world repository for should of, would of, could of.  Loose instead of lose. Freely interchangeable usage of there/their affect/effect.  And ending sentences with a preposition.

However we all accept those minor transgressions without comments except for the rarely seen lesser-spotted grammer nazi.

Should be "comment" not "comments" in the context of the final sentence, surely? And "grammar" not "grammer" ?

Sorry...........................

20 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Should be "comment" not "comments" in the context of the final sentence, surely? And "grammar" not "grammer" ?

Sorry...........................

Crumbs, can't believe I wrote "grammer"!

I was aware that using the plural comments was not the stock expression but I thought using "comments" gave it more punch and is still correct; grammar nazis rarely restrict themselves to a single comment.

Though in my defence I wasn't correcting somebody else; rather I was saying that it doesn't matter here.  So I deliberately mis-spelt grammar.  Honest guv.

15 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Should have stayed at Highfield Road. I have very fond memories of that place. One amazing night in particular, in fact unforgetable for me.

You can trace their current plight back to their final years at Highfield Road:
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-citys-disastrous-mistake-sale-11993349

Once again, a club that seriously overstretched itself fell out of the Premier League and realised that money didn't grow on trees.

Anyone who thinks Steve Lansdown should spend our club into trouble by "splashing the cash" needs to think about the consequences 10 or 20 years down the line.

Will Coventry ever recover from this?  Probably not.  They took on debts of £60M at the end of the nineties and twenty years later are still paying a big price.  Really hard for the fans.

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s crazy when you think it’s “London” Wasps and they are playing in Coventry, in a football stadium built for Coventry City. 

In which case their obvious sponsor should be Ryanair !!  And the next flight for London Calais is scheduled for ..........................

Archived