IGNORED

Bland, grey Ashton Gate!

reddogkev

Went to the ground yesterday afternoon to browse the shop and walk down Marina Way with the kids, and it struck me how lacking the stadium is on a non matchday, in respect to image / City representation.

You could be forgiven for thinking you're at a conference centre / business park - which is absolutely fine if that's solely what you are.

Would it kill the stadium owners (and I do appreciate it isn't just City at the ground), to have a bit more City-related logo / imagery around the ground and on the cladding?

I'd love it if there was more red on display and a few more references to City.  Whenever you see a lot of other stadiums featured on the screen, they seem to have club-related logos, colours and images, and I suspect they have just as much business activity taking place during the week.

Anyone else agree, or is it fine as it is?  It would be good if the owners splashed a bit more colour / or even the new Robins badge on some of the Stadium cladding.

Even a large BCFC, of course created to a very high standard, at key, eye-catching places around the stadium walls.  Hell, throw in the Bristol Bears signs, after all Ashton Gate is a place of sport, not just bland, commercial enterprise!

Well, that's my Rant Over, what are your thoughts?

P.S I appreciate it is different on an evening match day, due to the impressive lighting effects.

Does it matter on a non match day? Appreciate you went for a wander but can’t imagine many head to take in the delights of bedminster. Most people tend to drive to the club shop and get in and out as quickly as possible.

But I guess your idea of more representation would be good but I’m pretty sure the money could be spent in better ways

I think the new branding has been in the pipeline for a while, now it’s finalised I’m sure more will be evident. I’ve been to other stadiums on a non match day too and at Arsenal for instance they not only have a few more statues but also quite a lot of photographs and noticeably more flags too. I’m not thinking we are in for more statues but flags all down Marina Dolman way could be good. I think we will see a lot more identity stuff when the Wickes/Dreams site is developed

On a non match day, the stadiums focus is on conferencing & events, so lack of football/Rugby related visual is probably very deliberate. 

Its not a museum. It’s a going business concern, and presented appropriately to its target market at any specific time. 

36 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Talking of grey AG ...I wonder if there are any plans to re-paint the underside of the Dolman roof which is decidely off-white. Not sure it was ever done as part of the re-fit.

Maybe while they're up there fixing the PA system?

?

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

I've often thought that the bit at the front of the Dolman roof that is angled down towards the pitch a little could do with something on it, even if it's just a cheesey "This Is Aston Gate" or somesuch

Space for two club badges either side of a central old style clock or 'Ashton Gate Stadium' 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Went to the ground yesterday afternoon to browse the shop and walk down Marina Way with the kids, and it struck me how lacking the stadium is on a non matchday, in respect to image / City representation.

You could be forgiven for thinking you're at a conference centre / business park - which is absolutely fine if that's solely what you are.

Would it kill the stadium owners (and I do appreciate it isn't just City at the ground), to have a bit more City-related logo / imagery around the ground and on the cladding?

I'd love it if there was more red on display and a few more references to City.  Whenever you see a lot of other stadiums featured on the screen, they seem to have club-related logos, colours and images, and I suspect they have just as much business activity taking place during the week.

Anyone else agree, or is it fine as it is?  It would be good if the owners splashed a bit more colour / or even the new Robins badge on some of the Stadium cladding.

Even a large BCFC, of course created to a very high standard, at key, eye-catching places around the stadium walls.  Hell, throw in the Bristol Bears signs, after all Ashton Gate is a place of sport, not just bland, commercial enterprise!

P.S I appreciate it is different on an evening match day, due to the impressive lighting effects.

Don't want that infantile parrot from the new badge.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Next season. It’s been said by JL and a few others when the new badge is official. Keep up kev ?

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

I think that they should move the Ashton 8 plaque to a more prominent position from it's current location behind the Atyeo stand

It’s not there anymore. It needs some repairing and so is currently in the cupboard in the SC&T bar while we sort that, and it’s new location out. :) 

I mentioned this when the new indoor arena for the Flyers was shown, there was nothing to suggest we even exists at the venue. I wonder if they can work on the Ashton Gate stadium angle so we can all feel it's our home without having to plaster the place in all our logos. The only thing is the outdoor screen showing our crest, but we all know that most of the time it is advertising or showing events. The Flyers however get a huge presence / flag, anyone driving along Winterstoke road wondering what that amazing conference/arena/stadium is will see a huge BRISTOL FLYERs logo and well, that's who it is... nice......   Maybe all three clubs should have their logos and the front 

Ashton-Gate-600x414.jpg

103464620_capture2.jpg

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

They’ve already said that the ground will start to have club logo now that it has been released, chill

13 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Bland and grey ..bit like your posts @reddogkev

14 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Talking of grey AG ...I wonder if there are any plans to re-paint the underside of the Dolman roof which is decidely off-white. Not sure it was ever done as part of the re-fit.

Maybe while they're up there fixing the PA system?

Thew new Dolman PA system is going through final testing at the moment.

1917388470_pasystem.jpg.75873d8f0737f66c1c259108dedad6a0.jpg

Totally agree, would love to see more of the badge, pictures around the ground, it does look very bland. Went to Anfield last month, the murals, signs and integration of the surrounding community was brilliant - created an amazing aura around the stadium. As @RedM says, they may have been waiting for the new badge and branding, so could see something rolled out over the summer  

7B28B8BE-D0DE-4C8E-92D9-4ACD6212011E.jpeg

232D225B-C46E-46E7-AE4C-8EBE1A1B0ED3.jpeg

031FBFC1-73CF-4A2F-A319-15BC63E47357.jpeg

7C26783D-B33D-4366-965E-1C5C6A532223.jpeg

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Those sound like fighting words to me, Spoons, get yourself ready for a good old-fashioned fist fight around the back of the Dolman!  Perhaps we can add our own shades of red to the cladding!

I'd say your posts are more purple and lime, reddogkev

Is that better? Bland grey, no

Archived